Green Room

Carville also out at CNN; Erickson moving to Fox?

posted at 11:43 am on January 29, 2013 by

CNN is making a number of moves this week regarding on-air talent.  Both James Carville and Mary Matalin are out, mainly because of their lack of access to Washington DC:

CNN contributors and political power couple James Carville and Mary Matalin are leaving the network, Carville told POLITICO today.

The decision was CNN’s, Carville told POLITICO: “I was told that they wanted the contributors to be more available — essentially, closer to Washington,” he said. “I’m not always available, I don’t live there.”

Carville and Matalin, his wife, live in New Orleans, La.

Our friend Erick Erickson has switched from CNN to Fox, too:

CNN contributor Erick Erickson, a prominent Georgia blogger and conservative radio talker, is reportedly splitting with the network for redder pastures at Fox News.

Politico says it has confirmed that move (see above link).  In a way, that’s too bad.  While Fox is probably a better fit for Erick, it was good to have his voice on CNN.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Erickson to Fox? Bad move. Fox should’ve brought Matalin and Carville over instead of Erickson. I certainly wouldn’t watch a show he was on.

Midwestprincesse on January 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM

That’s one talking head that I will be forced to watch at the airport.

nobar on January 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Neither will I.

He stabbed several Republican candidates in this election…….he just couldn’t make up his mind: “I support him,” No, I don’t,” “I support him instead,” “No, I don’t”. I got seasick.

avagreen on January 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Hey CNN it’s not the talking heads that are the problem, it’s the lack of honest reporting and integrity that are killing your ratings.

Flange on January 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I like James and Mary. Not enough to watch CNN but I like them.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Why stab Eric?

Now is a time to come together and not attack each other.

GardenGnome on January 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Why stab Eric?

If there was a perfect candidate it would have been obvious. Eric went through a lot of the same things we all did. Is he supposed to be all knowing?Now is a time to come together and not attack each other.

GardenGnome on January 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Based on his running of Redstate.com, apparently he is and we’re supposed to lap up everything he writes as the bible of conservatism. This past election he showed himself to be just as unreliable as Romney.

Nutstuyu on January 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Erickson likes to think he’s important when he isn’t. I didn’t like him on CNN at all. He is not someone that I want as part of the GOP.

Midwestprincesse on January 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I’d be fine with all those jokers simply retiring, though I do think Fox should’ve grabbed Carville over Erickson.

changer1701 on January 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

What, exactly, does Erickson even bring to the table?

steebo77 on January 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

If Erickson speaks in the forest and no one hears him, what difference, at this point, does it make?

HopeHeFails on January 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Erickson is a blabbering swine

Rusty Allen on January 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Yes, if there is anything political discount Rae needs, CNN, it’s more voices from inside the beltway.

MayBee on January 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Beltway Echo Chamber.
This will not help CNN at all.

Carville was one of the few they had that was worth listening too.

Jabberwock on January 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Serpenthead and Mary are preferrable to Ericson.

They are better on camera.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I like James and Mary. Not enough to watch CNN but I like them.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I like them too, but Erickson is a real jerk. He made an azz out of himself with his perpetual mocking of Sarah Palin.

JPeterman on January 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I think Erickson was good on CNN because he added a sort of grassroots conservative perspective that literally had none.

CNN has always had insider Republican types, but Erickson was unique there.

On Fox, however, he doesn’t bring much to the table. Fox does a decent job already bringing in different types of conservatives, although they still have way too many establishment types.

Nessuno on January 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Erickson will never live down his thinking that he contributed to the Nikki Haley boom when he and Palin both attended a Haley speech. Then that night he went to Crazyville with that Palin not running day of posting. He lost all credibility, if he even had any. Erickson is too establishment for me.

Midwestprincesse on January 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Jeff Zucker is going hard left…look for the new Socialists that he will hire.

d1carter on January 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Fox should hire Carville and pair him with Dennis Kucinich, Erickson and Gutfield for a revamped “Five.”

Yes, I’m dead serious.

Myron Falwell on January 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

No, The Five is good where it is. They all play off each other. Erick is not a funny person. It wouldn’t mix well.

Midwestprincesse on January 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

At this point, what difference does it make? (heh.)

Galtian on January 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

When James Carville isn’t left/liberal enough……..

portlandon on January 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

CNN lost me when they moved the ice skating rink out of their building.

EricW on January 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

CNN is looking to add more British talent given the runaway success of Piers Morgan. Their next hire will be Zombie Jimmy Savile.

Mr. D on January 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Who cares?

Joey24007 on January 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Bring on the ragin Cajun to Fox. Whether you like his ideology or not, he does have good political instincts.

guido911 on January 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I prefer Carville over Erickson……..trust his instincts more even though I don’t agree with his conclusions. Mary is great.

These two win hands over fist above Erickson, IMHO. Fox is bad enough w/o adding him at this point.

avagreen on January 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

What we really need is for the Koch brothers to live up to their EEEEvil reps, buy one of the big three networks and start bringing some balance to what the majority of America hears. Then they could hire EE, Matalin/Carville, etc. Shifting chairs around at FoxNews doesn’t help much.

mdavt on January 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I like James and Mary. Not enough to watch CNN but I like them.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yep. They’re funny and brash. The only problem with them is that they’re dated, as they’ve been retired from major national politics for 20 years. The presidential politics game is fundamentally different now than it was then, although Carville’s notable innovations (politics of personal destruction and “rapid response”) remain fixtures of modern campaigns.

Outlander on January 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM

In a few months I won’t know who anyone on tv is. I haven’t watched any news since Nov 6 and unplugged the cable last week. We do live streaming netflix over the xbox and control the garbage coming into our house. the big plus is no commercials. major cost savings.

deimos on January 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I would almost rather watch Carville than Erickson on Fox. Erickson just doesn’t seem very intelligent to me.

ModerateMan on January 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Erickson is going to FoxNews?
I quit watching FoxNews about a year ago, and this move makes it even less likely I’ll tune in.

DRayRaven on January 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM