Green Room

“Hancock Inc.” or “Muggings”

posted at 10:34 am on February 27, 2013 by

HancockTitle

HI0014S

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Nice job. I love the artwork Sarjex.

msmveritas on February 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thanks much!

Sarjex on February 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

How did our ancient neanderthal forefathers defeat marauding packs of saber-tooth mammoths without roads and bridges?! :[

Jeddite on February 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Okay, I think I’ve finally figured out why I have trouble getting into this strip. I agree that the art is great. I have thought so for every strip so far. My problem is that the strip seems to be addressing issues that are old news or have been played out hundreds of times over. For instance, “Muggings” doesn’t present anything new. Government mugging the ordinary man has been done… again and again. It can be redone, but if so, something new needs to be added to make the idea original. I am missing what is original about “Muggings” aside from the artwork, which is true for pretty much all of the strips so far going back to the strips about Romney losing the election (though a reread of the Oscars dream strip made me appreciate it a bit more than my first read). You may be playing the long game and a payoff is coming related to the character being mugged. If a payoff happens, I will reevaluate, but this is where I am right now.

kclibby on February 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

kclibby on February 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yes, we are looking more towards the long game than the short game. There is an overall story we want to tell, and we’d like to use moments in that story to address the current state of things as well.

More importantly, we want to engage the culture more than we want to just crank out Ramirez-style riffs on issues of the day. We want to create some funny, quirky, hopefully interesting characters and an overall story arc that people, particularly younger and less engaged people, will follow so that we can sneak in the conservative messaging.

One of the problems is that the inciting incident for the main character happened in November and we weren’t able to get the strip out until a few months later. That made it feel a lot more redundant and “get over it already” than we wanted to begin with, and frankly we let the initial rant run on too long.

As Jett said, we’re still finding our sea legs, still figuring out the balance we want between pop culture, snark, current events, politics, and story. Just as you are learning about these characters, so are we. Keep in mind, we’re not posting daily here, so while it has been about a month and a half of real time, we’ve only got maybe 5 minutes worth of comics to read.

We’ve gotten lots of positive responses as well as criticisms, and we really appreciate the feedback, but like everything, it takes time, and it’s our free time so it’s much more limited than a paid gig would be. So hopefully you’ll be patient with us and enjoy the ride. (Or convince HotAir to pay our salaries so we can spend all day every day just working on the strip. ;-))

CrankyTRex on February 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Cool, and thanks. I keep coming back to read the strip because I am expecting things to pick up, so I am not one who believes it is hopeless. I’ve just been waiting for the hook. And Hot Gas ought to at least give you a lunch per diem.

kclibby on February 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Top Pick

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM
Top Pick

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”