Green Room

Video: “There is a sadness in Rome”

posted at 9:37 am on March 1, 2013 by

I’m not predicting an American Pope, but I would say that Cardinal Timothy Dolan would make a fine pontiff if that time came this month. He’s remarkably straightforward, humble, and engaging — and all of those qualities are on display in an interview from Rome today with CBS. Dolan tells Charlie Rose and Norah O’Donnell that “there is a sadness in Rome” while the Pope’s office remains vacant, but that the cardinals want to take their time before getting into a conclave — and the time frame seems to suggest the March 11th date that has been floating around the last few days:

Dolan addresses the issue of scandal in a straightforward manner, saying that “realism” forces the college of cardinals to consider how best to address reform, but that this is an ongoing issue in a human organization — even the church founded by Jesus Christ.

As I wrote earlier today and announced on the Hugh Hewitt show last night, I will be traveling to Rome to cover this conclave for Hot Air.  I have received credentials from the Vatican and will have access to the press center and media events, and I’m beginning to make contacts for interesting stories and on-camera interviews.  I’ll also cast a closer look on Eurozone stories, perhaps especially the impact of the Italian elections on the European debt crisis.  I may be there for as long as two weeks, depending on the conclave’s length and the events surrounding it.  It’s a once-a-generation event in most cases, and it’s a big story in both the secular and faith contexts.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Great news! Look forward to your reports from the Eternal City.

Ted Torgerson on March 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

As a non-Catholic, I’m probably thinking too strategically about the selection of the next Pope, but an American would make a ton of sense to me. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the US Catholic Church is really only place (or one of very few) in the world where the Catholic Church is a) huge b) fairly vibrant and c) wealthy.

The dying mainline protestant churches (one of which I am a member of) can continue to hang on for a little bit because they largely do not have vast world wide infrastructure and ministry to support. Roman Catholicism does not have that option. They need the American church to remain strong to bankroll everything else.

LukeinNE on March 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Am I the only one happy for the guy? He’s worked all his life and now he gets to relax.

Blake on March 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Blake on March 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

You’re not the only one.

I hope that we have a new Papa by Easter. That would be awesome.

thebrokenrattle on March 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I’m so happy for you Ed. I’m sure this is going to be a deeply moving opportunity for you and I’m looking forward to reading your insights and observations.

PrincipleStand on March 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I don’t follow Mary or Peter so I don’t have a dog in the fight, per se…

Dolan is a cretin, a heretic and is on the path to hell himself for his politicking, which is nothing more than throwing the sheep to the wolves so that he can get invited to parties with politicians and celebs and fancy himself a “cool guy”. Dolan is the kind of guy who will tell you what you want to hear with enormous faux-earnestness, and then ten seconds later tell the next person exactly the opposite with exactly the same level of faux-earnestness. His rehearsed faux-sincerity fools some people, sadly, but not everyone.

My favorite Dolanism is the ponderously-chewing-on-the-glasses move, which he must have spent many an hour rehearsing in the mirror. He does it at the 5:30 mark while the ACTIVE SODOMITE CLUB is introduced and cheered in the middle of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.

Link to video.

Link to article.

tom daschle concerned on March 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Sounds like a great experience Ed, and yet at some level, I also wonder that if we wanted an abundance of Pope-related-Catholic news, there are probably sites that focus on that already?

Have a safe trip, and a great experience!

Midas on March 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hey, Ed! Etna is erupting.

Blake on March 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Ed,

Good luck and God bless you in your travels.

JimLennon on March 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Wow, have a great trip Ed.

CoffeeLover on March 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wow is right! What a fabulous opportunity.

Ed, have a safe and Blessed journey.

aquaviva on March 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Ed Morrissey: “…the church founded by Jesus Christ.”

Jesus Christ did not found the Catholic church. When Christ gave Peter his name, which means “rock”, he told Peter that “upon this rock I will build my church.” What he meant is that God is in all of us and there is no need for organized religion or brick and mortar churches. You have only to look inside yourself.

I learned this as a child in theology class in Catholic school. That was the day when I left the church because I knew right then that all the other crap was just a bunch of dogmatic BS. Especially the ridiculous stupidity of requiring priests and nuns to be celibate. the Catholic church created their own monster with that policy and until they reverse it, it will continue to haunt them.

The catholic church does a lot of good, it has also done a lot of harm, but it is what it is – a human organization. I have no problem with people wanting to come together as a community in faith, but please don’t pretend that Christ founded the Catholic church. Jesus was a Jew and he died as one. He never renounced his religion.

woodNfish on March 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Buon viaggio, Ed! Looking forward to reading your reports from la Citta’ Eterna!

JoAnn