Green Room

March for Life’s best sign of the year

posted at 4:46 pm on January 25, 2013 by

Via The Heritage Foundation’s Ericka Andersen:

March for Life

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yup. All life is sacred, from conception to natural death. I happen to know a couple of people who took one of the buses to DC for the rally for the first time. My wife did many years ago and now a friend who evidently was one of the speakers. She has quite a story. Had been a drug addict, been raped twice and had an abortion. Came to Christ a few years ago and you can see the transformation in her life.

Oh, she was also a very staunch and active supporter for Todd Akin last fall.

Logus on January 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Oh, she was also a very staunch and active supporter for Todd Akin last fall.

Sounds to me like she didn’t fully kick the drug habit after all.

Armin Tamzarian on January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Probably the best sign there this year was one of a panda bear, which itself was carrying a sign that read: “SAVE THE HUMANS!”

I also got the chance to meet Rick Santorum face-to-face. Great guy, soft-spoken, and very humble. It was an absolute pleasure.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but that picture and phrase is usually intended to mock whatever issue it’s addressing.

clearbluesky on January 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

i love it! i literally smiled when i saw it.

clearbluesky on January 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

i know, but i think the person with the sign knew this and was just trying to be funny while still supporting the cause. (well, i HOPE they knew… XD)

Sachiko on January 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

clearbluesky on January 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I’ll admit I was confused by the sign and held off commenting.

Fallon on January 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Sounds to me like she didn’t fully kick the drug habit after all.

Azz-man Tamzarian on January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Well, you would probably know.

GWB on January 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Sounds to me like she didn’t fully kick the drug habit after all.

Azz-man Tamzarian on January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

If we’re lucky, neither will you.

MelonCollie on January 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Azz-man Tamzarian on January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Just remember: If you force the Chrisians to leave or into hiding, you WILL be killed by the invading muslims. They are your best friends, even if you hate them.

nobar on January 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Armin, that was a needlessly nasty comment. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

SagebrushPuppet on January 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I miss the Armin who was the bold presenter of racialist “knowledge.” Also nasty, but different.

The lame faux-libertarian performance artist who only haunts abortion threads is getting pretty stale.

DRPrice on January 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Sachiko on January 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Yes, that was the aim.

Mary Katharine Ham on January 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Does anyone have a reliable attendance figure? I saw part of it on the telly and an estimate was given, but I want to see someone else’s.

Of course, tomorrow’s papers and today’s websites will just show a picture of a seven-person counterprotest, with them holding up wire hangers.

bmmg39 on January 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I work about a 15 min. walk from the Capitol building, so I decided to take Friday afternoon off and go witness this event I’ve heard of for many years.

I managed to get up on the steps of the Reserve Officer’s Asociation building at First and Constitution. It was a great vantage point b/c the march route turned there and I could see a block or so down Constitution.

Wow. The crowd was HUGE. It filled the entire street and I watched it stream steadily by for an hour. Then I decided to get in and walk with the marchers over to the Supreme Court building not far away. Found myself among a group of Franciscan monks who were singing in Latin. That was cool.

The steps of the SC were closed, and the crowd had to stay in the street. There were about 20 pro-abortion folks there. A few people were debating them, but it was mostly a quiet standoff. The sign that actually made me giggle was handmade and held by a petulant teenage pro-abortion (I think) girl: “If I want the government in my womb, I’ll get laid by a Senator.” Heh.

So this is the first time I’ve seen one of these. (I know, I missed 39 other opportunities.) Here are my observations:

1) It was Catholic, Catholic, Catholic.
2) Did I mention it was Catholic? I think every Catholic diocese in Pennsylvania sent a delegation, and they all had a sign. Lots from NJ and NY, but also Birmingham, AL, Salina, KS and even Texas. I did see a couple of token Lutheran banners.
3) It was white, white, white. There were a few blacks, but you had to look really hard to find one. Hispanics? Nope. Asians? Fughitabout it. And not a burka to be found.
4) It was majority female. I guess that stands to reason. Plus guys have jobs so they can pay for their wives and daughters to get on busses and go to marches. Or something.
5) It was young. Lots of college students and a lot of high schools (Catholic, of course) represented.
6) There was NO media. Nothing. Not the first satellite truck, not the first handheld camera or mic. Now, to be fair, I didn’t go to the rally location on the mall with the big stage and speakers.
7) It was nasty weather and nobody cared. At 2:10 it began to snow and didn’t stop until after 4:30. It was about 35 degrees and a little breeze. But people were dressed for it. They came, they marched, they sang, they chanted, they prayed and they hollered. They let their voices be heard.
8) God bless them.

Galtian on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

nobar on January 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

That statement should be printed in every newspaper, published on every web site and blog, and splashed across every television screen in the country. Every. Single. Day. Forever, or at least until the “religion of peace” is pummeled into disgrace and ruin.

HiJack on January 26, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Armin Tamzarian on January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

What an ugly troll you are. Your only “expertise” is being nasty on abortion threads . You add so very little.

CW on January 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I’m very disappointed that this very newsworthy item (hundreds of thousands of teens spend big money etc brave cold to fight for humanity) is not front and center. I understand the Godless MSM burying it but had truely hopes the 40th anniversery of the culture of death’s Magna Cara.

Don L on January 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I did see a couple of token Lutheran banners.
Galtian on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America has not come out in opposition to abortion, so except for a few rogue members, the organization wouldn’t show up. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod always has a presence at the March and has taken a firm stance as pro-life, but ELCA is twice the size of LCMS.

Hat Trick on January 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM