Public high school graduation rate now highest in four decades
posted at 3:16 pm on January 22, 2013 by Allahpundit
Illegal immigration has dropped precipitously over the past four years and more high-school students are staying in school than at any time since the 1970s. Who knows what other policy wonders might be accomplished in O’s second term by protracted sluggish quasi-recessionary economic “growth”?
Mark Hugo Lopez, associate director of the Pew center, said the findings confirm trends his organization has been tracking. “We’ve seen a surge in the Hispanic high school completion rate,” he said.
He pointed to the nation’s soft economy as one reason more students are staying in school but added that there is probably a shift in demographics at play, too…
Jack Buckley, commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, agreed with Lopez that the weak economy is one reason for the improvement in graduation rates across the board.
“When the economy turns down or there are poor economic conditions, there’s a lack of available jobs for high school dropouts, fewer jobs that they can actually be qualified for,” Buckley told reporters last week. “Historically, there has been a correlation between the dropout rate going down when the economy is weaker.”
Obama paid this vital subject precisely as much attention in his speech yesterday as you’d expect.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation