Green Room

Subway founder: If I had tried to start Subway today, it would not exist

posted at 7:15 pm on February 27, 2013 by

I wonder what types of popular, convenient, and productive job-providing private businesses we’re undoubtedly now missing out on because of the poor regulatory and business climate of the Obama economy?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’ve kicked around the fantasy that I’d ditch horrible, soul-crushing office work to start my own restaurant franchising business(es). But I dare not in Obamaland. So my choices are to remain miserable in soul-crushing office work or not eat.

And I like to eat (hence the franchising dream).

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Before my culinary arts hopes blew up in my face I briefly talked with my then-girlfriend about starting one. Wouldn’t dare now, not even in a city where restaurants are a big thing – the !@#%#$ idiots raised the tax on said places to 10%!!! Go to a place where you tip the server 15% and I’ll let you figure how much more your meal costs now.

MelonCollie on February 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I’ve had a business idea for a few years now… but there’s no friggin way in this climate.

CantCureStupid on February 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

There’s apparently a whole three Sonic Drive-Ins in Seattle. And by Seattle, I mean Tacoma. There are apparently five Dick’s Drive-Ins in Seattle, clustered around northern downtown and the university district. And there’s about a 20-mile gap between the southernmost Dick’s and the northernmost Sonic. That means there are no Sonic’s near Microsoft or any Boeing plant. There is money to be made! Or could be. Maybe someday. THANKS OBAMA.

Seattle also lacks Raisin’ Canes, Noodles & Co. and Fazolis. Some day, some day…

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It’s not just businesses that never start. Lots of businesses have gone away over the last couple of decades, in part because of the increasingly bad climate. I shut down a business that was grossing about a million a year because it wasn’t worth the trouble (among other reasons). I wouldn’t even think about trying to start the same business up today. It wouldn’t be possible. The entire industry I was in has shrunk.

trigon on February 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

85% of all hiring is done by small business. I think Mr. DeLuca was diplomaticly making a stong statement about the difficulty of small businesses in the current climate.

No new franchises, no new hires. No new hires, no increased paying of payroll taxes, no increases in tax collections.

Very simple.

itsspideyman on February 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

You lack In-N-Out!

I will never move there.

MikeknaJ on February 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

There’s a reason there are no supermarkets in inner city Detroit. Same reason.

Crime. Corruption. Shakedowns Payoffs. Bureaucratic harassment… and that’s just the government.

Then there’s the Crime, Corruption, Shakedowns and Payoffs for the Mafia, unions and hoodlum locals… but I repeat myself.

viking01 on February 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Subway founder: If I had tried to start Subway today, it would not exist

And that is what so many already successful big businesses and their leadership support heavy regulation of their industries and higher taxes on small businesses. They can afford it and new small business competitors cannot. They use government to kill potential future competition.

That’s how things work in socialist Europe. How many new successful big companies have been created in Europe in the past 40 years? Not many. Almost all of the names that were there 40 years ago are still there and there are very few new ones.

Compare and contrast with the US. A huge number of new big companies have been created in 40 years. The advertising landscape is filled with company names that didn’t exist 40 years ago. And many big company names that were around 40 years ago are gone.

However, Comrade O’s socializing of America will be changing that.

farsighted on February 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Notice Subway man agrees minimum wage earners ‘deserve’ to earn more.
If they did, they ought to be going somewhere else to learn skills so that they can make more $$.
This crap about people ‘deserving’ more is a result of how spoiled people in our culture have become.
I’m sorry, but I’ve worked fast food & it isn’t hard. The only thing hard about it is being on your feet all day & running back & forth like a chicken with its head cut off.
But deserving of higher wages? For making sammiches? NO.

Go to fracking screwl people & learn something that makes you more valuable.
Speaking of starting businesses. Wanted to start a small portrait biz here wehre I live bcs the one that was here retired.
But I see getting a brick & mortar in town would require a crippling amount of insurance & I say frack it. Just going to find another way to work under the table.

Badger40 on February 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

farsighted on February 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM

YES! This!
Well said & so true.

Badger40 on February 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM

However, Comrade O’s socializing of America will be changing has changed that.

farsighted on February 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM

FIFY

GWB on February 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

IIRC, there’s a Dick’s in Edmonds, at 220th and 99. First new one in like 40 years. The others are all north of downtown – Wallingford, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Crown Hill, and Lake City (I always forget that one).

Jeff Weimer on February 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

MikeknaJ on February 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Dick’s is better.

That didn’t come out right.

A deluxe and fries with tartar sauce and a real handmade shake? Heaven.

Jeff Weimer on February 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I don’t have anything against Dick’s Drive-In, but I’m from Sonic Country, so that’s my preference. Plus, saying “Let’s get Dick’s for lunch” doesn’t sound right no matter who says it.

Jeddite on February 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Just going to find another way to work under the table.

Badger40 on February 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Out in the country where I live, nearly all transactions among individuals are strictly cash only. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out why.

dominigan on February 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I’m noticing that the liberal trolls are avoiding this thread. But then again, trolls are repelled by reality.

dominigan on February 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM