Green Room

Video: The obligatory “Google glasses” clip

posted at 11:25 am on February 21, 2013 by

I’ve never much liked first-person POV video, so imagine my delight upon realizing that we’ll soon be seeing much, much, much more of it online in the near future.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Life is fun.

Anybody thinking about dropping $1500?

Capitalist Hog on February 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I think the technology is AWESOME! But with that said, it’s obvious these videos were shot by professionals making sure they kept things as stable as possible.

One thing I learned watching videos of people wearing helmet cams is that we turn our heads in quick directions a lot more than we think we do. You don’t see that in this ad.

But I’d LOVE to have some prescription Google glasses! How freaking awesome. Something we could only dream about when I was growing up is now a reality. It’s just amazing.

ButterflyDragon on February 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Anybody thinking about dropping $1500?

Capitalist Hog on February 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

That’ll get me a couple of Motorola X-Phones when they hit shelves. That might be a better investment.

Okay, I don’t have any choice, actually, since I wear glasses. ;_;

mintycrys on February 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I don’t support Google in any shape, manner, or form. I even use Google Block to keep it from tracking me.

Traitors!

avagreen on February 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Life is fun.

Life is more fun when it’s not moderated 24/7 by technology. Can’t wait to try and have a human moment with another person whose attention is constantly diverted by talking to their glasses.

sheesh. Time to unplug.

somewhatconcerned on February 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

GoPro kick’s Google’s glass

gatorboy on February 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

sheesh. Time to unplug.

somewhatconcerned on February 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Well, at least with the glasses it would seem they’re looking at you and paying attention. Whereas now, everywhere you look, people have their heads down playing with their phone.

ButterflyDragon on February 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Capitalist Hog on February 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Developers. This thing is not being sold to consumers. Not yet. Its a year away from launch most likely. These initial units are to get them into the hands of developers.

thphilli on February 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

What is up with thinking everyone in the world wants to see your literal point-of-view? I really don’t care 99.999% of the time.

Now, if I could use it to read HotAir posts as I walked down the street, that would be cool. Or, if I could put up a GPS map or readout on it while in a strange place. Take videos, meh.

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

mintycrys on February 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Project Glass is giving prosumers and developers a chance to sample the technology for 1500$.

I’ve never paid that much just to “try” something. But I’m tempted to put up the cash. Something about this toy really grabs me.

Capitalist Hog on February 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Wow, I’m guessing that Hollyweird has not yet recognized the impact that Google glasses will have on the independent movie movement.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

That we’ll get 10,000 serious versions of The Blair Witch Project? I can hear them quaking in their Manolos…….

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Can’t wait for all the ones of gangbangers snatching them off faces.

BL@KBIRD on February 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Give the technology several years. The price will drop drastically as competitors come out with their own versions. This stuff was always inevitable.

No more, “Students, roll up your sleeves and remove your hats before taking the test.” Now it’ll be, “Students, remove your glasses.”

Eventually there’ll be computerized, “wired” contact lenses.

Logus on February 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I’ve never been strong-armed. But I have been robbed at gunpoint.

I think stolen POV glasses that record and stream are not going to be hard to locate. Quit living in fear, chump.

Have some fun with this one.

Capitalist Hog on February 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Unless it can read power levels, its useless to me.

nobar on February 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Over 9000!!!!??!!!

But this looks sweet. I could have had some fun with this skiing last week. Its surely more elegant than a helmet cam. And given how Google prices its electronics I’m sure the retail version will be more affordable. I’d imagine $400 or so.

jhffmn on February 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Imagine the fun in knowing that every thing you do in public will be uploaded to the internet.

Imagine the skyrocket in teen suicide rates as every dumb (or immoral or illegal) thing they do is uploaded by a classmate for the amusement of friends and family.

Yah, can’t wait. I’m not crazy enough to think I can stop it either, but that doesn’t mean I gotta like it.

WitchDoctor on February 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM