Green Room

“The Republican Savior”

posted at 8:08 am on February 7, 2013 by

I remember writing last week that Rubio’s already done himself a world of good politically by playing quarterback for immigration reform, even if he ends up voting no on the Senate bill. He’s proved that he’s willing to legalize illegals, which should help with Latino voters who are otherwise wary of Republicans, and he’s proved that he’s willing to take a leadership role in trying to make it happen. As far as boosting his own national profile goes, the heavy lifting is done irrespective of how he votes.

Here’s the new cover of Time magazine. QED.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There is no Republican savior. There will be no Republican savior. And as far as immigration goes, ENFORCE THE LAWS WE HAVE.

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Eh let’s not crown him yet.

All candidates that are being talked about need to prove themselves.

gophergirl on February 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Eh let’s not crown him yet.

All candidates that are being talked about Republican party leaders need to prove [expletive deleted] themselves.

gophergirl on February 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM

When the SRM praises a Republican, red flags go up and my skepticism meter shoots to code red status. I’m sure that idea never entered the minds of Time. Because that’d render the anointed “Republican Saviour” impotent, right?

Democrats play to win. Republicans play to not lose. Well, they’re winning. Again.

conservative pilgrim on February 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Comment above—In reference to how a majority of the base, specifically those Tea Party types, will view this declaration.

conservative pilgrim on February 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

What’s he ever done?

Galtian on February 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Lay low Marco, they want to do anything to discredit and make you an unacceptable alternative when Queen Hilarity runs for the Dems.

gsherin on February 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Rubio’s response:

There is only one savior, and it is not me. #Jesus

Steve Eggleston on February 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Rubio’s response:
There is only one savior, and it is not me. #Jesus
Steve Eggleston on February 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Perfect answer. The media may just turn on him now. #stillskeptical

conservative pilgrim on February 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Rubio’s response:

There is only one savior, and it is not me. #Jesus Obama

Steve Eggleston on February 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

FIFY

Doughboy on February 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

This is like saying “I will only gain 5 votes at the expense of losing 25 votes”. Were are the gains?

jjnco73 on February 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Yes, because a first term senators have worked out so well as president previously.

/scott walker ftw

roy_batty on February 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hope Rubio’s smart enough to know this isn’t a fluke and that he’s being wooed by the Left wing media in the shallowest of ways. This is how they roll. Think just a bit like them as a Conservative and they’ll court you with flowers and a box of chocolates. Defy them, and you’ll end up with your pet rabbit in the stock pot.

Yup, they’re enticing him with their flowing gold–positive publicity, every politician’s dream–raising his public profile.

Hope Rubio knows none of this is free and they’re gonna come with the muscle to collect soon enough.

RepubChica on February 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Steve Eggleston on February 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Maybe Rubio is sharper than I initially give him credit for. Hope he doesn’t have a pet rabbit.

RepubChica on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

In a general election, maybe.

He’s hurt himself in the primaries though, and you have to win those first.

Jon0815 on February 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

In a general election, maybe.

He’s hurt himself in the primaries though, and you have to win those first.

Jon0815 on February 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Oh, Rubio wold pretty much breeze through the primaries that the GOPe and its flunkies envisage. He wouldn’t even be able to get past Andrew Friggin Cuomo in the general. Look around you. Rubio doesn’t really have the support and enthusiasm of the base.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

This is all prefab Next In Line crap, and was as predictable as the sun rising in the east every morning.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Too bad the Cubans in south Florida have turned against him. They know a traitor when they see one. They sent Rubio to the cesspool to fix problems not to become part of the problem.

“Rube” io and Jebbie could do nothing to stop the bleeding of usually loyal conservative Cuban votes from Etch-a-sketch in the 2012 election.

Facts are pesky little things. The the real story is the Cubans in south Florida told Jeb Bush and his balding, chubby lapdog to pound sand. But the gopE and it’s mouthpieces choose to rewrite history and spin instead.

Oh well, actions have consequences.

Jayrae on February 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

If they want to legalize illegals then they vote Democrat. If they want a job, they vote Republican. It’s not that they want to legalize illegals, that’s a side issue like voting whether you believe abortion should be legal or not. No, why they’re voting for Democrats is because they’re the party of “free” stuff.

Maybe we need to get a real narrative going on just how much government assistance the illegals actually use – I believe it’d be an eye opener and used correctly might just put that ‘hard-working migrant’ narrative to bed.

Ukiah on February 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quit your weak projection. Rubio knows where he comes from, and the grassroots in Florida still back him.

KingGold on February 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

él está dispuesto a legalizar ilegales

Press 1 for English

Bmore on February 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

He’s hurt himself in the primaries though, and you have to win those first.
Jon0815 on February 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Rubio will have a harder time winning the primaries than Romneycare? Whatever.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I never trusted the Cuban version of Obama, especially if you examine his political pedigree. Aspen Institute. Johnny Byrd. Jeb Bush. Now we have this notoriously controlled publication pushing him upon us as the savior??????

Pitchforker on February 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

He’s hurt himself in the primaries though, and you have to win those first.
Jon0815 on February 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Rubio will have a harder time winning the primaries than Romneycare? Whatever.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

If Marco Rubio wins the primaries, that is not a cause for celebration. If he loses, or even goes on to lose in the general, I will not be weeping and gnashing my teeth. Rubio’s been infected by that toxic cesspool of D.C. culture just like they all have been. Just like they all are. Just like they all will be.

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM

ddrintn on February

And a Sarah Palin-worshiping shut-in like you would know what others are enthusiastic about? When you “look around you,” you see life sized Palin dolls propped up in your basement office.

Rubio makes people feel good and hopeful. He has plenty of support, generates a lot of enthusiasm. Many are waiting and seeing what happens with the immigration issue. But we like Marco!

Ddrintn, deal with it… Palin is not going to run, which is just as well because she stunk last time.

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

KingGold on February 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Not for long! Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Spanish

jjnco73 on February 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I never trusted the Cuban version of Obama,
Pitchforker on February 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I will take the Cuban Obama! Obama won two elections. We need someone who will do the same.

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hold on there, Butch. She didn’t run last time. At all. Your constant speechifying concerning her as if she ran and failed somehow is a serious disconnect with reality.

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The GOP and the media are already setting Rubio up for an epic failure presidential run.

Who’da thunk it?

CorporatePiggy on February 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

KingGold on February 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Get out more often and see just how popular Rubio is with the conservative base. Sorry, but people are going to be even less inclined follow the latest GOPe pinup in 2016 than they were in 2012. Oh yeah, you thought Mitt was going to make it too, didn’t you? All one of you.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I mean the last time she ran. And she did fail. Okay?

Some of you want to badmouth any Republican not named Palin, and it is getting old.

I like Walker, Paul, Ryan, and also Rubio, but I am watching this immigration issue.

People like you never like anyone. Except for Palin. And I guess Ted Cruz is still okay for you guys to like? I know that Allen West is no longer your poster boy.

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

* inclined TO follow

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yeah, all one of you have been running him down constantly. Turning on him like you guys backstabbed Allen West..

KingGold on February 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

By the way, I’ve never said much at all about Allen West. It was your faction that wanted to boot the guy out, and he was indeed booted out. Redistricting.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hold on there, Butch. She didn’t run last time

No she didn’t. She crunched the numbers. And I doubt it two years she’ll have lost her math skills.
I tell you what, if she isn’t at the very first Republican primary debate this time she can cancel the Hamlet act. Hell, she better arrive 3 hours earlier than everybody else.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Forget a Republican savior, it’s the country that needs a savior, and there are no candidates for that.

Waggoner on February 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I mean the last time she ran. And she did fail. Okay?

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

If she failed, then Paul Ryan took failure to whole new levels.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don’t see where the people who sat home last November suddenly flock to the polls for Rubio, and he can’t out-pander the Democrats, so where does his winning margin come from? This is not 2004. Too late to put the pieces back together.

Seth Halpern on February 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I mean the last time she ran. And she did fail. Okay?

What? Did I miss something? When did Palin ever run for elected office and fail? Really, have I been living under a rock for the past six years?

Again, a disconnect with reality. I am badmouthing the Republican Party writ-large. For me it’s not personal. But I’ve always put principles above personalities, something that Ye Grand Ole Party is grossly lacking in at this juncture. That’s not going to change because Marco Rubio wins an election.

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

“People like me,” eh? Could you possibly be any more of a condescending prick? Since you didn’t get the memo, I’ll repeat myself:

The savior of conservatism, if there is one to be found, will not come from the Republican Party. And yes, I include Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin in that statement. I am at the point where I would like to see the entire party wither on the vine completely irrespective of my feelings toward any individual candidate or would-be candidate.

Clear enough for you, Gilly?

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

No she didn’t. She crunched the numbers.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Why didn’t Perry crunch the numbers?

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Honestly, Marcus. Do you really doubt that if Sarah Palin had entered the primary last go-round she would’ve beaten Mitt Romney?

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oh, my bad. Palin’s only electoral “failure” was allowing herself to be hitched to that also-ran Juan McLame. I’ll give you that, but her biggest mistake in that debacle was allowing herself to be associated with that campaign in any way shape or form. I cringe to think of how much worse McLame’s loss would have been without a stellar running mate to pull him across the finish line in defeat.

gryphon202 on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This… I have made my serious doubts about Rubio’s intellectual curiosity and experience well known on this board and his obvious ambition is eye-rolling. But I also want to win elections. Obama won two elections and got to advance liberal goals like raising taxes and passing Obamacare. If Rubio can win an election by getting 40% of the Latino vote and we get to pass Medicare reform, tax reform, and school choice, then I’ll totally drink the Rubio Kool aid.

However, I do hope that the smoke-filled room guys are working on the obvious issues with Rubio as a candidate. He does need lots of grooming over the next four years to appear like a viable President, especially since he’s done absolutely nothing in the Senate over the last two years. This is why I think the Republicans suddenly have such a strong enthusiasm for immigration reform all of a sudden.

Illinidiva on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

bluegill on February 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM

This… I have made my serious doubts about Rubio’s intellectual curiosity…

Illinidiva on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

“Intellectual curiosity”. Illinidive, explain to me in 2 or 3 sentences what that phrase means. I hear it all the time.

Rubio’s the GOP Obama except in one all-important sense: Rubio doesn’t have the base of the GOP.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oh Emm Gee.
Well at least I know what I’m dealing with. An 8 year old Justin Beiber fanatic.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I see the gilled one is heIIbent on turning this into another one of her Palin bashing threads. There is a more appropriate thread for that gilled one. Here. And for the love of all things sacred,do something about your stench.

Bmore on February 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Oh Emm Gee.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

No, that’s you and Reagan Rick with his Reagan Red Necktie and 45-state landslide, baby. I asked a question: if Palin had entered the primary, do you think Romney would’ve walked all over her?

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

And Perry DID crunch the numbers. He withdrew. She just did it before running.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

And Perry DID crunch the numbers. He withdrew. She just did it before running.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

So you’re saying that Mitt Romney would’ve beaten Palin for the nomination if she had run in 2012.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

And Perry DID crunch the numbers. He withdrew. She just did it before running.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, easy to crunch those numbers after an obvious implosion though.

ddrintn on February 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

KingGold on February 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Obviously you DON’T reside in the Sunshine state. We DO!

Take your spin somewhere else.

The balding, chubby, Jeb Bush lapdog who sold his soul for access to Bab’s rolodex will be lucky if he wins re-election.

The grassroots are organized.

He will be running this time in a presidential election year and the Democrats will be out and motivated to vote against him. They weren’t in the midterms.

Yeah, you told us Etch-a-sketch would win too.

Jayrae on February 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM