Green Room

Video: Welcome home, Sgt. Dumar

posted at 5:45 pm on February 13, 2013 by

I know who Kid Rock is, but I wouldn’t know his music if it popped up on my radio. I have no idea what kind of musician he is. In this CNN video, though, we get a chance to see what kind of person he is — and what kind of person Dan Wallrath is. Wallrath founded Operation Finally Home and teamed up with Kid Rock to provide a brand new, furnished home to wounded warrior Sgt. Davin Dumar and his wife Dana:

Army Sgt. Davin Dumar was seriously injured in an attack in Afghanistan last summer that left him with a wounded arm and no left leg.

Through it all, he had the love of a former high school acquaintance — whom he would eventually marry — to see him through his darkest hours.

Now, the Michigan couple can look forward to brighter days thanks to a surprise donation over the weekend: a custom-built home to be completed by early next year. And if that wasn’t enough, the Dumars were given the good news Saturday from musician Kid Rock. …

On hand were members of home builder PulteGroup and Texas-based Operation Finally Home, a nonprofit that provides mortgage-free homes to disabled veterans and widows of deceased service members.

Operation Finally Home founder Dan Wallrath had previously met Rock, who convinced organizers to come to Michigan for the first time. Another soldier who knew Dumar recommended him for the program.

I dare you to watch this without tearing up at least a little bit.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Kid Rock played for soldiers in theater no matter where or how many. He is good folks.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Must be some dust in the air.

TKindred on February 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I dare you to watch this without tearing up at least a little bit.

Must be some dust in the air.

TKindred on February 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, a little dusty here, too.

ConservativeinCO on February 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Kid Rock is a very good man.

Thank you for your service Sgt. Dumar. Enjoy your new home.

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Kid Rock truly is one of us who just happened to be blessed with talent. One of the most down-to-earth people you’d ever want to meet.

A good friend of mine lives in Michigan and were at the lake pitching horseshoes in their backyard. Kid Rock (who no one at the house knew) happened to show up and ask if he could pitch horseshoes with them.

As he was leaving later that day, he gave my friend’s mother (the host of the get-together) a pinky ring he was wearing as a token of his appreciation.

ButterflyDragon on February 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

…dare you to watch this without tearing up at least a little bit.

Somthing in my eye…

Beautiful story!

Kid Rock ROCKS!!!

God Bless you Sgt Dumar!!

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Wow. What a neat story, thank you for posting.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Kid Rock is a class act.

Ask the folks in Clarkston, Michigan about him. He has put more money back into his community over the years than most can even imagine. Not charity, but good investments in local businesses. And people are getting hired. Unlike across the rest of socialist Michigan.

And his fondness for the troops is legendary.

Coulda been a career drug dealer…was well on his way in his younger days.

He grew out of it fast.

Never looked back. Just keeps looking forward. Helps others do likewise.

After Ted Nugent moved to Texas, Kid Rock is the only local Wolverine in the area worth a damn.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Kid Rock really is the man. I’ve sat on my hotair.com account for years. Rarely comment. I got my account when registration was open a bit back because I visit this site a few times a day, I like the views of the articles, I figured I’d want to speak up here and there. Today is a good case in point: Kid Rock. He smokes weed while he mows his lawn, he told a bunch of braindead celebs not to waste their time watching Fahrenheit 9/11. He supported Bush openly. His songs are full of curse words, but the themes are straight up white boy country rap rock dosed with (I kid you not) patriotism and conservative values.

I also want to mention that I lived in Atlanta a few years ago and the news ran a story about him and his road crew brawling in a Waffle House late one night as his tour passed through town. That is awesome. Dude is the real deal: a cool dude, level-headed, rockin’ it out. The Republican Party needs all the help it can get, and I don’t think Kid Rock can bridge that gap, but in general the right has to make a lot of room for the Kid Rock side of the party. Without libertarians, the future of the Republican Party looks pretty wrinkly.

Also, Allahpundit is the man.

transverseprocess on February 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM

…Kid Rock lives nearby…he’s a Red Wing fan…he is involved in his kids school…in a number of local charities…he’s a car nut…he supported Romney…he’s the guy next door…but with money!
…don’t ask me to explain the Pamela Anderson thing!….wait!…yep!…he’s the guy next door…but with money!

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Great story, Ed. I’ve never liked Kid Rock’s music, but in recent years he has really demonstrated that he is an American who appreciates the people who give him the freedom to make his music.

Well done, Kid Rock! You are a great American, along with Sgt. Davin Dumar.

God Bless!

simkeith on February 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM

He did a USO Show with a ton of other big stars for CENTCOM in As Sayliyah, Qatar before moving on to Kuwait and Iraq. Britney Morgan RIP, Alyssa Milano, Paul Rodriquez, Wayne Newton, Gary (the man) Sinise and a bunch more great people. But Kid Rock played every instrument his bandmembers had during his set. He’s pretty talented.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

God bless Kid Rock, Pulte and Finally Home. Also, bless the thousands of volunteers who help our Vets come back to make a life after their service ends.

God Bless them and God bless the USA.

BigAlSouth on February 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Ed, thanks for posting. This goes on everyday in our country. All across the country with not much fanfare. The people who build these homes do so mostly in anonymity. The reward is knowing that one of our fine service personnel can finally come home. Down here my way we have similar activities. One was my friend Doc Worley. Through Joe I was able to find out about this marvelous women. There are still many great citizens amongst us, everyday quietly going about the business of making things better for our finest. May more seek to do so with each passing day. Bless them.

Bmore on February 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM