Green Room

Video: Breitbart’s finest hour?

posted at 12:02 pm on March 1, 2013 by

One year ago, many of us awoke to the sickening news that beloved conservative mischief-maker Andrew Breitbart had died suddenly of a heart attack.  He was 43.  As we pause to honor Andrew’s legacy and wonderfully unorthodox contributions to the movement, here’s a look back at what goes down in my book as his single greatest moment of political guerrilla warfare — the day he half-accidentally hijacked embattled Rep. Anthony Weiner’s press conference.  Surreal:

“I’m Andrew Breitbart, by the way.”

Rest in Peace, friend.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

That was a pretty funny event. o_0

Logus on March 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Andrew had a lot of great media moments….this was one of his best.

RIP

Thanks for putting up the clip.

CoffeeLover on March 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That was a pretty funny event. o_0

Logus on March 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It was, and like all good humor, it was grounded in truth. Agree or disagree with Breitbart, he was definitely seeking the truth. RIP Andrew.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM

We sure could use a lot more like Breitbart.

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

His finest hour is degraded significantly by his proudest hour.

GOProud Party Breitbart’s Proudest Hour

Also, probably his greatest contribution to the future of our society as it was his support of GOProud that gave cover for Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), Scott Brown (R-Mass.), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), George Voinovich (R-Ohio), John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) to vote to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

Now, when we see states going pro gay marriage as the service members return home demanding their in service marriages be recognized by the states, we can all thanks Breitbart for having accomplished this goal.

Nothing says libertarian more than adding to the rolls of government dependents.

astonerii on March 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I’ve noticed a pattern of (arguably unconscious?) deprecation that goes on when remembering Breitbart. This takes the form of such terms as “conservative mischief-maker” and “patriotic goofball” and “provocateur,” etc.

In fact, Andrew Breitbart was the most significant cultural figure in the anti-Leftist freedom movement in my life. No one before had exposed, defined and manifestly and spectacularly addressed the scourge of the Left like Andrew did. No one has since. Not even close. He introduced the possibility and demonstrated the reality of a new dynamic of joyul, fearless and confrontational discourse that totally upended the Leftist’s world. No one — NO ONE — had walked into their dens and taken them on. He named them, engaged them, called them out, openly mocked them, and reveled in the process of it all. This simpy wan’t done. Conservatives were supposed to appear polite and deferential in public venues, take our medicine and our spankings at the hands of our betters, and then retreat to think tanks or op-ed pages or blogs to vent our impotent frustration among ouselves. Few even dared utter the term “Leftist” in public settings.

Breitbart changed all that. He blew up the paradigm. And since he died, we’ve allowed the Left to reconstruct the paradigm. We’ve lost ground on every front. How sad.

rrpjr on March 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

rrpjr, you are absolutely right.

I miss this man so much. It seems like everything has fallen apart since he died. The media is worse than ever and we don’t seem to have a way of fighting back anymore. It’s so depressing.

CookeyD on March 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

When he died many of us mourned and were as shocked as if we knew him, even though most of us never did. I think it was because we knew he was fighting on our behalf, doing things that it’d never occurred to us to do. Hopefully it made us a little more courageous about taking on the leftists in our circles too. I know I got more mouthy as a result.

Had never truly grieved someone before that I never knew; a bizarre experience. Still miss him so much.

inviolet on March 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Has anyone followed up on the totally coincidental arsenic poisoning murder of a coroner which occurred at the same office that autopsied Breitbart just before Breitbart’s autopsy was released to the public?

scotash on March 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

As someone who liked to have a lot of fun in my younger days, and to attempt use a sad event to help others, I’d like to advise those out there in their mid 30’s to really start to think about taking better care of themselves and to cut back on their bad habits. I quit smoking at 39 because I could feel them destroying my health and I wish I had done so 10 years earlier. The damage has been done and I have to live with it. But the message I’m trying to say is that you really should begin taking better care of yourselves beginning in your 30’s so that your later years will be more enjoyable for you and your loved ones. Also take breaks from your computer use because prolonged sitting isn’t good for you. As a blog reader I miss Breitbart for selfish reasons, but as a widower and father I am really sad thinking about Breitbart’s children who no longer have their Dad and for his wife.

OxyCon on March 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, that was one of the good ones. The really really good ones.

Bob's Kid on March 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

A beautiful haunting song (h/t bluefox):

In Memoriam–Tribute to Andrew Breitbart: I Can’t Stand to Say Goodbye (Original Song)

Fallon on March 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Slightly OT.

Why in the 21st cent. do we still have to be subjected to questions at news conferences which sound like “….congressman erugh, mumble last…grfgrf………kerbumble”?

A Big Ear placed on the sidelines can get a clear voice from a quarterback from forty yards away. Still a White house press conference has questions a Martian might understand.

Rant over.

FOWG1 on March 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Certain the election and history would be different if he was still alive.

I’ll turn 43 this week and my health is a wreck. In the last 6 monthes I’ve had a stroke, heart attack, a 6 way by-pass, and currently fighting a staff infection that could have taken my leg. Never smoked, did drugs, and almost never drank. Just bad diet and no time at the gym. It CAN happen. It will be a total surprise, be scary as hell, and will utterly your and your family’s life. I’ve gone from someone who got things done and took care of people to being totally dependet on my sister and her kids. My life is upside down and I don’t know if it will ever be the same.

For God’s sake, take care of yourself.

Boogeyman on March 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Boogeyman on March 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I hope you can turn things around. Best wishes.

rrpjr on March 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I regret Breitbart did not live to witness November 6 2012 … like fellow bomb-thrower Michael Walsh, he would undoubtedly have predicted a Romney landslide and then started taunting the Dems even before election night.

mlindroo on March 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Boogeyman on March 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Not meaning to sound bitter here, but what additional value did Breitbart’s work bring to his family and most loved ones? Based on what I’ve read, his brash and hectic lifestyle (stress, not enough time for exercise or healthy food, and probably quite a lot of constant anger and agitation despite publicly playing the “happy warrior”) seems to have contributed to his premature death.

Kudos to him for chasing his dreams as a political activist. But he should have made his own health and (by extension-) his family his number one priority.

mlindroo on March 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM

mlindroo on March 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Maybe he could ONLY pursue his goals by burning through himself. Life is tragic and character is fate. It’s good to think of family security and all the guarantees for loved ones we can try to construct for ourselves in the modern life (and we really don’t know what sort of safeguards Andrew Breitbart set up for his family), but this is an existential matter for each individual (and often not one available to detached analysis). It’s not ours to second-guess. I’d like to think Breitbart lived it how he meant to live it, i.e., having made Achilles’ choice.

rrpjr on March 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”