Green Room

Report: Elisabeth Hasselbeck leaving “The View” because audience thinks she’s “too extreme and right-wing”

posted at 4:30 pm on March 8, 2013 by

Smells like something they’re putting out there because they know Hasselbeck intends to leave and they want to push a “she didn’t jump, she was pushed” spin. But look: If this is true, if soft-spoken, pro-gay-marriage, center-right Elisabeth Hasselbeck is too darned wingnutty for the “View” viewership, then no GOP candidate need ever appear on the show again. It’s pointless. You’ll never reach their audience.

The people have spoken. Elisabeth Hasselbeck, one of the five cohorts of ABC’s daytime talk show The View, will not be returning to the couch next season, following hot on the footsteps of fellow cohost Joy Behar, a source tells Us Weekly…

“The viewers they polled all said she was too extreme and right wing,” the insider tells Us. “People did not watch the show because of Elisabeth. So they told her yesterday her contract would not be renewed.”

Behar, the show’s most outspoken liberal, is leaving too and has reportedly already met with the new head of CNN, presumably about having her own show there. I wonder if she or Hasselbeck will have more opportunities post-”View.” I’ll bet on Behar. Because she’s so talented.

Exit question: Wasn’t Rosie O’Donnell, a no-apologies 9/11 Truther, happily accepted on this same show for years? She wasn’t “too extreme”?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Zucker’s really intent on driving CNN into the ground, isn’t he?

Doughboy on March 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I suspect they’ll replace Hasselbeck with Keith Olbermann in drag.

Mr. D on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

They call it “The View” because they only allow one.

beatcanvas on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Joy Behar already *had* a show on CNN, didn’t she?

I remember there used to be a billboard in Manhattan for her earlier show. It called her “the smartest woman on television.”

Joy Behar. Imagine that.

Kensington on March 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Rosie didn’t last too long. A year maybe.

Love the snark, AP!

22044 on March 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I suspect they’ll replace Hasselbeck with Keith Olbermann in drag.

Mr. D on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Dressing like a woman was Keith’s idea.

Kensington on March 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Elizabeth was the only reason for watching The View.
Awww, who am I kidding … I only saw part of it, once.

(that was when S.E.Cupp was a guest, over the issue of Hustler Magazine photo-shopping her in an obscene way)

listens2glenn on March 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Joy Behar already *had* a show on CNN, didn’t she?

Joy Behar. Imagine that.

Kensington on March 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

They should’a been smote by the God of Irony for that infraction.

squint on March 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Good for her to leave.
The audience for that group of hypocritical self-righteous harpies are nothing but brainless welfare queens anyway.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Bloated harpies.

CurtZHP on March 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

They should have Ann Coulter or Boss Emeritus give it a shot.

weaselyone on March 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM

That group of liberal creeps couldn`t stand it that a good looking and intelligent girl from Boston College is obviously brighter than they are

HAGGS99 on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Has the View ever had a male host in its entire history?

Where are the cries of sexism?

weaselyone on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

don’t think the View’s ever been viewed in my house

DanMan on March 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Job opening for Lindsey Graham.

steebo77 on March 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I think I’d rather serve a nickel in the big house than watch the view with or without the Hassel. That youg lady is a far piece from what I would call right wing much less extreme right wing. For heavens sakes, she lives in NYC. If you drive there your consider right wing.

rik on March 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Has the View ever had a male host in its entire history?

Where are the cries of sexism?

weaselyone on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The View is only supposed to be women. To get the full context, you have to go back to when the show debuted. At the same time, Dick Clark debuted a show that was all men – basically same casual format. I don’t remember everyone who was on there but do remember Mario Lopez and Danny Bonaduce. That show was great but it was cancelled and Babawa Walter’s show was kept.

Greyledge Gal on March 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Job opening for Lindsey Graham.

steebo77 on March 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Don’t be surprised if McPain’s spawn is hired. Maybe they’ll hire Graham cracker’s boyfriend. Good fit. Yech!!

rik on March 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Has the View ever had a male host in its entire history?

Where are the cries of sexism?

weaselyone on March 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yea but he quit (rosie)

rik on March 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

If true, another example of the intolerance of libs, lefties, and Dems.

Lefties and socialists are among the most prickly intolerant judgmental self-righteous people on the planet. They also love stereotyping and pigeon-holing people who oppose them. In fact, you don’t even have to oppose them. Just questioning them can elicit such behavior. Sometimes the mere perception that you might not agree with them will do it.

farsighted on March 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Evil fascist girly girl probably practices voodoo with MKH at their girly girl sorority.

Seth Halpern on March 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

The job I was just let go from was in a home office. The woman (obamabot)I worked for had the tv on all day. After the today show she would turn on this bs every day. She loooooved Whoopie and Joy. It took all my strength not to barf on my keyboard. She also thought that Moochelle was soooo down to earth. Not having to listen to this crap anymore is the one silver lining to losing my job.

BeachBum on March 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

John McCain will need a job after he gets primaried…

burserker on March 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Testing… I had a comment dropped over ten minutes ago on this thread. Can’t repost because “you already said that”. Testing to see if this posts.

farsighted on March 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Ashley Judd would be better off going for the View than for Senate. That said, I find it incredibly depressing that people claim they won’t watch the show because of Elizabeth.

There is no pride to be had in refusing to listen to another point of view. 1 out of 5 should hardly be that oppressive.

earlgrey133 on March 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM

She should sue them for deliberately creating a hostile working environment.

Christien on March 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM

People who didn’t watch the view because they thought Hasselbeck was too extreme: how did they know if they never watched the show?

RedRedRice on March 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don’t know anyone that watches that show. Not one single person. Whatever they say about it could all be made up as far as I would know. Oh, wait! If it is the Left talking, it is all made up.

BetseyRoss on March 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

They call it “The View” because they only allow one.

beatcanvas on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Heh.

SailorMark on March 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I suspect they’ll replace Hasselbeck with Keith Olbermann in drag.

Mr. D on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Is the table they sit around big enough to accommodate a bathtub?

Nethicus on March 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The show itself might have just about run its course. I remember when “The View” used to be good for outrageously outrageous soundbites on a semi-regular basis. I can’t remember the last time we had a “View” clip demonstrating the left-wing idiocy of its hosts and studio audience.

Um, that’s not a request for more “View” posts, guys. Let this show die.

JimLennon on March 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Might I suggest some replacements in no particular order?

Michelle Malkin
Jedidiah Bila
Ann Coulter
Sarah Palin

Odysseus on March 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The way that article reads, it seems to me that whoever wrote it or “released” the info is making stuff up.

Joy Behar is the reason I can’t watch that show. If they dump Elisabeth, I won’t even try to see what it it like without Behar.

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Sarah Palin

Odysseus on March 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

They would be terrified of that. Sarah, in spite of the slurs in the lefty media, would talk circles around the libs on this show.

And could you see Sarah residing in NYC after living in her beautiful home on the lake in AK? And with their strict gun laws and high taxes? I don’t.

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Didn’t Behar already have a spin on CNN? Is Zuckerman going to make her watchable? I don’t think so. I don’t watch The View but the few clips I’ve seen I would have been hard pressed to know what Elizabeth’s views were, she was too polite to stop the others from talking over her.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Elisabeth Hasselback always looked and sounded like the nice, clean, pretty, Christian girl cornered alone in the high school bathroom by the dirty, fat, inbred, wiccan losers, being forced to say things like “No, really, I never told Suzy I thought you were fat. I think you’re…ummm…pretty…can I go now?”

Yeah. She was a real right-winger, that one, all the time telling Mr. Goldberg she essentially agreed with him…and that he was pretty.

Rational Thought on March 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Brooke Shields.

meci on March 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

farsighted on March 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

You may have run afoul of the infamous banned words list, which is supposed to keep nasty far right and left wing topics off the boards.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

It is ‘Us Magazine’ that specializes in these blind quotes from anonymous sources after all

narciso on March 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yeah right. What’s the REAL reason, you liberal skank?

MelonCollie on March 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I will laugh loudly when I see the news about Babs “ending” The View. When the reality is that ABC was going to cancel it but they let Babs save face. We will know the truth.

Moesart on March 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Elizabeth is the only one with “class” on the whole show. Whoopie looks and acts like a strung out “bag lady” most of the time. Joy is “joyless” most of the time complaining about the republicans. Sherry has had so many “abortions she can’t recall how many” and Barbara is Barbara. These women treat the Obama’s like “gods” and treat republicans like crap. You couldn’t pay me to watch this show and I hope Elizabeth does well for herself after leaving.

KCinLV on March 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Rational Thought on March 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Looked? No, she dresses too slutty.

Sounded? No, she’s in favor of perverting the institution of marriage, & she celebrates that statistically very unhealthy homosexual lifestyle.

itsnotaboutme on March 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Sherry has had so many “abortions she can’t recall how many”

Seriously? She said that? Hopefully with tears of regret.

and Barbara is Barbara

KCinLV on March 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

…the Hugo Chavez idolater.

itsnotaboutme on March 9, 2013 at 4:52 AM

The View? What’s that?

HiJack on March 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM

“The viewers they polled all said she was too extreme and right wing,”

That is the message the media wants to spread. Ordinary republicans and conservatives must be wing nuts. Nothing new of course.

Fleuries on March 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Without Hasselbeck, the show will be like the opening scene of Macbeth.

virgo on March 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Allahpundit

Silly blogger ….. everybody knows the views of Rosie “O” and Joy Behar are right square dab, in the middle of the Overton Window.

If your to the right of them, then you’re a “right-wing extremist”.

If your to the left of them, then you don’t exist.

listens2glenn on March 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM