Green Room

Noted down-home Kentucky populist: I winter in Scotland

posted at 6:52 pm on March 1, 2013 by

Enough stuff like this will slip out over the course of a Senate campaign to expose her as the rich elitist liberal caricature that she is, but I’ll repeat my warning here not to underestimate her. The country just elected a celebrity president not once but twice. Her messaging will improve; her film career has already given her presence in front of the camera. McConnell should win, but I bet it’ll be harder than we all expect.

Incidentally, I thought most Kentuckians wintered on the Riviera. Is that not a thing anymore?

Update: Actual quote from today’s presser: “No talk is ever complete without talking about Bono.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cue commenters saying that Ashley Judd is unattractive in 1 … 2 … 3 ….

(Note: My point is that such comments are not particularly useful or relevant.)

J.S.K. on March 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Strongly agree. After the last election I hold no faith in the majority of Americans having the common sense to discern the elitism much less the mendacity of progressives.
Not that I have much use for typical GOP wanks ‘er wonks like McConnell.

sanjuro on March 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I’m not normally one to defend Ashley Judd, but her (soon-to-be ex-) husband is from Scotland.

steebo77 on March 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Uh, no. We usually went to Buzzard Rock near Kuttawa. An’ I’ll give you a gee-dunk if you pronounce that correctly :-)

Oldnuke on March 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Choosing to spend winter in Scotland instead of New Zealand, Australia or the Caribbean should automatically disqualify a person from office. We have enough morons in government.

ButterflyDragon on March 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Like I have stated and hoped for before: PLEASE Ashley: RUN!

For the LOVE of God….. RUN.

I can see the ads already. One should be titled: “Hey, coal workers: where do YOU “winter”?

HA!

Opposite Day on March 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

She mentioned a conversation with her “bonus niece” — something that might seem foreign to voters in the South.

Not just in the South.

steebo77 on March 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Umm.. I’m a pessimist myself but this one is just such a trainwreck it is a blowout. I don’t think that the Rs will let up or get complacent however because they so want to nationalize this bimbo. If the Rs are smart (yeah oxymoron), Ashley Judd gets linked to some of the vunerable D Senators.

Illinidiva on March 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

steebo77 on March 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

True.

Regarding the upcoming election, I’d like to say she has no shot, but crazier things have happened.

22044 on March 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Who the heck winters in Scotland?

Waggoner on March 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

The Scots.

Qzsusy on March 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

PLEASE RUN.

alflauren on March 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever used “winter” as a verb.

forest on March 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I winter the same place I summer, fall and spring. It suits me fine.

reddevil on March 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

There are people that I’ve met in life that are great people; really wonderful, caring, optimistic people that would do anything to help you.

Some of these wonderful people believe that evil spirits possess them and they pay money to other people to exorcize them. Some of them believe in the healing powers of dolphins. Some of them believe that eating meat causes your body to absorb all the bad karma from its inhumane treatment which turns into cancer and other health issues.

These people, as wonderful as they are, should not be in office.

I believe Ashley is one of these people.

hisfrogness on March 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

One-percenters “winter”, Ashley. You wouldn’t happen to know any, would you?

Looks like she has had some bad plastic surgery. No wonder why Dario split.

Philly on March 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Good ole Rocky Top! Rocky Top, Tennessee-eee-eeeeeeeee!
Winter there, why doncha?

ExpressoBold on March 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Cue commenters saying that Ashley Judd is unattractive in 1 … 2 … 3 ….

(Note: My point is that such comments are not particularly useful or relevant.)

J.S.K. on March 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What is most unattractive is the smug condescension of a hypocritical dullard besotted with one’s own misperceived exemplary virtue and keen intellect. Ms. Judd is the veritable paradigm of this particular poseur. She is preparing to run with the political party blocking the Keystone pipeline, yet was married to a man whose professional association burns more gasoline in a weekend than the average American does in a year. She has for years been a hysterical and cartoonish advocate for feminism, yet has made her living in Hollywood trading on her looks. One might argue that her portrayed characters have usually been women overcoming adversity, but one might also spend years vainly searching for the plain-looking woman cast in that role in a Hollywood film. And how much intellect is required to know that is unwise to run as a “populist” and also publicly muse about where one “winters”. Moreover, her particular cultural relevance reached its’ sell-by date a few years ago (her inner dialog wherein she reconciled that reality with her strident feminism I’m sure would make an especially solipsistic and venomous essay- likely soon to appear in Salon).

Was any of that “useful”?

M240H on March 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Shut up and…what does she do again?

Rational Thought on March 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Who the heck winters in Scotland?

Waggoner on March 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yeah, that seems odd to me, too. I she and avid skier, or what?
Don’t most ridiculously wealthy “winter” south of where they live the rest of the year?

Count to 10 on March 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

So, how long, really, until Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho decides to run for office?

JimLennon on March 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Was any of that “useful”?

M240H on March 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Looks like a clean take-down to me.

Count to 10 on March 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Heh. If that bubblehead can win in Kentucky, then just go ahead and turn out the lights. Maybe if enough of us move to Costa Rica we can take it over.

Say, is it just me, or has she gained weight?

Adjoran on March 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Who the heck winters in Scotland?

Waggoner on March 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Who summers in Scotland.

RickB on March 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Who the heck winters in Scotland?

Waggoner on March 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

My thought’s exactly. I thought she was married to some Italian race car driver.

Hard to imagine an Italian male (particluarly away from Momma) wants to “Winter in Scotland”

I refuse to believe American people (let alone Kentuckians) are this stupid.

If it’s McConnell vs Judd, well I know who I’d vote for…

ccrosby on March 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

ccrosby on March 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Actually he’s Scottish with a (very) Italian name.

Doesn`t make her any less weird.

CityFish on March 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Cue commenters saying that Ashley Judd is unattractive in 1 … 2 … 3 ….

(Note: My point is that such comments are not particularly useful or relevant.)

J.S.K. on March 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I’m not really all that familiar with her, but I expect she must have been attractive at least at one time. She was offered money to expose herself in movies, after all.

Anyway has she made a direct reference to “the little people” yet? Is the last box I need to check on my Arrogant Celebrity Stereotype bingo card.

Gingotts on March 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Cue commenters saying that Ashley Judd is unattractive in 1 … 2 … 3 ….

(Note: My point is that such comments are not particularly useful or relevant.)

J.S.K

Congrats on getting the coveted Hot Air hall monitor position.

chimney sweep on March 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I don’t just like her, I love her, love her! (overheard from about 50% of Kentucky voters)

Fenris on March 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I refuse to believe American people (let alone Kentuckians) are this stupid.

ccrosby on March 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM

That’s what I thought, before some Americans farther north elected Al Franken to the Senate.

Bigfoot on March 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Who summers in Scotland?

Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth

tmitsss on March 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Bigfoot on March 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Kentucky’s a bit harder to steal than Ed’s place.

Lanceman on March 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Oldnuke on March 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Beautiful part of the country. The land between the lakes!

tom daschle concerned on March 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Who summers in Scotland?

Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth

tmitsss on March 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

We have a retard in our midst.

jaime on March 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Was any of that “useful”?

M240H on March 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I liked it.

Cindy Munford on March 2, 2013 at 1:58 AM

If she was running in a blue or even purple state, absolutely. The voters would be stupid enough to go for someone like her. But Kentucky? No freaking way. Obama lost that state by over 22 points. Even if by some miracle Judd manages to halve that deficit(which is a tall order in the 2014 midterms), she’d still get her ass handed to her by 11 points.

Doughboy on March 2, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I’m from Minnesota, so unfortunately I have very good reason (two examples in the last fifteen years or so, actually) to think a self-absorbed celebrity like Judd could actually win high office at the state-wide level.

And, yes, ballot fraud is a valid reason. Do votes for celebrity Democratic Senate candidates magically appear in Kentucky’s mining districts like they do in our Iron Range?

MidniteRambler on March 2, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Doughboy on March 2, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Fifteen years ago, I wouldn’t have minded handing Ms. Judd’s ass myself.

Now she has that weird puffy Chipmunk face going on.

MidniteRambler on March 2, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Fifteen years ago, I wouldn’t have minded handing Ms. Judd’s ass myself.

Now she has that weird puffy Chipmunk face going on.

MidniteRambler on March 2, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Excessive plastic surgery. Bets that she’ll look like Nancy Pelosi in ten years.

Illinidiva on March 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Who cares who wins. McConnell is feckless. The country is lost anyway.

fossten on March 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Genius:

Scotland in January:

Kentucky in January:

Malibu in January:

Duh.

NoPain on March 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Okay, color me surprised — I didn’t expect Scotland to be even marginally warmer than Kentucky in January.

Count to 10 on March 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Underestimate her – no but unless the Tea Party decides to challenge him and weaken him the odds are in his favor. But who knows – weak, feckless, and not conservative enough were justification to put in Angle and O’Donnell….

Bradky on March 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Fifteen years ago, I wouldn’t have minded handing Ms. Judd’s ass myself.

Now she has that weird puffy Chipmunk face going on.

MidniteRambler on March 2, 2013 at 6:17 AM

I’m sure given the opportunity 15 years ago she would have dropped her drawers on main street at the very sight of you…. /sarc

Bradky on March 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Bradky on March 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

She’d have probably done (and would still now) if he could help her career.

Illinidiva on March 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Princess Ticklefeather won in MA.
Ashley Judd is a shoo-in.

vityas on March 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Scotland is dark and rainy in the winter. It’s no picnic.

Blake on March 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

These people, as wonderful as they are, should not be in office.

I believe Ashley is one of these people.

hisfrogness on March 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I think you may be right about her.
Another useful idiot. Like the ones that thought Uncle Joe was a real nice guy & Potemkin villages were awesome examples of modern society.

Badger40 on March 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The comments are hilarious:

Apparently many people have seen through her BS.

Blake on March 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It’s the Redneck Riviera.

And I’d love to winter in Scotland (ancestral homeland), there are so many distilleries to visit, but I have been outvoted by my liver.

rbj on March 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM