Green Room

Carnival Triumph passengers need second rescue

posted at 9:11 am on February 15, 2013 by

The voyage otherwise known as the Cruise From Hell finally ended last night when the Carnival Triumph limped into Mobile, Alabama and began the hours-long process of disembarking its passengers.  However, for some of the passengers, it wasn’t the last time they ended up stranded:

Thousands of passengers erupted into cheers Thursday night as the crippled triumph finally pulled up to the dock. As they stepped onto dry land, and into the arms of their loved ones some couldn’t contain their excitement.

Carnival then chartered a caravan of buses to transport folks out of Mobile, Ala. To add insult to injury, at least one of those buses became stranded on the way to New Orleans, reports CBS News correspondent Anna Werner.

Seriously? Just when it seems that the PR for Carnival Cruise Lines couldn’t possibly get worse, they hire a faulty bus for their suffering passengers.  I have been on a Carnival cruise and had a wonderful time, and this is really a freak occurrence, but someone should have made sure that the buses were first class before they pulled up to the dock.  Come on, man!

Is this a good time to remind readers of the Hugh Crew Cruise in July featuring Duane Patterson and myself, leaving on July 27th on the Holland America ship MS Zuiderdam?  Er … perhaps not.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Bon voyage Ed

We’re taking an Alaskan cruise in Sept

cmsinaz on February 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

ah, yes, I forgot that charter flights and hotel rooms are restricted and not available right in Mobile. /s

good grief… that said, the media seek out the tattle tales and air their grievances; meanwhile the other 98% of the passengers had ‘make the best out of a poor situation’ attitudes and would rather get on with their lives than glory in 15 minutes seconds of fame.

Oh, and the vast majority of the whiners are first time cruisers… that should tell you something too

gatorboy on February 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I have been on a Carnival cruise and had a wonderful time, and this is really a freak occurrence, but someone should have made sure that the buses were first class before they pulled up to the dock. Come on, man!

Because first class buses never break down?

Bitter Clinger on February 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

And the cruise line is offering compensation of… a free cruise! Thanks, but no, I think I’ll take my lawsuit as compensation, instead.

gatorboy on February 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Why does that matter? Unless this sort of thing happens a lot, and the others are used to it? :O Sorry, but if I pay someone a lot of money for them to provide me a good time, and I’m stuck crapping over the side of the boat and eating raw hot dogs, I have a right to complain – and loudly!

some couldn’t contain their excitement

Given some of the stories I heard, I misread that last word the first time through……

GWB on February 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

one of those buses became stranded on the way to New Orleans

Ray Nagin Transportation Services?

eyesky on February 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Because first class buses never break down?

Bitter Clinger on February 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Individual on February 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

When you charter 1,500 buses at once, the odds of one of them breaking down en route goes up significantly.

AngusMc on February 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Enuf of that “pay a lot of money” stuff … you can book a 4-day Carnival run out of Miami to MX (Triumph/Texas is off the sched) at $239/pp (cheapest), or $279/pp for an outside balcony, bar tab not included.

I’d strongly suspect most of these folks paid less.

/whiners

CaveatEmpty on February 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Because first class buses never break down?

Bitter Clinger on February 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

An heir and a spare:

unclesmrgol on February 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Who would board a ship named Triumph?

Fallon on February 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

gatorboy on February 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM

To be fair, the vast majority of people on any cruise ship are first time cruisers. I think fewer than 10% of people that take one cruise ever take a second. Not sure why though….I fell in love with cruising about 5 minutes out of port on my first cruise. The best part is that because my husband and I don’t drink cruises are a ridiculously cheap way to vacation.

GWB on February 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I don’t understand why you would sue. The ship lost power and, unfortunately, on a ship, a lot of things (such as the gyro stabilizers, toilets, lights below deck, air conditioning, etc) run on electricity. It’s a sucky experience for sure, but, not one that rises to the level of lawsuit.

Shouldn’t lawsuits be reserved for gross negligence and neglect rather than unfortunate incidents?

JadeNYU on February 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM
Top Pick

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM