Green Room

Video: New Rochelle 61, Mount Vernon 60

posted at 11:16 am on March 4, 2013 by

Everyone wants to interview Khalil Edney, the kid who hit the buzzer-beater, but there’s no story there. He kept his head in the game to the very last moment and made an incredible fluke shot. Case closed.

The real story here is the Mount Vernon player who caught the ball at halfcourt and lofted it up instead of holding it and taking the foul. That’s a tragedy worthy of ancient Greece. Get cracking, media.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

lofted it up instead of holding it and taking the foul

I think he was trying to get a shooting foul. Which he didn’t need, of course. It would have been a heads-up play in any other circumstance.

TexasDan on March 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I dunno. I just watched the replay a few times (no, I haven’t watched dictator lovin’ SportsCenter for their analysis) and I think he didn’t get the shot off. Still amazing that he made it from there, especially in that game situation.

Oh stop. The kid is hating life right about now. Leave him alone. They don’t need to pile on him.

conservative pilgrim on March 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

We’ve all been there, done that.

John the Libertarian on March 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I think I’ll give a high school kid a break on that play. A pro or even a college kid, I might see it differently.

Bitter Clinger on March 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I was talking to a old friend of mine last week that gave up a game winning home run in a state champ game way back in the 80’s.

He said he still gets reminded of it by somebody almost every day of the week. Small town. I told him I would have moved away years ago.

So, this kind of thing can be brutal to a person for years.

Moesart on March 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Gotta give those refs a lot of credit for making that call without the benefit of replay. By overruling the initial call they left themselves with a big target on their backs. I can’t imagine anyone was as happy as they were when they discovered they’d got it right — by 0.1 seconds.

KGB on March 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

That post-shot pile up was wild.

“Yay! He won the game for us! Let’s smother him to death!!”

CurtZHP on March 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Video 1:56… New Rochelle HUGUENOTS??? That sounds like it oughta be offensive to somebody…

Marcola on March 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

AP: The NR player was clearly trying to thrown the ball to a teammate, not just throw it up in the air. It was just a poor pass, with a defender behind the intended receiver. Kinda sorta like a sideline out pass in football getting picked off.

BigAlSouth on March 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Moral of the Story:

Even though America is getting f%#ked by Obutthead, we still have time to pull off a victory!

IF ONLY

NOMOBO on March 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus