Green Room

Video: Are you ready for the taser sword?

posted at 11:04 am on March 6, 2013 by

Via io9, good lord. How did Hollywood not think of this first? (No, lightsabers don’t count.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Whoa….

workingclass artist on March 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

How long until it’s outlawed or you need a permit…

right2bright on March 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Step up from a cattle prod I guess.

Snowblind on March 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Can this be ordered in klingon bat’leth form?

portlandon on March 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Can this be ordered in kling-on bat’leth form?

portlandon on March 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

AP, did you not watch ep3? Grievous’ bodyguards had it done. Granted, theirs were staff-like, but yes, Hollywood already did it.

nobar on March 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Looks cool, pretty much the sum of it. Looks.

astonerii on March 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM

So, the sharp edge is kind of counter productive.

Count to 10 on March 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Because the video game industry beet them to it decades ago.
There have been “taser swords” of various types in video games since the early 90′s.

Count to 10 on March 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

See?

You don’t need guns.

Good Lt on March 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Klingon’s already have them, it is called a Painstik.

Snowblind on March 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Don’t taze me bro!

Imrahil on March 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Taking a cue from lightsabers, I’d like to see a two-bladed Darth Maul model.

Bigfoot on March 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

So, the sharp edge is kind of counter productive.

Count to 10 on March 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Not necessarily. Though, if you see the other videos the guy put up, they did try it out. Taser works as a taser should. As for it being on a sword or long knife… well, part of that can be intimidation factor and part of it can be for a secondary/primary injury.

People might not necessarily know they’re cut, or at least will have a little bit of time before the pain kicks in. The taser will knock you back first. So, the taser sword gives a double hit with one strike.

Of course, having an opportunity to use it is something else entirely as well as ability to handle close, aggravated interaction. Thus, Indiana Jones comes to mind. Don’t bring a sword to a gun fight.

Logus on March 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

See?

You don’t need guns.

Good Lt on March 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I like a gun because it means I don’t necessarily have to do close, personal combat. For example, we’re 30 feet away from each other and you pull a sword out a charge me. I pull my gun out and empty the clip at you before you are within 15 feet. You could not have touched me until you were within 10 feet of me, but I eliminated your threat because my gun removes the need for me to be able to reach out and touch you. I like that. It is another reason why the gun is not only an equalizer, but often a superior weapon.

woodNfish on March 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

How did Hollywood not think of this first?

I’ve seen nightsticks that render people unconscious in the movies, Demolition Man (1993) for example.

agmartin on March 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Very neat to be sure but combining a lethal and less-lethal weapon makes no sense.

RedNewEnglander on March 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

RedNewEnglander on March 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think they can.

Consider that many times, in a situation wherein such a device/weapon would be or is used, adrenaline is pumping.

For that matter, the situation can be the same even in a normal, everyday concern. When you accidentally cut your finger while cutting veggies, you don’t always feel the pain immediately. There’ve been times I’ve nicked myself and never realized it until several minutes later.

Combine that with adrenaline in a chaotic situation. You cut the guy, he may not realize it and could potentially keep going for a little bit depending upon what was done to him. The taser would knock him down immediately… then, the coup de gras would be whatever injury the blade itself inflicts.

The taser’s effects might be temporary. The blade’s effects can last quite a bit longer…

The two together are sensible in that respect as a defensive weapon; though again, no match for a gun which combines both aspects in a smaller package.

Logus on March 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM