Green Room

Illinois legislature focused like a laser on critical issues

posted at 12:59 pm on February 21, 2013 by

Two of their last three governors retired to prison.  One Congressional district has seen its last two Representatives convicted for corruption.  Federal anti-corruption investigators have taken up residence in its largest city and so far don’t seem to have any worries about job security.  So what are Illinois state legislators focused on these days?  The scourge of …. anonymous Internet commenters:

A recently introduced bill in the Illinois state Senate would require anonymous website comment posters to reveal their identities if they want to keep their comments online.

The bill, called the Internet Posting Removal Act, is sponsored by Illinois state Sen. Ira Silverstein. It states that a “web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless the anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate.”

The bill, which does not ask for or clarify requirements from entities requesting the comment removal, would take effect 90 days after becoming law.

Pseudonymous and anonymous comments have long been a critical part of U.S. public discourse, though, and the bill may be on shaky legal ground.

Hey, so are Illinois politicians!

Just remember — every single one of the anonymous commenters who add in their two cents on this post are sticking a thumb in the eye of Illinois politicians.  By all rights, this should be our most popular post evah.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yeah, Illinois legislature, try and enforce this stupidity. I don’t live in your suck-@ss state.

Bitter Clinger on February 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

if you live in California(thankfully I don’t) at least you know what the Democrats that run the state into the ground will be focusing on next

gsherin on February 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Time to do to the Illinois legislature what the original Athanasius did to Arius: pronounce anathema.

Athanasius on February 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I don’t use fake names. My name really is Dr. Frank Enstine and I don’t think it is my duty to prove who I am. It is your duty to prove who I am not.

Dr. Frank Enstine on February 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Pound sand Illinois

cmsinaz on February 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM

So – What if you’re posting “anonymously” and:

YOU’RE THE HEAD OF THE EPA?!!!

williamg on February 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I will have to ask the EPA for some pointers on staying anonymous.

WashJeff on February 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

More idiocy from the political class. How these people can think they are smart or even have the temerity to think they can adequately govern is beyond me. Narcissistic sociopaths, the lot of them, from the Fed to the local levels.

totherightofthem on February 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

We need pension reform in IL, but I am not sure I want pension reform now given the political make-up of the IL legislature.

WashJeff on February 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I think HotAir should open up registration again, just in honor of this bill!

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

These same people will support the group “Anonymous” and the “Occupation Freaks” but require your average Joe to shut up or face a wave of liberal attacks on your life. Once your real name is out there, liberals tend to come after you. Can anyone say SEIU? Ever hear of being “Swatted”? But first, they want to take your guns away. Hmmm, so how do you protect yourself when the laws are written that permit these freaks to “protest” you. It’s not hard to understand why Chicago is the United States’ official sh**hole, even though Detroit and a few others are determined to reclaim that title.

SansJeux on February 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Gee, politicians who don’t like anonymous criticism of their actions. Whodathunkit.

rbj on February 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Publius would be so proud of this legislation

HarryStar on February 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Great! If this passes I not only have to be on the lookout for cyberspace stalkers but real life stalkers too! Real smart! Oh well, looks like Obama’s current inability to kill the internet will be achieved by these “pro bullying” laws.

Hobbes on February 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

This First Amendment stuff is hard.

Hayabusa on February 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I fart in the Illinois legislature’s general direction.

JimLennon on February 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

We are all Richard Windsor now.

JEM on February 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

and the bill may be on shaky legal ground.

When has that ever stopped the People’s Republic of Illinois??

I just hope they keep screwing around with this stuff long after June 10 when constitutional carry automatically goes in effect by court order if the legislature doesn’t act. I unfortunately live just across the river from IL, have friends and family in the state I like to visit and for many places East I have to go through the state or go many hours out of my way. The loading/unloading of sidearms just across the state line is annoying and potentially dangerous. The more the legislation is messing around goring other sacred cows, the more likely it becomes that visiting IL will be just like visiting the other states I frequent.

deepdiver on February 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

A comment for Illinois state Sen. Ira Silverstein:

Bite me.

MichaelGabriel on February 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I hate this state…
Really, the priorities of the state govt are so out of whack right now. This, gay marriage, etc. and who cares that local school districts can’t get funding and that the state squandered the recent 65% tax increase.

I just want to move.

Hendo on February 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The best move I ever made was when I moved the family out of Illinois.

This makes me laugh because Danno IS my name, the one TEA Party members know me by best.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I may have missed it, but what exactly is the justification or reason for such a bill ?
Really, what prompted it ?

It is odd that an anonymous request can be made to remove an anonymous post.

Jabberwock on February 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I guess Illinois don’t want any servers hosted in the state.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Free speech, as long as you don’t try to use it…

Tom C on February 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Well, if nothing else, it should end the business of Illinois website hosting.
The major damage will be ending unapproved major media comments. Chicago Tribune, Big 3 Networks, ect.

jhnone on February 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Sure, great idea. As if I don’t have enough problems with my next door neighbors now. Let’s give them a peak into every aspect of my life. This will even invite crap from far away people whom I’ve never met. Good plan. Or not.

manyears on February 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Mark Twain Samuel Clemens hardest hit

blammm on February 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Will this affect Allahpundit?

blammm on February 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Gee, it seems that scumbag extortionist, the joke-rev. Jesse Jacka**, Sr., has got a legislator to try to identify, or restrain, his online detractors responding to his lies and libels published on the Sun-Times webite. Suck it, llinois.

M240H on February 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Oops, missed an “l”. Suck it, Illinois.

M240H on February 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Lewis Carroll, I mean, Charles Dodgeson might have had some comments about this…

Ace ODale on February 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

An anonymous Internet comment for Illinois state Sen. Ira Silverstein:

You’re a low level government employee, sponging off taxpayers money, with nothing significant to contribute to society.

STFU

MichaelGabriel on February 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Jeeze, they want my address, too?? The Illinois legislature must be on drugs.

Except for various accounts at places like Amazon, there’s nothing on the ‘Net in my own name. No Facebook, no Twitter, nothing. And it’s going to stay that way.

SukieTawdry on February 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

OK, the bill will require website administrators to remove posts by anonymous submittors…but the requestors can remain anonymous???? Well, if I were the website administrator, I would comply to the removal of the anonymous post, followed by a full description of the person requesting the removal, including their full name, address, IP address, AND reason they requested the removal in the first place!!

To quote Hayabusa: “This First Amendment stuff is HARD!”

Snitchmo on February 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Ace ODale on February 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

George Eliot, too. And George Sand. And maybe even Richard Bachman.

SukieTawdry on February 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Good GRIEF.

OK, so requiring ID for voting is said to suppress the right to vote by discriminating against folks who have no ID.

But requiring the average non-technical consumer to validate their IP address will not suppress first amendment rights to comment on-line?

Half the people posting on the Internet don’t know the difference between their internal IP and their world IP, mediated by NAT through their router.

Will such people be prosecuted for knowingly claiming against the facts that a particular IP address was actually assigned to them at the time of posting?

The criminalizing of ignorant people (and this is normal, reasonable ignorance — in fact, it’s why we have freaking DNS instead of everyone having to be exhaustively IP-literate) over such trivia is insane.

Who is electing these idiots?

rasqual on February 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM

This comment was posted by Dr. Drew Werd.

drewwerd on February 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM

… administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless the anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate.”

This could be a lot of fun:

We should make sure that EACH AND EVERY “anonymous source” cited in a news story, as well as EACH AND EVERY reporter for the MSM is properly identified, and that his/her home address are properly displayed on each news item.

Of course this could shut down every news site on the web…but the fun might be worth it!!!

…and we could power thousands of windmills with the breeze from the MSM reporters’ howling!!!

PS:

Did Illinois state Sen. Ira Silverstein post his home address yet??

landlines on February 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Ace ODale on February 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Maybe Bob Dylan, I mean, Robert Zimmerman could even write a song about it.

Bigfoot on February 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM