Green Room

West side is the best side: Happiest states revealed

posted at 2:00 pm on February 19, 2013 by

Being from the West, I dub this map true. No offense to our east side friends (and for those of you up in Maine, explain please). From the Atlantic:

Red = happy

Blue = sad
Photobucket

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’d be happy to live in Hawaii too.

NorthernCross on February 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Colorado and Washington would be a whole lot redder (hur hur) were it not for all the Californians!!!1!1!11!

Jeddite on February 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

The weather east of the Rockies is horrific. Honestly, I don’t know how people can stand it. Unbearable summers, unbearable winters.

But other than that, this study is crap. From the Atlantic:

The researchers coded each tweet for its happiness content, based on the appearance and frequency of words determined by Mechanical Turk workers to be happy (rainbow, love, beauty, hope, wonderful, wine)

So, this is a referendum on language usage or–at best–emotional expression, not happiness.

Nessuno on February 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Sh*t, my a** is so g*ddamn f*cking happy here in New Mexico I could puke.

Seth Halpern on February 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

New York happier than the South?

Ha!! Fat chance. What a pantload this is.

Bitter Clinger on February 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is material for snarking. No more than that.

22044 on February 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Bullsquirt.

Judged by words in tweets?

Dumbest thing I’ve read since the last dumb thing.

tru2tx on February 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I don’t think its a coincidence that most of the “sad” states voted for Romney and most of the “happy” states voted for Obama. They’re sad cause they lost.

vegconservative on February 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So evidently whorin’ and gamblin’ are fun.

Who knew?

Typhoon on February 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Texans are quite happy.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Typical Atlantic BS.

itsspideyman on February 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Mechanical Turk? In survey terms, Mechanical Turk is as much trusted as the crazy aunt in the cellar.

itsspideyman on February 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Grey=Meh

lucyvanpelt on February 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

(rainbow, love, beauty, hope, wonderful, wine)

Nessuno on February 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

All but one of those words makes me sad or mad.

peski on February 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Jeddite on February 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

As one who has lived in Washington state most of my life I can certainly attest to that. Too many Californians, and my favorite cousins are from Orange County, but they’re still there.

HiJack on February 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Wait, so they deemed the place happier if people tweeted about f*ing rainbows mnore often?!? If they added unicorns in, they could have made DC the happiest place on earth!

(I understand Nevada – hookers are legal there!)

GWB on February 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Louisiana is dark blue? Seriously? My experience is that they know how to have a good time down there.

Plus, how could any state with drive-thru windows on the liquor stores and bars be an unhappy place?

trigon on February 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

They got this information from Twitter! Says everything.

terryannonline on February 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I’m fairly happy, but it has very little to do with living in California. I just choose to be happy.

Bob's Kid on February 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

(rainbow, love, beauty, hope, wonderful, wine)

Was unicorn flatulence in that list somewhere?

krome on February 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yeah. Map looks right. The states colored blue have higher poverty rates, higher obesity rates, higher divorce rates and lower literacy rates (for citizens). Those are not “happy” rates.

ZachV on February 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

New York happier than the South?

Ha!! Fat chance. What a pantload this is.

Bitter Clinger on February 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Why is that hard to believe?

The south has to live under Obama! :P

blatantblue on February 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

You’d think Washington would be on the blue side with the dreary weather. Must be all the weed and gay couples.

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That is the most scientific study of happines, EVER. I totally believe it.

Meryl Yourish on February 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM

It’s the weed, definitely.

Philly on February 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Ms. Pavlich dubs this map “true”? I dub it “moronic linkbait”.

Splashman on February 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

What the hell, Montana? Why so blue?

jix on February 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Maryland is only the third saddest state? And yet we have Governor Martin O’Malley. Makes me very sad.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Oregon least happy of the Pacific states?

…then… why do so many Hawai’ians (including my beloved wife) move here?

We are maintaining our normal, steady gaze toward the Pacific as we await a sensible answer. In writing, please.

Scribbler on February 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

So the unhappy places are places that are very conservative, or whose job markets have been decimated by this administration’s policies. Makes perfect sense to me.

tommytom02 on February 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I’m in NC and I can attest to it being sad here (but that’s me just griping about the lack of there being any hope for todays youth).

nobar on February 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

That South is so, so sad. But so many of those from the happy Utopias are coming here in droves.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Thank you for promoting the arrogant and unscientific prejudice against southerners, Katie.

Remind me to never read you again.

itsspideyman on February 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

rainbow, love, beauty, hope, wonderful, wine

Aren’t those the signs those Rainbow People carry when they decimate the Pennsylvania forest every year? Well they may be happy but the locals aren’t.

Oh wait…they forgot the word “peace”…oh and “imagine”…and..

Deanna on February 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Map is false.

The happiest state is Texas, because we are certain of our superiority to all the other states…and the rest of the world. We have the most guns & ammo, world’s best bbq, strongest economy, more freedom, Tex-Mex food, Dr Pepper, etc etc etc. And don’t forget that we invented the frozen margarita. So, yeah, we’re happy. And we’ll be even happier the more businesses and jobs we lure away from all those fake happy states.

Of course, we also have the most bravado. God bless Texas!

TXJenny on February 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

TXJenny on February 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Don’t forget how much better lookin’ we are as well.

applebutter on February 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Map is false.

Of course, we also have the most bravado. God bless Texas!

\\

Not sure about this. The best BBQ I ever had was in Nebraska, and this was despite the fact that the restaurant waitress gave me and the wife bad service.

NorthernCross on February 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Don’t forget how much better lookin’ we are as well.applebutter on February 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM

True.

My husband says Dallas women are the most beautiful in the world. ;)

TXJenny on February 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Judged by words in tweets?

Dumbest thing I’ve read since the last dumb thing.

tru2tx on February 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

So scientific.

Badger40 on February 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I guess the Atlanic writer has never been to Mardi Gras or had a shrimp poboy in Gulfport-Biloxi.

I’m not sure I could be happy being from the same states Howard Dean and Patrick Leahy represented. WTF?

Blue sky out west explains a lot.

Califexico? Seriously?

NoPain on February 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

NoPain on February 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Amen NoPain.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, where we get both the sunrise and the sunset on the beach. My brother and sister and I with my mom lived two blocks off the beach, and when the weather was good (10 months of the year), we would get our bathing suits on when mom came home and spent the afternoon on the beach.

Mom and her family would get a sack of oysters (not a dozen, but a sack, 50 pounds) for around 20 bucks, mom would shuck them (faster than my uncles), and we would have them in gumbo or fry them (never liked them raw). During the 60′s and 70′s growing up on the coast mom never made more than 10,000/yr but we were happy.

Until I read this. Damn, I never knew that was depression.

TXJenny, Texas women are beautiful; lots of beautiful women in the South, mom being one of them.

itsspideyman on February 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM