Green Room

Rubio’s SOTU response: “I still live in the same working-class neighborhood…”

posted at 6:15 pm on February 12, 2013 by

Senator Marco Rubio’s office has just released a few excerpts from his upcoming SOTU response.  Rubio plans to reframe the Republican Party’s connection to middle- and working-class Americans by reminding the President of Rubio’s roots, and his community even now.  Both Democrats and Republicans love America, Rubio says, but Democrats can’t deliver the kind of economic growth needed by the working and middle classes in order to add jobs and create opportunities for themselves and their children.

“This opportunity – to make it to the middle class or beyond no matter where you start out in life – it isn’t bestowed on us from Washington.  It comes from a vibrant free economy where people can risk their own money to open a business. And when they succeed, they hire more people, who in turn invest or spend the money they make, helping others start a business and create jobs.  Presidents in both parties – from John F. Kennedy to Ronald Reagan – have known that our free enterprise economy is the source of our middle class prosperity.  But President Obama?  He believes it’s the cause of our problems.”

“Mr. President, I still live in the same working class neighborhood I grew up in. My neighbors aren’t millionaires. They’re retirees who depend on Social Security and Medicare. They’re workers who have to get up early tomorrow morning and go to work to pay the bills. They’re immigrants, who came here because they were stuck in poverty in countries where the government dominated the economy.  The tax increases and the deficit spending you propose will hurt middle class families. It will cost them their raises. It will cost them their benefits. It may even cost some of them their jobs.  And it will hurt seniors because it does nothing to save Medicare and Social Security.  So Mr. President, I don’t oppose your plans because I want to protect the rich. I oppose your plans because I want to protect my neighbors.”

“Economic growth is the best way to help the middle class.  Unfortunately, our economy actually shrank during the last three months of 2012.  But if we can get the economy to grow at just 4 percent a year, it would create millions of middle class jobs. And it could reduce our deficits by almost $4 trillion dollars over the next decade.  Tax increases can’t do this. Raising taxes won’t create private sector jobs. And there’s no realistic tax increase that could lower our deficits by almost $4 trillion. That’s why I hope the President will abandon his obsession with raising taxes and instead work with us to achieve real growth in our economy.”

“The real cause of our debt is that our government has been spending 1 trillion dollars more than it takes in every year. That’s why we need a balanced budget amendment.  The biggest obstacles to balancing the budget are programs where spending is already locked in. One of these programs, Medicare, is especially important to me. It provided my father the care he needed to battle cancer and ultimately die with dignity. And it pays for the care my mother receives now.  I would never support any changes to Medicare that would hurt seniors like my mother. But anyone who is in favor of leaving Medicare exactly the way it is right now, is in favor of bankrupting it.”

Rubio finishes (at least in the excerpts) by warning that Obama may end up being known as the President who ushered in the era of American decline:

“Despite our differences, I know that both Republicans and Democrats love America. I pray we can come together to solve our problems, because the choices before us could not be more important.  If we can get our economy healthy again, our children will be the most prosperous Americans ever.  And if we do not, we will forever be known as the generation responsible for America’s decline.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

RINO RINO RINO RINO! I may have have voted for Mitt but I wont vote for Rubio! I promise! No really!

Flapjackmaka on February 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Ich verstehe nicht. En Espanol, bitte?

sauldalinsky on February 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Jeb’s people did a heck of a job on that speech.

portlandon on February 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

¿Existe un linko con el habla del Uno?

sauldalinsky on February 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Hispandering…RINO style!

trs on February 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

looks like Rand Paul also push the amnesty bandwagon tonight.

We are the party that embraces hard work and ingenuity, therefore we must be the party that embraces the immigrant who wants to come to America for a better future. We must be the party who sees immigrants as assets, not liabilities. We must be the party that says, “If you want to work, if you want to become an American, we welcome you.”

sauldalinsky on February 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM

*It looks like Rand Paul will also push the amnesty bandwagon tonight. Previous post was a link from NRO with excerpts of Rand Paul’s SOTU response tonight. It’s amazing how quickly the conservative media and the Republican party have done a 180 turn from 2010 on amnesty. Well, the GOP at least. The conservative media is just a press office for Republicans. Other than a few exceptions like Michelle Malkin and (to a smaller extent) AllahP they’ve all ditched their 2010 views on immigration and just repeated what they are emailed with no critical thought or filter, except “Good idea!”

sauldalinsky on February 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

UGH why do we always have to preface things by giving the Dems props. Can we just fricking to a full frontal attack please. They don’t mince words or say “I know the Republicans are good, but they are racist, homophobic, sexist etc.” They just go straight for the kill.

Noooo, we have to be sunny and nice when millions are out of work and we have a President willing to raise the minimum wage which will result in even greater unemployment. Get some fricking cajones Repubs.

melle1228 on February 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM

The speech was good but the delivery proved Rubio is not ready for prime time…poor Jeb.

trs on February 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Top Pick

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM