Green Room

Next generation of Catholic clergy more conservative?

posted at 11:52 am on January 27, 2013 by

Ashley McGuire, senior fellow at the Catholic Association, says to expect the next generation of Catholic priests to be different from their recent predecessors.  After a long fight over abortion, and now the government intrusion of the HHS mandate, the seminaries are seeing an upswing in traditionalists and conservatives — perhaps more than anything seen since Vatican II:

The Great Catholic Awakening is a revival of Catholic orthodoxy among youth in the Catholic Church.

My generation of Catholics, men and women in their 20s and 30s, inherited a suffocating spiritual ennui inside the church and a culture of death, promiscuity, sadness, and fear outside her doors.

We were born into a world where millions of babies die of abortion annually, where countless more unborn babies are suspended silently in freezers, where we are told gender is random and marriage is amorphous and dissolvable.

We inherited hell on earth. …

Speaking of record growth at the Washington, D.C. based Dominican House of Studies, Rev. Thomas Joseph White says:

“Young men entering seminary today are coming out of a secular culture and have often made a counter-cultural choice to be Catholic. Our house is receiving more vocations than at any time since the 1960’s, and the men entering tend to be strongly supportive of the teachings of Pope Benedict XVI. They are interested in the recovery of more traditional forms of Christian belief and practice, but also in the evangelization of their peers.”

The trend toward conservatism is liturgical and cultural as well as political, and might have something to do with changing demographics:

The study found that younger nuns entered religious life with positive attitudes about the church and authority and chose orders based on their fidelity to the church. It’s not surprising then, as John Allen noted,that the liberal Leadership Conference of Women Religious has just one percent of female religious orders with more than ten sisters in formation versus 28 percent in the conservative Conference of Major Superiors of Women.

The National Catholic Reporter, a left-leaning Catholic publication admitted, “To put all this into a sound-bite, the next generation of religious will be more ethnically diverse and more traditional.”

This tends to jibe with what I’ve seen, too.  One acquaintance told me that his fellow seminarians were almost all conservative now, which surprised him.  I’m less surprised.  I think the past 40 years, and perhaps the past 12 months especially, have produced a change in perspective for Catholics in general, but specifically for those who feel the call of vocations.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You can chalk this up to the bad theology you see everywhere. People are stupid, they can read a book. For many years liberals succeeded because they paid lip service to the truth. Now they can’t even bring themselves to do that but expect to speak with religious authority. That fool from the National Cathedral, who probably supports both abortion and gay marriage, had the gall to stand up with Feinstein and claim he speaks for the God Lobby. It’s offensive to any rational person, young or old.

Rocks on January 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

People AREN’T stupid.

Rocks on January 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Hopefully, they’re also better at selling Catholicism.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It’s not all about Catholics, though. The motion is wider than that. As a fierce protestant, it’s a sideways frown, but the truth is the Catholic church is become a haven for people trying to get in out of the rain. The Episcopal church, for example, disintegrates (I’m flotsam from that wreckage myself), and what’s a person to do if charismatics are a bit too charismatic?

Catholics are still walking the walls like they are supposed to. There’s still salt there. Many people still want to be with the actual living God, as opposed to lifting themselves up as something to worship (secularism), and many of these are selecting fortress Rome. That includes both sides of the altar.

I’m guessing. IMO. Etc.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

*Remember the DLT? The cold half is getting really, really cold, but the hot half is heating up.

It’s not over.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Ed, I’d love to see you write in depth on your personal Catholic faith. I always wonder when you post stuff like this what position you and the First Mate support as far as the great battle within ‘conservative’ Catholicism between the neo-Cath and the traditional Catholic outlooks.

Vatican Watcher on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My only question is when will the Catholic church make a statement and start excommunicating the bidens, the pelosis et al and all of the fakes that vote for abortion and gay marriage……If it is truly what the church stands for , it should trump the money that comes from the people that are lukewarm at best…..They need to repent, if not they can find a left wing believing church that can twist Gods Word into what they believe. The Word is supposed to change us not the other way around….

crosshugger on January 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Vatican Watcher on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

HEY! DID YOU GUYS AND GALS KNOW THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAS SUDDENLY DECIDED THAT A FETUS IS NOT A HUMAN LIFE?

YUP. ONE OF THEIR HOSPITALS IN THEIR CHAIN OF 170 HEALTH CARE FACILITIES IN 17 STATES WITH NATIONAL ASSETS TOTALING AROUND $15 BILLION IS BEING SUED FOR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE SO, NOW, A FETUS IS NOT A HUMAN LIFE.

Yes, please, Edward and First Mate – tell us more about the ‘Next Generation of the Catholic Church’.

Inquiring minds truly do want to know…

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Inquiring minds truly do want to know…

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

You need to use more caps there, buddy. You’re not using enough capital letters to emphasize your point. Scream louder.

Douchebag.

gryphon202 on January 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

gryphon202 on January 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Meh – it was a copy pasta from another post and I was too lazy to un-CAP all those words.

So sue me.

I promise that I won’t change my dogma of the Trinity if you do.

Otherwise, nice choice of ad hominem’s considering the vast selection to choose from. Not bothering to refute TRUTH and going straight for the ad hominem is a bit juvenile though. Wouldn’t you agree?

Oh. Right.     *dUh*      Probably not. Nevermind.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

They cannot not get here soon enough! I have had to sit thru homilies that extolled the ignorance of what love is in Gods eyes and the possiblity that homosexualtiy was somehow not defined as an abomination. That the fornight of freedom was to be ignored on the upper west side of manhattan with preists that cannot seem to attract children to their schools but have no problem attracting individuals to contribute to stopping fracking 400 miles away.
That social justice starts with free health care that eventually restricts freedom of conscience and costs the archdioceises millions in leagal fees that come from a dollar in a collection basket that was placed there hoping to spread the Gospel and not spread the wealth from poor to rich. That isntructs us to be apolitical while allowing the most political of administrations the venues of Georgetown and Notre Dame to spouse the most disengenous of messages.
Come now and crush this thought: that Christ was not angry with the money changes in HIS FATHERS temples. My GOD is a jealous GOD and HE expects us to adhere to HIS will, to praise HIM and recognize all HIS gifts.

nicknack60 on January 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Well, I saw where the lawyers for the hospital made that argument — and where the bishops are now intervening to make sure that the hospital’s defense team stops contravening the church’s position:

In a letter, Denver Archbishop Samuel Aquila, Colorado Springs Bishop Michael Sheridan and Pueblo Bishop Fernando Isern said that Catholic institutions had “a duty to protect and foster human life”, which they said begins at conception.

“No Catholic institution may legitimately work to undermine fundamental human dignity,” the statement said.

The bishops said that they would carry out a “full review of this litigation and of the policies and practices … to ensure fidelity and faithful witness to the teachings of the Catholic Church.”

Maybe you should do a little more research before besmirching my faith, mm-kay?

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Vatican Watcher on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM |

I’d like to write more about it, but want to do so with respect for the readers who may not care for those kinds of discussions — especially when it attracts people who are irrationally hostile to faith and Catholicism.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Maybe you should do a little more research before besmirching my faith, mm-kay?

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I’m not exactly certain as to how relaying truth and facts is besmirching to you and your faith, Ed. I can understand how you feel though. The light of truth can be hot to the touch sometimes.

I am glad to see that update though and that they’ve instituted some damage control. Especially since it’s now all over and done with and the Catholic Church prevailed in the lawsuit on the merit(s) of their claim that a Human Fetus is Not A Life. Thank God for man’s Law – right? So I guess they’ll be going back to a ‘life starting at conception’ dogma now. That’s nice.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Truth?

… was a lie. It wasn’t the Catholic Church, it wasn’t even a parish; it was the defense team for the hospital. And it leaves out the fact that when the Catholic Church discovered it, the bishops — who act for the church, not the lawyers or the hospitals — took steps to stop it.

But thanks for clarifying your anti-Catholic bigotry. Feel free to keep posting it …. somewhere else. Buh-bye, troll.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The major front is on the side where “social doctrine” is being co-opted by liberals to mean whatever they want.

theperfecteconomist on January 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

theperfecteconomist on January 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I think that the next generation of leadership will do just that. I had a long conversation with my pastor last night about that, in fact.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

[Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM]

+10

Defending the Faith well, so I don’t need to. Thanks, Ed.

Dusty on January 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

How did that experiment with letting homosexual priests handle children work out for them?

logis on January 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Ah, I see the bigots and trolls are out in force today. And that relates to a post about the next generation exactly how? Oh, that’s right, it doesn’t. You read the word “Catholic” and just decided to spew. Thanks for clarifying your status, too.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Defending the Faith well, so I don’t need to. Thanks, Ed.

Dusty on January 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

A couple people have made me feel that way a few times. :) Relaxing, aren’t they? It’s nice to rush to the castle and find a few people panting and nothing to do but grab a mop.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I belong to an Assemblies of God church. I can say with a high degree of confidence that all of the youth leaders are conservative and are very hyped about exposing the inherent hypocrisy of liberalism/socialism among fellow Christians. Particularly, even though the church leadership typically avoids the subject, the youth leaders are constantly trying to shed light on the subject of abortion and emphasizing that a vote for Democrats also directly equates to a vote for abortion. Another major focus is to expose the culture surrounding blindly voting democrat among minorities even though it often conflicts with everything that individual stands for as a Christian (about a third of our church is made up of various minority groups).

Blacksoda on January 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Thanks Ed.

As someone who only goes to church for weddings and funerals, I respect those who do.

rbj on January 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

…so JugEars was good for somethin’?

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

logis on January 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Crap like that, largely perpetrated by men who became priests in the ’60s, ’70s, and early ’80s, is a big reason why the younger generation is becoming much more theologically conservative.

I refuse to apologize for being a Catholic.

Now, excuse us while we kick out the scoundrels that have taken over our Church. Unfortunately, we can’t just vote out bad priests, bishops, cardinals, and popes every few years like we do politicians. This is a process that won’t take months or years; it will take decades, if not generations.

JimLennon on January 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Most of the old “mainline” denominations received an influx because it was a haven from the draft. As these men gained seniority, they tried to make doctrine conform to their cowardly and self indulgent characters. The church suffered as they succeeded. We are in a time of reckoning. Triumphal restoration is coming.

TBinSTL on January 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

SD Tom on January 27, 2013

…it’s okay bubba to spell out your first and middle name too!…Stupid Di_k Tom !

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

TBinSTL on January 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I can’t speak for other ecclesial communities, but I don’t think that was what happened in the Catholic Church. The “liberation theology” fad spread worldwide, and the current Pope had to explicitly denounce it in the 1980s when he was Cardinal Ratzinger. It was a consequence of the opening of the Church through Vatican II, and as you say, the pendulum has begun to swing back toward traditionalism. These kinds of changes play out over decades, not months, and when we put together the traditional understanding of Catholic activism with the opening provided by Vatican II, we’ll have shaken off the unhelpful “innovations” and made the church stronger as a result.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Good to hear. Thanks, Ed.

theperfecteconomist on January 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ed, I made the mistake of looking at the comments underneath the WaPo article you linked. If they found their way over here, your banhammer would be working harder than the proverbial one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

JimLennon on January 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I don’t know, Captain…. Too many of us voted for Mr. Obama.

As for Vatican II, I personally think it did far more good than bad — although the suppression of older forms of worship certainly gave the impression that the older forms were somehow “bad”. I see quite a gap between the positions of Vatican II and those of the modernists of the 1900s — several of whom were excommunicated for advocating the sorts of “clergy get in the way of a personal relationship with God” positions which have most recently turned half of Protestantism into unapologetic communities with openly practising homosexuals as pastors and bishops.

I missed the Latin (Tridentine) Mass — because I could go anywhere in the world and verbally participate in the Mass without knowing the local language — the Missal in English covered all the stuff I couldn’t understand. Thankfully, part of what the current Pope did was to allow the older forms of worship.

That said, I’ve passed on the local “traditionalist Catholic” meeting hall while here in Aurora in favor of a church more obviously in union with Rome — and which conducts its Masses in English. The traditionalists put great store in the language used in the Mass, the exact form of Baptism, and what one wears whilst attending Mass — and not so much store on union with Rome.

I do have the solace of knowing that if I go to Australia, New Zealand, England, or any other English speaking place (including elsewhere in America) the pews will be filled with parishioners and officiating priests still struggling with the words “consubstantial” (of the same substance as) and “incarnate” (made flesh), rather than “one in Being” or “born”.

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

crosshugger on January 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The Church has not been changed by the likes of Biden or Pelosi — in fact, the Bishops have responded with each attempt by them to redefine Catholicism as being broken into a private part and a public part with letters pointing out the clear divergence of that viewpoint from the correct one as held by the Church.

The decision to excommunicate is left to the Bishop of the Diocese of the parish in which Biden or Pelosi claim residency. Those are the Bishops with whom you might want to correspond. As for me, I’m a sinner, and while I believe nothing of the theology of the self which motivate Biden and Pelosi, I’m not about to cast any stones.

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I’ve noticed that the parishes with more conservative priests are doing better than those more liberal.
There’s also studies that showed that the sex abuse scandals were more prevalent in those dioceses that were liberal.

Iblis on January 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Just to clarify, I believe the author of the article believes (as I do) that “traditionalism” does not exclude holding the Liturgy in the vernacular rather than Latin or the priest celebrating while facing the congregation. I see “traditionalism” as eschewing some of the “entertainment” innovations of Mass and some of the modern rhetorical changes to the liturgy (“became human” instead of “became man,” for instance), and a return to a more traditional view of Catholic spirituality rather than an exercise in the material world for its own sake. The Tridentine Mass is a lovely tradition that should not have been barred from the faithful, but the vernacular can be just as “traditional.”

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

JimLennon on January 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Heh. Well, I’m not in love with swinging a banhammer, but I’m getting pretty tired of the trolling that goes on while the vast majority of commenters want to stay on topic and have fruitful discussions of faith. I’m going to be a lot less patient with that kind of trolling going forward.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Blacksoda on January 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

When people (of any ethnicity or religion) go to vote, they often don’t stop to think about the positions a politician takes vs. their religion — and that’s often because their religion isn’t an integral part of their life — it’s reserved for Sundays (Saturdays for some) and other holy days — not for application in their minute-to-minute life. Hence they vote for the blue or the red based on how they’ve always voted, not by any introspection. There are people who believe that you can neatly containerize your “private” faith and act politically in ways counter to it without contradiction. They believe that a person really can serve two masters and serve them both well. I’m sure Biden and Pelosi take Communion in their church every Sunday, and they really do believe that they are in a state of grace as they do so, in spite of their opposition to the obvious teachings and traditions of the leaders of their professed faith.

That’s because to properly serve two masters, they had to construct a God in their own image.

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I understand. You’re more than welcome to contact me at my blog if you feel like an honest exchange of views on the Faith.

Vatican Watcher on January 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Deo gratias

Greek Fire on January 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It’s good to see the conclusion that the next generation of priests and sisters will be more conservative and orthodox…but’s it’s not like it happened overnight…there is a core of courageous priests ordained beginning in the early 80′s who were the first to see the abuses and tried to change the culture. They were harassed and banished to the hinterlands by bishops and senior clergy that had hijacked Vatican II for their own liberal agenda. Some of the these priests unfortunately were driven out by the Pink Mafia but a nucleus of young conservatives supported each other and some of them, but too few, are bishops or in line to advance. They are the ones that paved the path for the next generation…the battle is not won, there are too many Catholics who lack proper knowledge about their faith and the new conservatives will have their hands full, but the dinosaurs are dying off.

ironmarshal on January 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

ironmarshal on January 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

We had one such young orthodox and conservative pastor in his mid-40s in our parish several years ago who is now the Vicar General and the Moderator of the Curia of our diocese. I believe he also oversees and helps to recruit young men to the priesthood. He was a strong conservative presence in our parish and I have no doubt that I’ll be reading that he has been elected bishop of a diocese someday.

PatriotGal2257 on January 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

[Post removed for more off-topic trolling and personal sniping. -- Ed]

Dhurka Dhurka on January 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Just FYI: I’m keeping an eye on this thread. If commenters want to continue debating on off-topic comments made upthread, especially in a personal and nasty way, they simply won’t be commenting here much longer. I’m tired of having every thread in which the Catholic Church is mentioned devolving into a morass of ad hominem attacks, off-topic sniping, and factually deficient accusations. If that means we start weeding out more than a few longstanding problem commenters here, well, fine by me.

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

This trend towards faithful seminarians corresponds with what I’ve seen. There are a whole variety of reasons for this:

1) Liberalism has turned strongly against the Catholic Church in recent years, ergo, fewer libs signing up as clergy.

2) Now that homosexuality is widely accepted, even celebrated and feted in the West, there’s no reason for closeted men with same sex attraction to join the clergy.

3) With the scandal of priestly ephebophilia, there’s a lot more scrutiny of clergy and I believe some men with such predilections are avoiding what is now a risky profession for them.

4) Youth are often rebellious. Orthodox Christianity is hated more by the World today than just about anything I can think of.

5) Both Pope Benedict and his blessed predecessor have been quietly rooting out dissident clergy by patiently applying “mandatory” retirements, or in some cases, transfers to titular diocese. Partenia comes to mind.

6) Libs have fewer children than conservatives, particularly conservative Christians. This trend will accelerate with each generation as liberals start declining in absolute numbers and thus, influence.

7) A revival of faith is coming, and it will need leaders. We are seeing those leaders arrive.

theCork on January 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

theCork on January 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

My big fear (particularly for my generation) is that 4 will prevent 6 from happening. Oh sure they won’t reproduce, but their rebellion against virtue will be hard to overcome, numbers alone may not be enough. I still hold out hope for 7, but I can’t see it happening in my lifetime.

nobar on January 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

[Axe on January 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM]

Yes, and very well put.

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier with errands and all, Axe.

Dusty on January 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Thanks, Ed. Some months back it seemed like many threads tangentially touching on Catholicism, such threads involving Catholic pols, became a “Why Catholics are going to Hell” threads. That got old.

theCork on January 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I can’t see it happening in my lifetime.

nobar on January 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

That’s what prayer’s for :).

theCork on January 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ed Morrissey on January 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Me, too! The genuine debate amongst people of differing faiths, and even those with none, are one thing, but the out right bigotry really does get old. Thank you.

The National Catholic Reporter, a left-leaning Catholic publication

Bishop Finn, the ordinary of the diocese in which that leftist rag is based has written a letter to the people warning them about the heretical nature of the commentary it puts out and basically saying it should not use the name ‘Catholic’. Apparently their bishop years ago told them to stop calling themselves Catholic and they ignored him. How unlike Michael Voris and RealCatholicTV. While Voris et al. really are ‘Catholic’, out of obedience to the bishop (which is the Catholic way), they changed the name. Not so the dissidents and heretics at National ‘Catholic’ Reporter. Shame on them, but good for Bishop Finn.

pannw on January 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

theCork on January 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yup. I’ve been a regular reader of this blog since 2007, although I only managed to get posting privileges in the past year. I came thisclose to leaving permanently a few times because of the rampant Catholic-bashing in a few threads, figuring HotAir was going in a direction in which I would no longer be welcome.

JimLennon on January 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I think a fair number of us who grew up in the ’80s and ’90s have discovered that a lot of what our local RCC folks told us back then was…bullshit. And the internet has helped us discover it through fellow Catholics, and various Catholic websites.

I recall my first communion. We were told that communion by mouth was “Something old people did.” Not, “Something that Catholics are supposed to do but our lame USCCB got us a special dispensation for”.

I didn’t see a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church until HS. None of my priests, religious educators, or Catholic school educators mentioned it. I’ve had so many Catholics say “Oh, well we believe X” and it isn’t true according to the Catechism but I’m sure some priest or teacher told them it was so.

Heck, I was annoyed about the change in the language of the mass recently. Until a fellow Catholic online started talking about the reason behind it. And linked me to stuff about liturgical abuses.

Basically, us younger Catholics were fed a liberal line of bullshit for years and we found out it wasn’t true. And we are not happy.

Personally, I’d really like to see the current leadership in Rome start pulling those dispensations back, start excommunicating people that need it, and all the rest. Oh, and the wife and I are starting to receive communion by mouth. And one of our local churches does the Latin Mass at 1330 on Sundays.

Spade on January 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM