Green Room

Chris Christie to Clinton doc: Shaddup

posted at 12:31 pm on February 7, 2013 by

“My 12-year-old son came to me,” Chris Christie told the media yesterday, “and asked, ‘Dad, are you going to die?’” The New Jersey Governor told that anecdote as context for his response back to former White House physician Dr. Connie Mariano. In his classically blunt style, Christie marveled a medical “genius” who could diagnose a patient from 2400 miles away without having ever met him, reviewed his medical records, or learned anything about his family history. “She should shut up,” Christie offered in the way of return advice:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie responded angrily on Wednesday to a former White House physician’s comment that he could die in office if he does not lose weight, calling the doctor a “hack” for offering advice without examining him.

Connie Mariano, a doctor in the White House medical unit from 1992 to 2001, said in an interview on CNN that Christie, a blunt-spoken Republican who is seen as a strong contender if he decides to run for president in 2016, risks a heart attack or a stroke if he does not slim down.

“It’s almost like a time bomb waiting to happen unless he addresses those issues before running for office,” Mariano said.

Asked about the comments on Wednesday, Christie, who has spoken openly about his struggle to lose weight, said Mariano was out of line.

“I find it fascinating that a doctor in Arizona who has never met me, never examined me, never reviewed my medical history or records, knows nothing about my family history, could make a diagnosis from 2,400 miles away. She must be a genius,” Christie said, adding: “My children saw that.”

He called Mariano “just another hack who wants five minutes on TV.”

Recall, too, just how healthy Clinton was at the end of that eight-year medical relationship. I’d guess that Mariano is used to hearing “shut up” when offering unrequested advice.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Oh.. Poor whiny baby learned that he wasn’t going to get a free ride from the press in 2016. Since Christie is so sensitive about this, he shouldn’t run for President in three years. The weight thing as well as other things are going to come up and they’re going to be hurtful to his kids. If hewants to protect his ffamily, he should leave politics.

Also, want to bet someone is jealous about Rubio.

Illinidiva on February 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

…oh yeah?…the more I get to know him…the lighter he gets!
…and my name is KOOLAID!

KOOLAID2 on February 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Christie should follow his own admonishment and “shut up.”

steebo77 on February 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Good for him. I’ll check our quarrel at the door. I’m not a fan, but that’s how it’s done.

cbenoistd on February 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Also, want to bet someone is jealous about Rubio.

Illinidiva on February 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

If I bet against it, I’d probably lose. :-)

Doomberg on February 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

America to Chris Christie: Don’t talk with your mouth full … now get back to work … obama hasn’t climaxed yet.

Pork-Chop on February 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I can never understand how someone like Christie is receiving so much hate after Romney got the same treatment and ended up being the GOP nominee. Don’t people realize the more he’s attacked the more the establishment will put him up in 2016?

Aizen on February 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Wait. She gave Clinton his physicals? Ew.

SagebrushPuppet on February 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

cbenoistd on February 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Yep. This doctor is like the ones in the gossip rags talking about whether some starlet had a boob job.

Tacky.

kim roy on February 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

And I said, no son, I’m not dying just my presidential ambitions, just my ambitions…

Aizen on February 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Because so many of us held our noses and threw up in our mouths as we voted for Romney (and McCain, and W. and Dole and H.W.) and we will NOT do it again. I wasn’t going to vote for Romney, but I became convinced that he had a very real chance of winning so at the last, I did. Never again. And there are millions of us out here. THAT is why we react so strongly to Christie (who I think makes Romney look down right Reagan-esque in comparison).

deepdiver on February 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

In some defense to the ex WH Doc, it wasn’t like she put out a press release or anything…she was asked for her opinion in an interview and she gave it. That doesn’t make her a ‘hack’ looking for her 5 minutes as Christie alleges.

And simply put, Christie can claim he’s in perfect health, but anyone else want to point to a 350 lb+ executive in the public or private sector working 12 hour days for months on end without a break? It doesn’t take a medical genius to realize that a human heart can only take so much stress.

Hostile Gospel on February 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Hostile Gospel on February 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM

No responsible physician — none — would make a statement about a specific individual’s medical condition, including his chances of dying, unless that individual was a patient that the physician had personally examined. It’s irresponsible.

The proper approach for this doctor to have taken would have been to say something along the lines of, “In general, we know that being overweight increases one’s risk of heart disease, stroke, and many other diseases. However, many other factors also affect those diseases, ranging from family history to diet and lifestyle choices. Without examining Governor Christie or his medical records, I am not able to comment specifically on his health situation, except to say that I would encourage anyone who is overweight to begin a responsible, healthy program of weight loss.”

Shump on February 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Pork-Chop on February 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Yeah… um, where did I put my brain bleach? I regret reading that.

lucyvanpelt on February 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Shump on February 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Yes. Or the short answer: Not my patient, haven’t examined, irresponsible to comment. ;)

kim roy on February 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Dude, if you keep munching on Michelle’s a**, all you’d be able to say is: ud up. Hehehe

tommy71 on February 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Not a Christie fan, but he just uncovered one of the major problems with Obamacare.

These government-related doctors are quick to treat everyone exactly the same, not as an individual. That is dangerous, but it seems to pervade government medical thinking. I come to this conclusion as both a doctor and a patient with chronic illness.

Risk management has just become a convenient box that the medical profession can use to classify anyone. It makes it easier for the lazy doctor. I have yet to succumb to that thought pattern, and will retire the day I stop treating each patient I see as an individual.

As a patient, I have several chronic conditions that put me at very high risk to be dead already, but I am in perfect health at 61. I don’t mitigate my risk factors as proactively as I should but my individual makeup keeps me healthy.

My point is that Obamacare will be administered by lazy doctors who only look at public health documents, not at patients. And this is NOT the way medicine should be practiced. Doctors will have no incentive nor ability to look at their patients as individuals. Groupthink in medicine is the enemy of sick patients. We will see medical costs go up, and longevity start to decline.

NOMOBO on February 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM