Green Room

Art world’s newest superstar: George W. Bush?

posted at 4:24 pm on February 8, 2013 by

Bush-hater Jerry Saltz casts a disapproving eye on the hacked photos of Dubya’s paintings and … can’t help loving what he sees. Me too. His portrait of Barney is also darned good.

Between this and that white-paper reminder a few days ago that Obama’s a complete fraud when it comes to his Bush-bashing on counterterrorism circa 2007, 43’s having quite a week, huh?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

History will eventually vindicate President George W Bush…

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The comments there are as you would expect.

John the Libertarian on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The comments there are as you would expect.

John the Libertarian on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Indeed. And they have the gall to say the dislike toward Obama is unprecedented. Please…

I have to say, though, that I found the analysis of his paintings a little overwrought. Not every painting has some hidden meaning. The one of Barney is by far the best…my Scottie looks just like him.

changer1701 on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Obama has so much time on his hands as it is so obvious from the last four plus years…

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The bather paintings are more interesting than a lot of the technically accomplished art sold at galleries on Canyon Road here in Santa Fe. But I could probably say that about a lot of amateur art.

Seth Halpern on February 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Eisenhower was also an accomplished amateur painter.

But of course, that can’t be true; GOP’ers are uncultured rubes who only enjoy art if it’s a NASCAR Race, a bag of pork rinds or a cold beer.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If he painted that….he’s pretty darn good!!! What a great portrait of his beloved Barney.

jatfla on February 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I love that look on his face in the mirror.

Brat on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I can’t say I’m horribly impressed with the quality of artwork, but the cluelessness on display by the Obots in the comments boggles the mind.

Count to 10 on February 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

the painting of Barney good the rest……mmmmm…..kind of odd.

Bushes…..please focus on Art. And see if you can get the other Bush……Marco interested.

PappyD61 on February 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Those are good. He is a sensitive guy. Sensitive guys are a disaster in leadership. I’m sure Boehner’s art will be in The Louvre.

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Be it positive or negative, his paintings are going to be over analyzed with a lot of personal projection thrust onto them because of who he is and what people want to think he is.

To the haters the bath scenes will remind them of Lady Macbeth, to supporters they will represent humility and his birth into a new life of post presidential privacy and irrelevance. Whatever their meaning, the paintings seem to be painted well enough that either side can project their meaning onto them which is what happens with most good art.

Not my style personally.

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I’m sure Boehner’s art will be in The Louvre.

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I LoL’d

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

You know else was a pretty good but not great painter? Yep, you know it’s coming…H…

I’m not even going to look at the comments over there.

Dirt McGirt on February 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

It’s called retirement. I wish some of our other lifetime politicians would look into it. Bush’s ability to find meaning in a secluded private life reflects well on his inner character – as opposed to Clinton, whose narcissism keeps him in pursuit of adulation and the limelight.

Ted Torgerson on February 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Well, Hitler could paint too! /libtards

Honestly though, who cares. I am sure Christie makes artsy sculptures out of his mashed potatoes. Still makes him an abysmal leader.

Norwegian on February 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Well, Hitler could paint too! /libtards

Norwegian on February 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

“He could paint a living room in one afternoon! Two coats!”
–Franz Liebkind

SagebrushPuppet on February 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Is Mr. Saltz an art critic or a psychologist? I am happy any time W is presented as something other than the personification of all that is evil but this guy reads a lot into the images. He can’t just say he likes them, he seems to see them as an apology. Oh well, just goes to show you that I’m not artsy.

Cindy Munford on February 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Hitlers blumen machen mich traurig. 🙁

Seth Halpern on February 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Clicked on that Barney link expecting to see a painting of a purple dinosaur. What a relief.

Pervygrin on February 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The Saltz critique is nothing more than spiteful projection.

Those are very good paintings.

onlineanalyst on February 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

For leftists in the comments, nothing is more important that making sure that the HATE never dies.

BKennedy on February 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM

The Barney painting is really good.

SoulGlo on February 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”