Green Room

Re: No way we’ll be cheerleaders

posted at 3:50 pm on February 21, 2013 by

Erika, you may have been gracious enough for a “no comment,” but I think I’ll make a couple of observations.  First, I don’t have a problem with Axelrod and Gibbs making a living by providing political analysis for the media.  That’s something that plenty of people do on both sides of the aisle, after stints as presidential advisors.  (That’s still a question in Axelrod’s case, at least.)  Nor am I criticizing Barack Obama or the White House for succeeding in their strategy to turn the political media into cupcakes.  As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, why should they change strategy that clearly works in their favor, and which the White House press corps makes cost free?

In my column today, I’m not criticizing the Obama team for the success of this strategy.  This is the fault of media outlets that seem perfectly fine with offering nothing but softball questions (Steve Kroft at CBS) or hiring the president’s team to shape the messaging while claiming that media bias is a myth (NBC).  Of course they’re going to be cheerleaders for Obama after having twice helped him to win the presidency, in order to help their boss (former?) push through his agenda.  NBC is making itself available for that purpose, while Politico wonders why Obama is just so darned successful in managing the media.

Puh-leeze.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

They won’t be cheerleaders. They will be enforcers.

Mr. D on February 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

No way we’ll be cheerleaders

The pom-poms say otherwise.

Blake on February 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Blake on February 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Thank you so much for that mental image of Axelrod in a cheerleader’s skirt.

Fenris on February 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Let’s turn the question 180 degrees. More and more I’m thinking that modern journalists have that Woodward/Bernstein dream (not unlike the JFK Camelot thing that lets single white women pull the D lever). No offense to any professional journalists here but let’s face facts…the ego trip is what draws them to persue the profession and they are too lazy to go into politics (the honesty factor is a tie between the two).

So my theory is that Obama did not seek out the press. Rather they looked around to find somebody that would fit their pre-conceived mold of an ideal candidate. A little known guy from Illinois seemed to fit…little did they know that he had a deep seated anger that would cause him to ignore them (Dr Frankenstein probably knew all about it).

While the monster was being created, the parents of the so-called journalists diverted attention by serving up the shiny objects in the form of sit-coms and other distractions.

teejk on February 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Name ONE conservative host/anchor on any MSM network – ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, MSNBC.

bw222 on February 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

teejk on February 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

You are correct. While journalists have always been libs Watergate inspired an era of crusaders who were totally partisan and willing to censor the news and ignore events like Fast and Furious which could have significantly increased readership/viewership.

bw222 on February 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

bw222 on February 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Tut tut, If you’re going to include NBC then you need to include Univision.

Fenris on February 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

bw222 on February 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I think you will be able to strike CNN pretty soon (cry me a river). I listen to Rush but don’t watch much TV so can honestly say that I’ve never seen FoxNews. From what I hear though both of those have to go, then Goebbels will be happy. And that comment was not made in jest…history repeats…

teejk on February 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

The media is the democrat party… It is not that the media just loves the democrat party and acts as their cheerleaders… It is the democrat party exists because of the media and that is vastly more powerful than an act of cheer leading… So in other word in order for us to defeat the democrat party we have to first defeat the media, it is that simple…

mnjg on February 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

teejk on February 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

That dream is nothing without a disgruntled FBI bureaucrat, angry about being passed over for the FBI directorship. They say Mark Felt was a patriot but I know he was an arrogant, self-absorbed government official on a power trip. He just didn’t have the balls to go full commie turncoat.

ExpressoBold on February 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Me either.

/George Stephanopolous

Blacksheep on February 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

…good piece…very polite!…I would be writing descriptions like @%&#&%F…and every other word that has to be moderated…gawd… I hate the MSM!

KOOLAID2 on February 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Top Pick

“It would be catastrophic if the President were to fire the special counsel.”

“The blockade breached institutional values of freedom of expression and assembly.”

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”