Green Room

Video: Vatican Dispatch, March 8th

posted at 1:40 pm on March 8, 2013 by

Normally I’ll post these Vatican video updates to the front page, but the big news from today is already there — the date of the conclave’s start.  Today’s update doesn’t contain much more information because I got to the media center so late in the day, thanks to my arrival time and general lack of sleep. Still, this should give a flavor of what to expect in future updates, and given the activity here in the media center, I’ll have a lot more to cover if I’m here all day:

Forgive the lighting and focus issues here — I had a couple of technical issues with the set-up that have since been resolved.  I would have reshot, but I had to ask “permesso, per favore” and get written authorization just for this set-up.  I didn’t want to have to start all over again.  One Italian journalist named Lalo happily volunteered to assist me, but I had resolved the issue already.  I might interview Lalo later, if he’s agreeable to it.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Buon lavoro Ed

cmsinaz on March 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

excellent Ed. Thanks so much for doing this.

CoffeeLover on March 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Live from the Vatican! It’s Ed Morrissey! (applause)

Good to see you officially up and running. Looks like you’ve got about 3-4 days to work out whatever bugs you come across.

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This is pretty cool. I’m glad you’re there to cover this for us.

I’m a Protestant, but fascinated by this process.

acasilaco on March 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The Sweet Sistine!

gwelf on March 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Buon lavoro Ed

cmsinaz on March 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Good showers?

GWB on March 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Look at Ed, almost like a real journalist. How’s it feel to be out of the pajamas and the basement for a change? /sarc

Congrats Ed!

jnelchef on March 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Ed, how long are you scheduled to remain in Rome? Do you have a fixed return date, or is it flexible depending on how long the conclave runs?

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Do we know if any of the HotAir bloggers are going to CPAC in Ed’s place?

JetBoy on March 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Great report today Ed. Get some sleep and rested up. Those eastbound trans-Atlantic flights are murder when it comes to jet lag. By the way, thanks for making an appearance on NTEMS today. Chris and Jett did a great job hosting the show. Looking forward to your daily reports.

simkeith on March 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Will video be the primary medium for your reporting from Rome? :(

Vatican Watcher on March 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Still rooting for Daniel Cardinal Dinardo, from Galveston/Houston diocese. A rock-star among holy men.

ttime500 on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

GWB on March 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

suppose to mean good job…

darn

cmsinaz on March 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

suppose to mean good job…

darn

cmsinaz on March 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ed, il tuo hovercraft è pieno di anguille!

That means “Do you have a lighter?” in Italian. Trust me. ;-)

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Ed, you should check this out:

Meet with some of your fellow Catholic new media types.

ttime500 on March 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

He was my bishop back when he first became a bishop. Why is he a rock star now?

Vatican Watcher on March 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM