Green Room

America’s newest pothead: Tom Tancredo

posted at 5:35 pm on January 24, 2013 by

A bet’s a bet.

Former Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.) said Thursday he will uphold his end of a bet and smoke marijuana now that the drug has been legalized by a Colorado voting referendum.

The former congressman and anti-illegal immigration activist had told the maker of a documentary about the ballot initiative that he would smoke pot if the measure passed, despite not being a drug user. On Nov. 6, Colorado voters approved marijuana for recreational use 55 percent to 45 percent.

“Look, I made a bet with the producer of the film that if Amendment 64 passed (I did not think it would) that I would smoke pot,” Tancredo said in a statement to Fox News. “I will therefore smoke pot under circumstances we both agree are legal under Colorado law. Hey, it’s better than having to do a stupid dance as (Denver) Mayor (Michael) Hancock must perform as a result of losing a bet on the Broncos beating the Ravens.”

Given his following among grassroots conservatives a few years ago, if he were still in Congress now this would be a big deal for legalization advocates. Depending upon how he media-friendly he is after the Toke Heard ‘Round the World, it still might be.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Meh. I don’t miss it.

rbj on January 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

New GOP theme song – We’re Jammin. Replace the Hope and Change poster with Tancredo in dreads a la Bob Marley and we’re on our way to winning some elections.

msmveritas on January 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Well, I guess he’ll rescind his Constitution Party membership immediately following the first inhalation…

Logus on January 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM

So stupid it makes my head hurt…

Shump on January 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Tom, I have some real dank I think you might like. I’ll load you up a vape bowl…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

He’ll be doing both. Smoking pot first, then the stupid dance.

msupertas on January 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM

msmveritas on January 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We need some music that screams “America”.

And there ain’t nothing more American than The Grateful Dead…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Weed Snob…LMAO..

I hope you brought enough for the REST of the class, Johnny….and some snacks…heh.

BlaxPac on January 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

A little music for you, Tom.

Standing on the Moon – Truly a celebration of all things America…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Weed Snob…LMAO..

BlaxPac on January 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Take what you want, but smoke what you take…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Hey, you bring your Green friends and I’ll bring my Green friends…and then we can all BE friends, a-ight?

BlaxPac on January 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM

They should raffle off 5 spots in the puff-puff circle with Rep Tancredo, with all proceeds to help the CO GOP.

I’d pay big bucks for that. And, I’d bring the dank…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

LOL, nice idea!…And crazy enough that it may actually happen too.

I’d pay big bucks for that. And, I’d bring the dank…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

LMAO…I got the papers and the bowl…bring it on!

BlaxPac on January 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Please, as if he has never smoked pot before.

jhffmn on January 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Tancredo campaigned hard for the passage of Amendment 64 – and did so on the neo-libertarian argument. For those of us who live in state, we know that, unlike the caricature presented via national (and yes, local) media, his opposition to illegal immigration was similarly founded.

Too many conservatives reading the Denver Post and such, failed this state two years ago by believing the dominant leftist press. I dont know who started the meme about low information voters but it is wrong; a lazy scapegoat excuse.

No, the problem is the self-described high information voters that gobble up all the crap and caricatures that the establishment media myopically feeds them.

bains on January 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Pathetic children trapped in grown men’s bodies.

WTF is this country coming to.

SD Tom on January 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Somewhere in the shadows, a liberal is rubbing his bloodstained hands in glee at this news.

MelonCollie on January 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Hey, Tom, don’t bogart that joint, my friend.

College Prof on January 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

And there ain’t nothing more American than The Grateful Dead… JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Johnny Cash…?

Akzed on January 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

JohnGault23

“U.S. Marine Action Drill” reaction to an ambush.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’d pay big bucks for that. And, I’d bring the dank…

JohnGalt23 on January 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

That would be so fun to watch. Heh.

Lightswitch on January 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Johnny Cash…?

Akzed on January 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Well, he did travel every road in this here land…

JohnGalt23 on January 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It can only do him good.

el gordo on January 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

He needs to get the libertarian potheads on the tea party train, teach them economics in their lucid moments. Rush Limbaugh is actually still very entertaining and enlightening stoned, or so someone who is not me told me…

Spartacus on January 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM