Green Room

Down-home Kentucky populist: Mountaintop coal removal is a bit like rape

posted at 6:20 pm on March 4, 2013 by

These videos of her sounding completely politically tone-deaf are supposed to reassure me, right? Well, they don’t. Quite the contrary. Every time I watch her, I think, “What if McConnell actually ends up losing — in Kentucky — to this liberal cartoon?” Where do we go from there? It’s one thing for an increasingly blue America to elect Obama twice, it’s another for a red state to send a caricature of a self-serious Socially Conscious liberal to join Rand Paul in the Senate.

If we lose, I think that’s it. It’s all over. Click the image to watch.

aj

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Where do we go from there?

I already said it. They elect Judd or Affleck, you run Selleck/Willis in 2016. If people want government of/by/for celebrities, give it to them.

Christien on March 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Well at least she pronounced “Appalachia” correctly.

Brat on March 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’ve read a lot of comments from leftys who also think she is nuts. I’d like to know why she is always addressing the National Press Club.

Anyway, on the same page was a video of dogs sneezing which was much more interesting: http://www.buzzfeed.com/nelly06/supercut-of-puppies-sneezing-9dpe

Blake on March 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Chill out, AP. No way this bimbo wins in Kentucky. New York, California, maybe so. But not KY, no matter how unpopular McConnell is.

Athanasius on March 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

So are the Coal mines the vajay jay?

portlandon on March 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Well at least she pronounced “Appalachia” correctly.

Brat on March 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

True, but she followed it up with “holler”. Kinda reminded me of Joe Biden’s awkward, insulting attempts to pander to people in coal country by talking like he’s heard hicks talk in the movies.

And if she’s as stupid as Biden, no way she could get elected to anything, right?

forest on March 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Shotgun Joe has never won an election outside of Delaware (being dragged into office on The One’s ticket doesn’t count). He would never have been elected to anything statewide in Kentucky. Neither will Judd.

Athanasius on March 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Rape, rape? Or, legitimate rape? Seems like if conservatives even utter the WORD

waterytart on March 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

sorry, hit submit! To finish my thought, even if we utter the word in any context it’s enough to kiss an election good bye. We’re never gonna win if we continue to let them control words and definitions thereof.

I don’t care what context she used the word in, we need to blow the whole RAPE thing out of proportion the same way the libs do, until she’s defending the act of rape, as opposed to defending her utilization of the word.

waterytart on March 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Nationalize this bimbo.

Illinidiva on March 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

When is she going to hire Todd Akin as her campaign manager?

RSbrewer on March 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Where do we go from there?

What is being asked here isn’t really so much “where will we go.” Rather this is a litmus test to see how far gone we already are.

We already know that we have a media that is a Democratic party propaganda machine. We already know that electoral fraud is a reality in urban centers. We already know that we’re playing against a set of stacked rules. The only question to be answered here is whether all that is already at such an irreparable point that our electoral politics have the same legitimacy as Ukraine, Russia, Venezuela, or whether there are still some years left of weak refusal to fight before the left has destroyed us in such a manner.

Gingotts on March 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

‘Forward-leaning LADY PARTS’ wanna-be candidate plays ‘Mother Earth Gaia evil-coal-mine RAPE CARD’

Pork-Chop on March 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Well we know where they are putting all that coal, they are packing it in her cheeks!

She should really go to one of those fancy plastic surgeons in that there Hollywood where she makes them motion pictures and have them remove it.

Either that or she is raping the restylane supply and there is going to be mass rioting among the over 30 in California!

Tilly on March 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

If we all lived like Ted Kaczynski, we wouldn’t need any coal.

Just watch Ashley. She’ll be leading the way there, like the good, dedicated idealist she is.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. . . . . . . .

Okay … catching my breath again ….. I was only able to keep a ‘straight face’ for three lines, after that !

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Honey… Why do you think the face is already puffy? Work has already been done.

Illinidiva on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Red comment icon ! … What do I win?

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

“the coal companies are cunning, callous and greedy.”

Quite unlike a rich Hollywood millionaire using rape analogies in an attempt to gain power.

ButterflyDragon on March 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Pity she’s not running in MN; I believe its state bird is the loon.

Wethal on March 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

If it’s a legitimate rape, the mountain top has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

steebo77 on March 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I would expect a self-professed three-time rape survivor to know better than to make that comparison.

blammm on March 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

it must be fun to be a liberal and also a celebrity because you get to use whatever hyperbole you want and make whatever accusations of rape you want and you get applause.

Conan on March 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Honey… Why do you think the face is already puffy? Work has already been done.

Illinidiva on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

For once we agree> For an actress who is only 44 (and childless at that), Ashly Judd looks horrible. But, they do say politics is theater for the unattractive.

bw222 on March 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I actually have sympathy for your thought we could lose to this liberal cartoon. We shouldn’t make the mistake though that the Obama machine and political cult can pull ANYBODY the Dems put up over the finish line. You can read even over at Salon that they see the same problems facing them in 2014 that they faced in 2010 when they certainly didn’t pull an Ashley Judd over the finish line against an incumbent Minority leader. Don’t discount the fact McConnell is a powerful Senator that can help Kentucky and survived a challenge in the 2008 Obama wave.

Conan on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Click the image to watch.

Do I have to?

Rusty Bill on March 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That’s actually pretty common terminology among the opponents of mountaintop removal. If you’ve ever seen one of these sites (and I’ll admit I have only done so from the air, but that was bad enough) it’s pretty shocking.

But a few months after an election in which real rape was such a big issue, to say this is a poor choice of words is an understatement.

rockmom on March 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I hate to say this, because I think she’s disgusting, but this conservative Kentuckian is thinking of voting FOR her under the heading of “LET IT BURN!”.

I am increasingly of the belief that the best thing we conservatives can do given the utter incompetence and anti-conservative, pro big government nature of the Republican establishment is to vote Democrat so we just get the collapse over with.

wildcat72 on March 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

bw222 on March 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I have a theory, that women who make it to menopause childless and marriage-less go insane.

See: Ann Coulter of the last year.

wildcat72 on March 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

“Never go full eeyore.” I wish we had a Sgt. Lincoln Osiris voice dub

guido911 on March 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Mountaintop coal removal is a bit like rape

LOL

BoxHead1 on March 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if she thinks coal mining is “legitimate rape“. I can’t believe no one’s questioned her about the unfortunate choice of words. Heh!

If we lived in world with a serious media environment, a bad rape analogy would doom a Senate candidate of either Party. Oh well…

Kenz on March 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

The Stupid!!! IT BURNNNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Blu3Yeti on March 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

See: Ann Coulter of the last year.

wildcat72 on March 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Except Ashley Judd was married. Perhaps it doesn’t count if it’s a publicity marriage mainly to play the role of spotlight racing wife, with no true closeness, no shared last name, no common interest, no mutual goals or growth. Of course in fairness, other than the no shared name part, I can’t say I know anything about her recently ended marriage. Though they did apparently both like to go far north during winter or something…

Gingotts on March 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Don’t you mean “down home TENNESSEE populist?

Dan Tanna on March 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM

When is she going to hire Todd Akin as her campaign manager?

RSbrewer on March 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

If you blow up a mountain and there’s no coal, is it legitimate rape?

JellyToast on March 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM

She’s a hypocrite for marrying a person whose career was dedicated for burning fossil fuels solely for the purpose of entertainment.

blammm on March 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Just what we need . . . more mentally warped make believe artists to guide our country.

rplat on March 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

So Ashley, what do you think about Plate tectonics?
Erosion?
Mother Gaia rapes herself on a daily basis.

Badger40 on March 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Don’t you mean “down home TENNESSEE populist?

Dan Tanna on March 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM

We don’t claim her.

CycloneCDB on March 5, 2013 at 8:25 AM

rockmom on March 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I know your stance on things & respect your opinion greatly.
When the land is changed from its original condition, it’s always shocking.
The planting of monoculture crops in vast swaths, well I find that shocking. But it is what it is.
The big coal mine at Beulah in ND here is a strip mind. But I guess more people aren’t properly shocked by it bcs it’s ND & we don’t have big hills like KY has.
Those mining companies, as you probably know, have to leave the land as they found it after the operation is over.
The rules & regs for mining have come a long way & have changed strip mining permanently.
Many for the good.
Coal country in KY is beautiful. When I see whole mountaintops cleared off for coal or even rock quarries, I’m not shocked.
Bcs I know what they’re doing & how they’ll leave it.

Badger40 on March 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

If we lose, I think that’s it. It’s all over.

AP, we have Al Franken in the Senate. AL Freakin FRANKEN for crying out loud. You don’t think a photogenic, beautiful woman who has significant name recognition and two decades of practice memorizing and spewing out what other people wrote for her can outmaneuver Mitch McConnell, who frankly is about as compelling as a milk carton left out on the kitchen counter since the morning?
I’d be scared, very scared that she would stay in for the long haul. McConnell doesn’t have the balls to fight. He’d put on the dour face and try to “stick to the issues” while she’s on every radio and tv news show.
His only chance would be to hammer her endlessly and take no prisoners. Force her to be on the defensive.

smfic on March 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM

We didn’t think Al ‘freakin’ Franken could win either, remember. Florida reelected foul mouthed Grayson again. Strange things happen in politics. Has she found a residence in Ky yet?

Kissmygrits on March 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM

So Ashley, what do you think about Plate tectonics?
Erosion?
Mother Gaia rapes herself on a daily basis.

Badger40 on March 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

That’s masturbation, not rape.

trs on March 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Mountaintop coal removal wind turbines is a bit like rape

petefrt on March 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Click the image to watch.

I don’t haf’ta and you can’t make me!

Herb on March 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

You know, if you just leave the planet alone for a few million years it’s likely to tear that mountaintop up whether we mine the coal or not. May as well give plate tectonics a little hand up, so to speak.

Bob's Kid on March 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM

But is it rape rape Ms. Judd?

Grape Ape.

Logus on March 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I wish I could find the article I read a while back about Ms. Judd. Evidently some journalist had spent the day with Ms. Judd, much of it riding with her – I think they were in Africa – concerning some non-profit charitable work with which she was involved. The author started out thinking highly of Ms. Judd, but by the end of the journey and article, realized what a stuck up, fake ignoramus she is.

Logus on March 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Mountaintop coal removal is a bit like rape

And the coal mine is like a vaginal ultrasound, right?

Marcola on March 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM