Video: Welcome home, Sgt. Dumar
posted at 5:45 pm on February 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey
I know who Kid Rock is, but I wouldn’t know his music if it popped up on my radio. I have no idea what kind of musician he is. In this CNN video, though, we get a chance to see what kind of person he is — and what kind of person Dan Wallrath is. Wallrath founded Operation Finally Home and teamed up with Kid Rock to provide a brand new, furnished home to wounded warrior Sgt. Davin Dumar and his wife Dana:
Army Sgt. Davin Dumar was seriously injured in an attack in Afghanistan last summer that left him with a wounded arm and no left leg.
Through it all, he had the love of a former high school acquaintance — whom he would eventually marry — to see him through his darkest hours.
Now, the Michigan couple can look forward to brighter days thanks to a surprise donation over the weekend: a custom-built home to be completed by early next year. And if that wasn’t enough, the Dumars were given the good news Saturday from musician Kid Rock. …
On hand were members of home builder PulteGroup and Texas-based Operation Finally Home, a nonprofit that provides mortgage-free homes to disabled veterans and widows of deceased service members.
Operation Finally Home founder Dan Wallrath had previously met Rock, who convinced organizers to come to Michigan for the first time. Another soldier who knew Dumar recommended him for the program.
I dare you to watch this without tearing up at least a little bit.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation