Green Room

Art world’s newest superstar: George W. Bush?

posted at 4:24 pm on February 8, 2013 by

Bush-hater Jerry Saltz casts a disapproving eye on the hacked photos of Dubya’s paintings and … can’t help loving what he sees. Me too. His portrait of Barney is also darned good.

Between this and that white-paper reminder a few days ago that Obama’s a complete fraud when it comes to his Bush-bashing on counterterrorism circa 2007, 43′s having quite a week, huh?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

History will eventually vindicate President George W Bush…

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The comments there are as you would expect.

John the Libertarian on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The comments there are as you would expect.

John the Libertarian on February 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Indeed. And they have the gall to say the dislike toward Obama is unprecedented. Please…

I have to say, though, that I found the analysis of his paintings a little overwrought. Not every painting has some hidden meaning. The one of Barney is by far the best…my Scottie looks just like him.

changer1701 on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Obama has so much time on his hands as it is so obvious from the last four plus years…

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The bather paintings are more interesting than a lot of the technically accomplished art sold at galleries on Canyon Road here in Santa Fe. But I could probably say that about a lot of amateur art.

Seth Halpern on February 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Eisenhower was also an accomplished amateur painter.

But of course, that can’t be true; GOP’ers are uncultured rubes who only enjoy art if it’s a NASCAR Race, a bag of pork rinds or a cold beer.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If he painted that….he’s pretty darn good!!! What a great portrait of his beloved Barney.

jatfla on February 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I love that look on his face in the mirror.

Brat on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I can’t say I’m horribly impressed with the quality of artwork, but the cluelessness on display by the Obots in the comments boggles the mind.

Count to 10 on February 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

the painting of Barney good the rest……mmmmm…..kind of odd.

Bushes…..please focus on Art. And see if you can get the other Bush……Marco interested.

PappyD61 on February 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Those are good. He is a sensitive guy. Sensitive guys are a disaster in leadership. I’m sure Boehner’s art will be in The Louvre.

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Be it positive or negative, his paintings are going to be over analyzed with a lot of personal projection thrust onto them because of who he is and what people want to think he is.

To the haters the bath scenes will remind them of Lady Macbeth, to supporters they will represent humility and his birth into a new life of post presidential privacy and irrelevance. Whatever their meaning, the paintings seem to be painted well enough that either side can project their meaning onto them which is what happens with most good art.

Not my style personally.

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I’m sure Boehner’s art will be in The Louvre.

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I LoL’d

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

You know else was a pretty good but not great painter? Yep, you know it’s coming…H…

I’m not even going to look at the comments over there.

Dirt McGirt on February 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I’m getting the sense that Dubya has way too much time on his hands.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

It’s called retirement. I wish some of our other lifetime politicians would look into it. Bush’s ability to find meaning in a secluded private life reflects well on his inner character – as opposed to Clinton, whose narcissism keeps him in pursuit of adulation and the limelight.

Ted Torgerson on February 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Well, Hitler could paint too! /libtards

Honestly though, who cares. I am sure Christie makes artsy sculptures out of his mashed potatoes. Still makes him an abysmal leader.

Norwegian on February 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Well, Hitler could paint too! /libtards

Norwegian on February 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

“He could paint a living room in one afternoon! Two coats!”
–Franz Liebkind

SagebrushPuppet on February 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Is Mr. Saltz an art critic or a psychologist? I am happy any time W is presented as something other than the personification of all that is evil but this guy reads a lot into the images. He can’t just say he likes them, he seems to see them as an apology. Oh well, just goes to show you that I’m not artsy.

Cindy Munford on February 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Hitlers blumen machen mich traurig. :(

Seth Halpern on February 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Clicked on that Barney link expecting to see a painting of a purple dinosaur. What a relief.

Pervygrin on February 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The Saltz critique is nothing more than spiteful projection.

Those are very good paintings.

onlineanalyst on February 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

For leftists in the comments, nothing is more important that making sure that the HATE never dies.

BKennedy on February 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM

The Barney painting is really good.

SoulGlo on February 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM