Green Room

Yes, Seth, Too Soon

posted at 6:17 am on February 25, 2013 by

Seth MacFarlane, the host of this year’s Oscars, decided tonight would be a swell time to drop a Lincoln assassination joke. To the Hollywood crowd’s credit, they were disturbed by the joke, and gasped at it. MacFarlane responded by asking what, too soon? Yes. Call me naive, but I would like to live in an America where it’s never okay to joke about presidential assassinations, be they of Republicans or Democrats. I’ll let others pile on about one of MacFarlane’s creations, Ted, who showed up a bit later thinking anti-Semitism would be funny, too.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

classy

now if he talked about a bush assassination, there would have been howls of laughter and clapping…

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM

i guess you didn’t like my post….

glad I missed the show

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:36 AM

MacFarlane responded by asking what, too soon you don’t hate America as much as I do?

Fixed.

Odysseus on February 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Watched a combination of hockey and The Walking Dead to avoid this jerkoff and the other elitists. I knew he wouldn’t be funny.

gsherin on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Hates Christians, hates America. Libs give him a major platform.

Hey here’s an idea Seth. How about a show with a dumb father, whiny mother, idiot son, awkward daughter, precocious baby, and a talking animal.

You could call it… Every show you’ve ever made.

Greek Fire on February 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM

The one and only joke he expressed regret about doing on Family Guy was a Kennedy assassination joke. I guess that joke was too soon, in hindsight, for him.

Crispian on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Imagine the exploding heads if it had been a JFK joke.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM

From the same guy who brought us a ‘scoreboard joke’ regarding the Vietnam wall. He will not get any of my business.

hungrymongo on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM

If you’re going to tell a Lincoln assassination joke, the best way is how it was done on The Office back in I think 2006:

Michael Scott: There are certain topics that are off-limits to comedians: JFK, AIDS, the Holocaust. The Lincoln Assassination just recently became funny. I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head. And I hope to someday live in a world where a person could tell a hilarious AIDS joke. It’s one of my dreams.

Doughboy on February 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM

If you’re going to tell a Lincoln a$$a$$ination joke, the best way is how it was done on The Office back in I think 2006:

Michael Scott: There are certain topics that are off-limits to comedians: JFK, AIDS, the Holocaust. The Lincoln A$$a$$ination just recently became funny. I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head. And I hope to someday live in a world where a person could tell a hilarious AIDS joke. It’s one of my dreams.

Doughboy on February 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Lighten up, Francis. It was funny.

John the Libertarian on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

John the Libertarian on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I am not one who thinks its too soon, but the joke was jr. high level at best.

I think its funny that Boothe was an actor and actors don’t have a problem with that.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

John the Libertarian on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I am not one who thinks its too soon, but the joke was jr. high level at best.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Just as there is much gnashing of teeth, wringing of hands and roiling against McCarthy when it was actually the Hollywood community who perpetrated the blacklisting of their own.

Mitoch55 on February 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hasn’t anyone here ever heard that “other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?” joke. When did we Americans get such thin skins. I am not saying MacFarlane is always the classiest guy, and some of his stuff is offensive, yes. But I want to see very few things put into the category of “stuff you can never, ever under any circumstances tell a joke about.”

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

The joke was supposed to be bad. That was part of the shtick.

MechanicalBill on February 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

People need to stop getting outrageously outraged over every little thing.

And why is trying to laugh about a horrible situation a bad thing? If someone could make a funny holocaust joke (which probably doesn’t exist but this is a hypothetical) why would that be bad? Isn’t it the job of the comedian to make us laugh about good and bad aspects of life?

The real problem with Seth Macfarlane and this joke is simply that he isn’t funny.

Kronos on February 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I think its funny that Boothe was an actor

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The only reason the audience groaned.

Fallon on February 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM

BTW, on a related note, I am amused by how many people — both on the right and the left — are outrageously outraged by MacFarlane’s “we saw your boobs” song. The actresses at the Oscars were clearly horrified, but even those on the right — like the folks over at Twitchy — are talking about how horribly sexist and misogynistic it was.

Well, you know what, ladies? If you don’t like being objectified and having folks focus on the fact that you showed your boobs on camera — don’t show your boobs on camera. Have some class and insist on some tastefulness in the roles you do. Instead, Hollywood markets every single day on sex, and the actresses willingly participate, but then we’re supposed to pretend that the audience is out on some sexist limb when they happen to notice or comment on it.

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

He was absolutely awful as a host, the whole show was a big promo for the producers’ catalog of musicals, and they left Phyllis Diller out of the “in memoriam”. Savages, the lot of them.

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

If all actresses in Hollywood decided, to hell with it, I’m not showing off my body, they’d all be fired and new chickies would be hired in an instant. It’s not the ladies’ choices, it’s the fact that Hollywood producers, writers and directors won’t do a movie without sex, because (free-market!) sex sells.

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Actually, I was very amused to see the gay men’s chorus singing about boobs. One of the very, very few outright laughs of the night, for me.

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Funniest Oscars I’ve seen in a while. People need to lighten up and realize that the Oscar committee knew who Seth was when they hired him. His forte is shocking people, and he did. So?

lilacs on February 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Funniest Oscars I’ve seen in a while.

lilacs on February 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I usually can step into someone else’s shoes pretty easily, but d@mn, I have no idea how you thought that show was funny.

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I agree with you completely. Especially about the non-responses to the “other than that” joke.

Norbitz on February 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The joke was supposed to be bad. That was part of the shtick.

MechanicalBill on February 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Exactly. If you hire Seth you are going to get Seth. This is Hollywood, you aren’t going to get a more over-produced show than the Oscars. By the way, I actually liked the joke. Duane, it is not too soon. Tasteless, sure. But what else were you expecting from Seth. I can be as tasteless as the next person, but there’s a reason I don’t watch Family Guy, but will watch South Park.

rbj on February 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The actresses at the Oscars were clearly horrified…

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I do believe they were “acting.”

Fallon on February 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM

On the matter of tasteless hosts/jokes, I guess Ricky Gervais would be cheered by some, because at least the targets of his jokes were the actors & actresses.
I didn’t watch the Golden Globes awards shows that he hosted, but I would probably laugh at those jokes.

22044 on February 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Mitoch55 on February 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Here’s a joke….

“not one Presidential Killer has been GOP Seth, it took an actor democrat to kill the Republican who freed the slaves and a communist to kill the last Democrat who understood economics.”

*hahahahaha*

about as funny as your pap Seth

harlekwin15 on February 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Kronos on February 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

eh maybe…

I think the real problem is that the Academic/Lawyer/Entertainment triangle is making money hand over fist while sh*tting on ~48% of America…..

they are no longer worried about losing the market share of the GOP voter and are pretty flagrant in relying on money via law suit and patronage.

harlekwin15 on February 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM

rbj on February 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Word.

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM

These post-modern deconstructionist wits are going to wake up one day without freedom, look around and go “huh, what happened?” Children.

rrpjr on February 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I saved myself the trouble and didn’t watch.

Bob's Kid on February 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

The joke wasn’t funny. It was crude and physically nauseating. It was the kind of “humor” that MacFarlane is known for. Unfortunately he is what passes for talent in the entertainment business.

InterestedObserver on February 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Do yourselves a favor and look up past Oscar speeches and performances, especially those featuring actors from Hollywood’s Golden Age. It was, mostly, classy, and something you could sit and watch with the entire family. Hell, even in the early 90′s, it was something to look forward to. Not anymore. McFarlane isn’t the problem…he’s simply the embodiment of what Hollywood goes for these days.

changer1701 on February 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Say, did you hear the last thing Booth was told before the performance? “Break a leg!”

Seth Halpern on February 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I really don’t buy into the whole statute of limitations thing for comedy. If it’s somebody dying, I think first how awful that as for the person and how horrific it was at the time. I don’t like the joke commencement speakers tell, about Socrates being a great man who told people how to live — “He was poisoned.” I mean, I know it’s been about 2400 years, but it still sucks, y’know?

bmmg39 on February 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The joke was supposed to be bad. That was part of the shtick.

MechanicalBill on February 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Right. The joke is the “too soon” bit.

McFarlane is still a turd.

TexasDan on February 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Seth MacFarlane

I had to do a web search to identify this guy.

It’s awful being out of touch with pop culture. I’ve missed so much./

FOWG1 on February 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I’m staying out of this one, as I am an avid Opie & Anthony listener. There are times when I’ll think something was quite tasteless, but still laugh out of the shock value. It’s just one of those YMMV things.

However, I’m pretty sure everyone here (and most everyone on the more liberal web communities) would agree that there should be an age limit on calling someone a c**t. I never thought The Onion would go there

TMOverbeck on February 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

A bunch of rich liberals worshiping each other. I’m supposed to care what happens? The people probably most responsible for the destruction of our culture gathered in one room and…Surprise! something unseemly occurs? Shocka!

29Victor on February 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

alwaysfiredup on February 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Sorry, but I call BS. That’s shifting responsibility for one’s actions. If it’s that offensive to you to be objectified, then don’t go into a business that is built on objectifying people. Don’t voluntarily choose that career, and then lament what that career is built on.

Also, if women as a whole started raising their standards and refused to participate with that kind of lowbrow dreck, Hollywood would adjust itself in short order.

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I agree; the screenwriter & moviemaker usually has a certain actress in mind, and the actress can usually influence the making of the movie to not show gratuitous nudity (even get an agent/attorney involved when finalizing the contract).

22044 on February 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I guess political correctness is only a problem where it concerns blacks, women, gays, mexicans or arabs.

eh on February 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

His face and his political beliefs are the only laugh-worthy things about the man. He’s as tasteless as something from a hippy-dippy suburban liberal “health food” store.

MelonCollie on February 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

harlekwin15 on February 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Not bad. Have you ever considered a career in sitcom writing?

unclesmrgol on February 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Shump on February 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

In that category I’d put “calling a 9-year-old girl a rhymes-with-blunt”, amirite?

I wonder how many subscribers and followers the Onion ends up losing…

TMOverbeck on February 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM