Green Room

Taco Bell pulls Super Bowl commercial because it offends vegetarians or something

posted at 1:57 pm on January 30, 2013 by

Via News Junkie, if you don’t think it’s true that people will secretly hate you for bringing crudités to a Super Bowl party, go ahead and try it this weekend. See if you’re invited back next year.

Exit question via Forbes: How did the food nannies get wind of this ad if it hadn’t aired anywhere yet? Well played, Taco Bell. Very well played.

Update: A Taco Bell spokesman e-mails to say that this isn’t their Super Bowl ad, it was an ad that ran during the BCS Championship. Their Super Bowl spot is different and is still scheduled to run on Sunday.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wasn’t there some kind of comedy bit about this? If there was, I can’t remember who said it.

It was said that vegetarians try to design & cook their meals to look like meat, but meat eaters never do the opposite – like you’ll never hear someone say, “I’ll have a steak, but please make it look like a huge stem of broccoli.”

22044 on January 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Irony or coincidence, I could only find it in Spanish:

“I’m a level 5 vegan, I don’t eat anything that casts a shadow.”

Fallon on January 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hey, veggies — my food poops on your food.

The Rogue Tomato on January 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

You meaties certainly are defensive.

bmmg39 on January 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I can’t help but giggle. My mom used to call poop “bm’s”, short for bowel movement. Sorry, was that too aggressive or defensive?

Wait. “Meaties?” 😛

Fallon on January 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Not to mention your first comment attacked someone who joked on the fact that your veggies you love so much are fertilized with the feces from the meat we love so much.

Spliff Menendez on January 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM

“Attacked”?

You sound pretty defensive. Someone made a joke; I retaliated with a similar joke. Thought we were all friends here…

Fallon on January 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM

bmmg are my initials. I’ve gotten “bowel movement” before, though.

See, this is where I could do a rip on your screen name; ‘cept that, if I did, it would probably be called “rude.” Just like the meat thing. You poked fun at vegetarians; I poked fun at meat-eaters, but when I did it it was called an “attack.”

Just relax.

bmmg39 on January 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My Superbowl party shopping of list of things that offend crybabies is getting awfully long.

– “Django Unchained” action figure
– LEGO “Jabba The Hutt Palace” playset
– Coca-Cola (the Arab & camel commercial)
– Taco Bell twelve pack

CrustyB on January 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Let’s all restrict our diets to plants and their parts.

Just sneak up on those defenseless plant in our yards and garden, amputate their leaves and roots without any anesthetic or apparent care about any stress we may cause. Ignore the profuse bleeding of fluids from the wounds created when we rip or cutoff a leaf or stalk.

Consume fruits such as tomatoes, peppers, apples, oranges, corn, beans, peas, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, etc in ravenous quantities. Relish and enjoy the barbaric consumption of those plants’ reproductive tissues.

JohnFLob on January 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Comment pages: 1 2

Top Pick

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

Top Pick

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”