Green Room

Video: How to win at “Jeopardy” and look good doing it

posted at 8:27 am on February 14, 2013 by

This guy knows how. Learn from him.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

OK, that was awesome. Nice find!

SoRight on February 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

That was great! It put a smile on my face. Thanks for that.

posted at 8:27 am on February 14, 2013 by Allahpundit

What is AP doing up this early?!? :-)

ITguy on February 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Nice.

WisRich on February 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I saw this episode. Kid got so lucky it’s not even funny.

He risked his entire $18,000 total on the last Daily Double, and the question asked what kind of body the guys in ’12 Angry Men’ were part of.

KingGold on February 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I have to confess, I’m not a regular Jeopardy watcher and therefore didn’t realize that the tourney was based on a 2-day total. Given that Nilai had 19,000 from Day One, had he gotten the answer correct he’d have had 19,000 plus 21,400 = 40,400 total. Leonard, having bet nothing, would have still had $40,000 and NOT won $75,000. So we’d have been seeing this video for an entirely different reason.

Could be that he was just super confident Nilai would get it wrong, but Occam’s Razor says he either forgot that it was a 2-day total or he’s bad at math.

SoRight on February 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

What SoRight said. If Nilai had gotten the question right, Leonard would not have won the tournament and his claim that he just won $75K would have looked really bad.

J.S.K. on February 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Looks like he took his cues from Sean Connery, Burt Reynolds and Mama Harper.

Myron Falwell on February 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

All three of these boys are very intelligent. And each is a winner.

But Leonard added panache and cool to the victory.

Well Done!

new2wnc on February 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I don’t get why Leonard got credit for “collar bone.” When he said “neck bone” first, shouldn’t that have been a wrong answer?

bobs1196 on February 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

J.S.K. on February 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

What is “but he didn’t” for $75,000…? :)

C’mon. It was funny. I think it was Bear Bryant who said, “It’s better to be lucky than good.”

Fallon on February 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

With the collarbone question, he apparently had X number of seconds to give the right answer. That’s why Trebek asked the clock watchers if the kid got the right answer in under the time limit. Apparently he did.

As to the final answer? Best answer I’ve ever seen on Jeopardy. Totally hilarious and he knew how to make the right type of bet, which is also part of the strategy of this game.

Used to watch it all of the time and this clip was a lot of fun.

GeeWhiz on February 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

That was great!

ButterflyDragon on February 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

bobs1196 on February 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
——————————————————-
He is black, thats also why his boorish behavior is not only excused but glamorized.

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Thanks for posting that, it was the best thing I’ve seen in the last few days! WAY TO GO KIDDO! Hahahahaha.

scalleywag on February 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I missed the /sarc tag. Please tell me you meant to include a /sarc tag.

Longing4Lincoln on February 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

GeeWhiz, you do not simply have to give a correct answer within the time limit, your first answer must be correct — that has been the rule for many years, at least until this “collar bone.” You cannot “think out loud,” spouting answers until the correct one is said.

When I’ve seen this happen in the past, Alex Trebek always tells the contestant that the show has to go with their first response (and Leonard’s first response was clearly “neck bone”), which means he loses money. If the contestant gives a second, and correct, answer before Alex Trebek has the opportunity to say the first one was wrong, the other two contestants cannot ring it, and play proceeds.

I’m not quite sure what there is to “learn from him.” He was not guaranteed a win at the time he wrote his cheeky/cocky response, so he just as easily could have lost the tournament.

diditagain on February 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

diditagain on February 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yes, but if he had lost we probably wouldn’t have seen his answer:

At the end of many American television game shows, you may see an odd disclaimer, something to the effect of “portions of this program not effecting the outcome may have been edited.”

Fallon on February 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

This was great. But boy, we’ve got some real party poopers replying.

Oh, what am I saying? Of course we do; it’s HotGas!

SagebrushPuppet on February 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Please. When Ken Jennings played against the supercomputer Watson he wrote in his Final Jeopardy (when he lost) “I welcome our new computer overlords.” That was a lot more humorous.

Mitoch55 on February 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

What’s your excuse?

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

SoRight on February 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You presume a kid who just won a relative-boatload of money at Jeopardy to lack basic math skills. Hmmm. Something else is afoot.

People who watch Jeopardy and/or those of us who LOVE competition get it. Great clip despite being old-news.

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

What’s your excuse?

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM
—————————————————-
Cant refute the argument, so attack the messenger. Classic Alinsky, you have your lessons well.

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Mitoch55 on February 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Yes, but he stole that line from the Simpsons.

Nick_Angel on February 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I asked a very simple question, which you seem unwilling to or incapable of answering.

Thanks for being so obvious. At least you speak up for bigots. I commend you in this regard. The rest of the cowards in these threads are unwilling to confront people like you.

Hypocrisy abounds. The dude abides.

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hypocrisy abounds. The dude abides.
—————————————————————-
If a leftist such as you brands me a bigot for my views, I wear it as a badge of honor, tyvm

Machismo on February 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

SoRight on February 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Since he presumably knows what an ass he’d look like if he wrote “I just won 75k” and then didn’t, I still maintain that he mistakenly thought Nilai had no path to victory when he wrote it. In that assumption Leonard was wrong.

As to the “love competition”, I can understand if he was trash-talking an opponent at a point when it could get inside that opponent’s head. Then it would actually be WORTH potentially looking like an ass since the asshattery might improve the odds of winning. But he wrote this invisibly and in a context where he would not have been able to hide/change it if Nilai had won. And he did it knowing that Nilai would not see it till after Nilai’s answer was also sealed.

I’m still thinking that Leonard was either thinking of it as a one-day total or that he messed up the math.

And if you think winning 75k on Jeopardy means you’re incapable of making math errors, then I’d remind you about the LITERAL rocket scientists whose Mars probe crashed into the red planet because they forgot to convert from English to Metric.

Even smart people make mistakes, sometimes really dumb mistakes.

SoRight on February 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I can’t find anything in a quick google search about ‘first answer’.

I agree he made a mistake. And would have been funny if Nidial had bet it all.

As to the daily double, there comes a time to go big or go home. That’s what he did there.

The_Livewire on February 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Shining example of one of America’s finest journalists, on Jeopardy.

listens2glenn on February 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM