Green Room

Wes Welker’s wife not handling yesterday’s loss so well

posted at 1:33 pm on January 21, 2013 by

Go ahead and bookmark this, because between the endless droning about the “Harbowl” and the obligatory pre-retirement lionization of Ray Lewis, sports media will irritate you enough over the next two weeks that you’ll need to revisit it frequently as a sanity check.

Take it away, Anna Burns Welker:

“Proud of my husband and the Pats. By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis’ Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay! What a hall of fame player! A true role model!,” the former Miss Hooters wrote on her Facebook page following the Patriots’ 28-13 loss to Baltimore.

Second look at former Miss Hooters as role models?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Given the over abundance of completely egotistically POS’s in the NFL, I’d rather watch a struggling Tim Tebow than an overpaid Mark Sanchez setting a new record for interceptions.

He may not get another shot to play QB again in the NFL … which is a shame, because with regard to abilities and performance – Tebow overperformed in 2011 and won a playoff game. Peyton Manning, while one of the all time great QB’s, has yet to deliver on that milestone despite his guaranteed HoF capabilities.

PolAgnostic on January 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

No way I’m going to let that one slide.

First I’m a Peyton Manning fan and I believe he’s the best QB of all time. People complain about his “playoff struggles” yet they fail to realize that he never had a great defense, HOF coach, or a Hall of Fame kicker making game winning Superbowl kicks for him like Bredy did 8 years ago.

Funny that after all the criticism that Peyton took after last week that Brady played much worse in losing to the same exact team — the #1 rated offense in the Pats only had 13 points all game and ZERO second half points — yet many still regard Brady as better due to his past postseason success— it’s a team game and you need to be good in all three phases.

Now as for Tim Try Hard:

Please don’t ever mention him in the same sentence as Peyton ever again. I’ve been arguing with Tebow nuts from Denver since last March. Actually I kind of rooted for the game in 2011, but alot of his no-nothing fans have really turned me off.

Let’s get it straight:

The Broncos had a very weak schedule when they had Tebow. They needed Marion Barber to inexplicably run out of bounds to allow the kicker to make a 58 yarder to beat the Bears (that same kicker muffed a 50 yarder against the Ravens last week btw).

Then the Tebow led BRoncos lost their last 3 regular season games, losing the season finale at home to the Chiefs 7-3!! You read that right: Tebow’s offense scored a pathetic 3 points at home in a game they needed to win!!

The only reason they made the playoffs is they backed in by getting help from other teams. Yes, Tebow played well in the playoff win against the Steelers. However, the Steelers were missing a ton of players due to injury and Big Ben was hobbling on one leg. THe OT TD pass was a good 15 yard throw that the WR, D.Thomas made a great stiff arm and ran the other 60 yards or so (better play by the WR, yet Tebow got all the credit).

The following week Tebow’s Broncos got annihiliated 45-10 in New England.

And Peyton had actually led the Broncos to what should’ve been the game winning TD drive. He led a 90 yard drive capped off with a TD pass to put Denver up by 7 points with 6 min left in the 4th quarter only to have his wonderful defense give up the worst play in NFL history with the 70 yard Hail Mary!

Let’s not forget that Peyton’s been to two Superbowls and won one of them. Tebow will probably be out of the league next season. Please don’t ever compare the two again.

And btw in addition to being a great QB Peyton is a conservative who donated to GWB, Fred Thompson in 2008, and Romney. Good to know he’s got a good head on his shoulders so he’s another guy that conservatives can root for instead of only worshipping Tim Try-Hard.

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Ravens vs. 49ers. To the masses, it’s Super Bowl XLVII. To me, it’s Super Bowl SUCK.

And Ray Lewis sucks most of all.

Bitter Clinger on January 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Marriage? Six kids with four women? Marriage?

Role model as a linebacker? He played linebacker as he lived. With reckless abandon and no inkling of consequences. And when he was faced the consequences, he bought them off. Yeah, what a role model that is.

Mitoch55 on January 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Ray Lewis is one of the smartest linebackers out there. He can sniff out a play with the best of them. I don’t say this often here, but you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Why bother to comment?

segasagez on January 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

My bad, I should have been more specific. He has not delivered a playoff win for Denver yet.

PolAgnostic on January 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Are you implying that the Broncos would be better off with Tebow than Peyton Freaking Manning?

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

segasagez on January 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Good point.

Some people have no business talking football.

The on field chess matches between Lewis and Peyton were legendary!

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Ray Lewis is a HOF player, but please spare me with the four-deep cameras trying to catch a photo of the guy kissing the ground—pure obama-esk over-kill.

Rovin on January 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Somewhere, Coach Schembechler is smiling.

rokemronnie on January 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

segasagez on January 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Yep. After all you have to be pretty smart to get out from under a double murder rap.

I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition last week of the plaudits of Lewis’ pre-game dancing abilities and how great a guy he was while the same people destroyed Manti Te’o over…..something.

Tomblvd on January 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Former Miss Hooters..

My girlfriend, Lennay Kakua – God rest her soul, was runner up that year. -Manti Teo

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

CRY LIKE BABIES…….What the Patriot Gals do best.

first Giselle, now this Hooter gal?

PappyD61 on January 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I find Ray Lewis’s grandstanding ridiculous and bordering cuckoo. Seeing him on the ground, head pressed into the turf surrounded 3 deep by reporters, cameras, microphones was stupid.

It’s just off putting.

portlandon on January 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM

And that prayer thing in the middle of the field?……what the heck was that? Overboard much?

PappyD61 on January 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on January 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

It could have been worse. He could have called her his “baby mama”.

And look on the bright side, the Super Bowl is 2 weeks away. A few knivings and he’s back at the top of the draft board.

Tomblvd on January 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Listen I hate the Ravens and rooted against them but THEY played almost flawlessly. They took the Pats the woodshed. Congrats to them. They represent the AFC North well.

CW on January 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

only worshipping Tim Try-Hard.

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

As a fan of both Manning and Tebow, I don’t know why you have to denigrate a fine man to defend another.

I don’t know how good Tebow really is on the field. I agree he’s no Manning, but Manning is truly amazing. Still, he sure didn’t do Florida any harm when he was there and I don’t see that he has hurt his pro teams either. They seem to have stunk regardless of him. I hope he gets another chance so we can really know. I’d love for him to come to Nashville. We could use something to shake things up and at least he’d be appreciated for the man he is even if the QB part ends up being lacking.

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

segasagez on January 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Please. He’s a punk and a thug. He should be in cell right next to Rae Carruth.

Mitoch55 on January 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Gotta love the wiki entry.

Personal Life
Sentence 1
Ray Lewis is a Christian, and his commitment to his faith was featured in Sports Illustrated.
Sentence 2
He has 6 children with 4 women.

Paying off the 2 murder victim’s families to avoid prison was impressive as well.

talkingpoints on January 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Hooters.

SparkPlug on January 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Sour grapes.

Unlike Ms Hooters there, I make allowances for people to repent and change their lives.

DRayRaven on January 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Have you ever seen Lewis show a willingness to candidly explain why he obstructed justice in the first place?

How much actual repenting do you believe people have done when they continue to struggle with taking responsibility for what they did wrong?

Anti-Control on January 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Somewhere, Coach Schembechler is smiling.

rokemronnie on January 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Why? Scumbagler was the most overrated coach in college football.

8 weight on January 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Gisele asked her to deliver the gracious post-game comments after this year’s Patriots loss.

Christien on January 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, why do the Patriots’ wives get to talk and get a platform after they lose?
Sheesh.
As long as Belichick and Brady are there I have to keep rooting against them.
And I have to root for San Francisco in 2 weeks, although they would get six rings and move into a tie for first place with the Steelers.
Hopefully that will make the Steelers hungrier to play for ring #7.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

First I’m a Peyton Manning fan and I believe he’s the best QB of all time.

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

The best QB of all time doesn’t have a post season record of 9-11 with 8 one and dones. Let’s be serious. We can call him the best regular season QB of all time but not the best of all time.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Mrs. Welker is just bitter and angry that she’s married to a guy who has choked twice in the playoffs so she points out for flaws in other people so she can feel better about her choking husband.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

“I’m deeply sorry for my recent post on Facebook. I let the competitiveness of the game and the comments people were making about a team I dearly love get the best of me. My actions were emotional and irrational and I sincerely apologize to Ray Lewis and anyone affected by my comment after yesterday’s game.

“It is such an accomplishment for any team to make it to the NFL playoffs, and the momentary frustration I felt should not overshadow the accomplishments of both of these amazing teams.”

RedRobin145 on January 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Too late. We’ve already seen your pathetic soul.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Sheesh.
As long as Belichick and Brady are there I have to keep rooting against them.

22044 on January 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Don’t forget that Giselle also likes to preach about global warming.

Ever see the size the mansion her and Uggs have??

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I’m sorry but do QB’s play head to head directly against each other? Or do the 52 guys on the team have something to do with the outcome as well? Football is won and lost in the trenches and Peyton’s had soft finesse teams throughout his career. With the Colts they had some nice skill players, but they were very soft on the line of scrimmage, especially on defense. Freeney and Mathis were great at rushing the passer, especially when Peyton spotted them 14 points or so, but if it was a tough smash-mouth game you could run the ball down their throats.

It’s amazing that with all this groupthink of people bashing Peyton due to his 9-11 playoff record but people overlook all this. People say Brady is better due to more postseason success but they forget many things such as:

It’s been 8 long years which is an eternity in sports since Brady’s won a Superbowl

Peyton has won a Superbowl more recently (2006)

Peyton won the last time they played head to head in the 2006 AFC Champ game.

When Brady won he had a top five defense and maybe the best defensive mind ever in Belicheat.

Brady had a Hall of Fame kicker making game winning kicks in the Superbowl for him in Vinateri

For the first Superbowl, Brady fumbled against the Raiders, game should’ve been over but thanks to the Tuck Rule they won after another Vinater game winner.

In the first superbowl Ty Law had a pick six and Brady only had 150 yards or so passing.

The Pats haven’t won since Spygate.

Brady started out 10-0 in the postseason but is now 7-7 ever since he lost the great kicker and great defense.

Peyton played much better against the Ravens than Brady. Peyton threw for 3 TD’s (2 of them were beautiful over the shoulder passes in tight spaces). He also led a great 90 yard TD drive to put the Broncos up by 7 with 6 min left in the game before their defense gave up the worst blown coverage in history on that 70 yard hail mary!

Yesterday Brady only had 1 TD pass and the league’s highest scoring offense only had 13 points, ZERO in the first half.

So my point is that your teammates matter, a lot. If it wasn’t for Rahim Moore blowing that coverage on the Hail Mary the Broncos beat the Ravens and most likely Peyton is playing in his third Superbowl.

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

pannw on January 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Why do I have to denigrate Tim-Try Hard you ask?

Because of people who know nothing about football like Polagnostic have to spew things like (Tebow won a playoff game in Denver and Peyton didn’t). It’s like their implying that Tebow is better or something. It’s beyond ridiculous. I’ve argued with several Tebow lovers since last March and most of them are clueless and think that Elway stabbed poor Timmy in the back.

I like Tebow and wish him well but he’s not a good QB. A 55% completion percentage, with a super long release, no pocket awareness, and no ability to read a defense make him a terrible QB. There’s a reason no team wants him as a QB.

And it was pathetic of Tim’s brother (a pastor in Denver) to send out a tweet last week asking if he was the only one in Denver who was smiling after the Broncos lost. Tim should’ve publicly apologized for his brothers comments as it looks bad on him.

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I’m sorry but do QB’s play head to head directly against each other?
LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

Well if post season record and super bowl wins don’t mean anything then Brett Favre is the best of all time. He has all the records to prove it.

Face it, Manning is great but he is not the best ever. Heck even every analyst I watched this past Sunday didn’t bring up his name when they were calling Brady the best ever.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Too late. We’ve already seen your pathetic soul.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

She’s still a better person than Ray Lewis, and than you, too! :)

Anti-Control on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

She’s still a better person than Ray Lewis, and than you, too! :)

Anti-Control on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

What are you her mother?

And what are you in 5th grade saying “and you too”? Oohh you got me there. Does your dad know you are using his computer?

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

The Broncos lost the game due to Coach Fox not believing with 31 seconds, two time outs, and Payton Manning as his QB, that he couldn’t get them in field goal range to win the game in the thin rocky mountain air.

RedRobin145 on January 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM

RedRobin145 on January 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM

*Peyton not Payton

RedRobin145 on January 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

What are you her mother?

Awwww, does the truth hurt you that much? :lol:

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Oh, there’s a 5th grader here alright, one who’s defensive, cranky, and in denial!

Anti-Control on January 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Your liberty and freedom are under attack by a Marxist cabal in the White House….and you folks are arguing about a mindless corporate business that produces nothing of value.
Sad.

dirtengineer on January 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Wow, where to start … let’s take what you chose to ignore right off the top:

Peyton Manning, while one of the all time great QB’s …

PolAgnostic on January 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

So I came not to bury Manning but to praise him … and as I noted I had an oops regarding “not delivering a playoff win for Denver.”

Any way you slice it, the last 30 seconds in regulation with two timeouts … Peyton Manning can decide to run whatever plays he wants and if Mr. Fox does not know enough to keep his mouth shut about “I ordered him to take a knee!” regardless of how it comes out … well, I’d love to see the video of the aftermath because I have never seen anyone actually run out of town on a rail.

Moving on …

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

You might take notice that I went in an entirely different direction regarding Tim Tebow.

With regard to Tebow, Whatever happened to the idea of a full time fullback like Larry Czonka? Am I missing something or doesn’t Tebow seem like an opportunity to change the running game?

PolAgnostic on January 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm … looks like I don’t think Tebow’s suited to be a quarterback, doesn’t it?

LevinFan on January 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Frankly, that is just rude because you are intentionally ignoring what I had said across multiple posts so YOU can pass judgement on my football knowledge by saying I said things I did not.

What do we call people who use straw man arguments, misquote and mischaracterize what others have said regardless of the facts?

You are a better person than the rant you have engaged in on this thread. Peyton Manning is guaranteed a spot in the Hall of Fame. You know, if he was asked to comment on Tebow today he would be gracious and suggest Tebow’s talents might be used better than they have been so far.

Is there any particular reason you did not weigh in on the “Tebow as fulltime fullback” suggestion I made?

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

That was not Peyton Manning’s call to take a knee. Ever watch the guy play? Does that seem like his style to you, to have no faith in his ability or no killer instinct, to want to play it safe? There’s a reason they call it the “head coach”. John Fox has the ultimate say and I’d bet my life that it was his call that he made the call to take a knee. Just look at his track record, he was the ultimate play it safe coach in Carolina. And after game Fox used a boxing analogy that the he felt like a boxer that just took a huge punch and just wanted to get to the next round. He said he’d do the same thing again and that it was HIS call to take a knee. So why yes Peyton can often call his own plays, in that situation it was Fox’s call.

You’re the one who brought up the original point that Tebow won a playoff game in Denver and that Peyton didn’t. Why even bring that up? You do know there’s a rapid bunch of know-nothing Tebow fanatics out there who rooted for the Broncos to fail all season and think the kid is basically God right? As for why I didn’t comment on Tebow being a full back: he’s irrelevant. I don’t care about him, I just don’t like seeing him in the same sentence as an all time great.

I wouldn’t be so sure, how do you know what Peyton would say? He may say something nice as he’s all class, but the fact is no team appears to want Tebow as a starting QB.

Tebow is irrelevant. Don’t try to build him up by saying he won a playoff game in Denver while Peyton didn’t. He won a fluke game against a Pittsburgh team with a ton of injuries. The following week they got blown out in New England. As long as you don’t think Denver shouldn’t have kept Tebow over Peyton, we’re good. I’ve seen that argument so many times from the Tebowites and it drives me insane.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

What does that have to do with anything?

The Notorious G.O.P on January 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM

According to you postseason wins and superbowls mean everything. Are Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams better than Dan Marino? They both have a ring while Marino does not. According to your logic they’re better.

It’s not Marino’s fault he never had a running game or a defense. Are you telling me Marino couldn’t have stepped onto those stacked Niners teams and won?

Peyton was on pace to break pretty much all Favre’s records (except the INT record)before missing the 2011 season and he still may actually break them despite Favre playing much longer.
Again you completed glossed over all the points I made about Brady playing on much better teams. He started 10-0 with a great defense and kicker making game winning superbowl kicks. Since he lost both of those things he’s only been 7-7. In fact, over the last 4 years Brady has only had 2 good games in the playoffs:
A blowout win over the Tebow led Broncos last year and a blowout last week over the Texans (basically this years version of the Tebow led Broncos).

My all time greatest QB list:

1. Peyton: the best all around combo of leadership, talent, and preparation. Constantly made his teammates better.
2. Marino: Best pure passer ever.
3. Elway: More impressed with the 3 Superbowl losses than 2 wins as he took 3 bad teams to the dance.
4. Montana: Got it done in the clutch and never lost a Superbowl despite playing on a stacked team.
5. Favre: The ultimate gunslinger, came back over the age of 40 to still have one of his best seasons with the Vikings.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

A couple of other thoughts:

For my money, it was easier for John Elway to make the deal to bring Manning to Denver because of the 2011 success the team had and, regardless of his shortcomings (which I referred to as him overperforming), Tim Tebow does deserve credit for his part in the Broncos’s 2011 season.

That doesn’t mean Elway “stabbed Tebow in the back” – Elway had a once in a lifetime opportunity/risk scenario he HAD to take with Manning.

Did Tebow HAVE to leave Denver?

Probably, but I was hoping Manning would make a case to Elway to keep him as a full time fullback (based on Manning selling the idea to Tebow) because if you are Peyton Manning trying to pull off the ALL TIME GREATEST COMEBACK from a career ending injury … wouldn’t you want an 800 pound gorilla tasked with keeping the defensive gorillas from taking you out of the game?

FYI, the reason I am pitching the full time fullback (yes, I know – “Nobody does that anymore.”) is because I am now watching the fourth iteration in the NFL of the “You’ve got to have a big, strong, highly mobile quaterback” argument despite it having been proved a really bad idea the other three (or more) times it has been tried in the almost 50 years I have been watching professional football.

RGIII’s career may already be over thanks to this latest iteration. Some of the other QB’s being advertised as the “next big thing” may also be lost in the process. I just think it makes more sense to dust off an idea everyone seems to have forgotten, give it a try and see if you can preserve a few “franchise players” in the process.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM

RedRobin145 on January 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM

The biggest reason they lost is because they’re supposed #2 ranked defense was exposed for being a bunch of frauds. They couldn’t stop the run, got no pass rush, and Champ Bailey got burned for two deep TD’s.

Then they gave up the worst secondary play of all time with a 70 yard Hail Mary with 40 seconds left.

And yes I’m livid with Fox forcing Peyton to take a knee with 30 seconds left. It’s not even close to being the main reason they lost though.

And I don’t think Fox didn’t believe in Peyton, Fox has been ultra conservative his whole career.

Football is the one arena where being conservative is actually a bad thing!

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:47 AM

A couple of other thoughts:

Did Tebow HAVE to leave Denver?

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM

The biggest reason that didn’t happen is that Tebow was set on being a starting QB. He didn’t want to change positions last year, I don’t know if that’s still the case now.

Elway gave Tebow the choice between the Jets and Jacksonville. I think Tebow made the wrong choice. He would’ve had more of a chance to start with the Jags. I think he chose NY since it was a bigger platform to spread his message.

That being said I wish the Broncos would use a FB more, as they did too many one back sets, using 180 lb Ronnie Hillman on short yardage and getting stuffed against the Ravens.

And I agree with you about run first QB’s. They don’t work out too well in the NFL. YOu need to be able to primarily be a pocket passer first. Being able to run a bit is a plus, but doing it as your main focus often ends up in injury like it did with RG3 and Vick.

You seem to know some stuff about football so I apologize for saying you knew nothing about it.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Sad.

dirtengineer on January 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

It’s called being able to walk and chew gum at the same time!

What are we not allowed to enjoy ourselves anymore?

Kind of a contradiction too that you talk about the Marxist in the WHite House and then say “mindless corporate business”. That part sounds like Occupy Wall Street to me.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

How do I know what Peyton would say?

You should be a little ashamed of that statement since you view him as the “all time greatest QB”.

2. Marino: Best pure passer ever.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Is there any of those players who was EVER ANYTHING other than a classy guy before, during and after their career?

When you are someone who is on EVERYONE’S “All Time Greats” list – you’ve learned you can ALWAYS be generous when talking about others in the game.

FYI, I’d shuffle your list and add some more – but that’s true for everyone. In my case, I’ve been watching the game for a lot of years … all the back to when Lombardi was coaching … so I would add some QB’s from the ‘Stone Age’.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I think he learned a little humility this year.

I agree completely with your statement.

Agreed, and I am worried it will end up costing Manning the most.

This is where I blame the coaches and front office. It is a ridiculously shortsighted trade off of “Get attention now” for “Develop and protect someone who could be the next Manning or Brady”.

No blood, no foul. :) “This is Sparta Hot Air!

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Sad.

dirtengineer on January 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Can you not multitask?

Why are you taking the time to post about politics and your negative feelings about professional sports in a thread related to football, anyway? I find that to be sad.

Anti-Control on January 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM

How do I know what Peyton would say?

I don’t see the connection of why I should be ashamed. None of us can say for sure what someone else would say about a subject, we can only assume or speculate.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I’d say Favre turned out to be not so classy. I was disappointed in him to learn of the text images of his junk he sent out to the Jets girl. Especially since he and his wife were high school sweethearts, she fought breast cancer, I lose respect for him that he cheated on her.

I’m still a big Favre fan for his on the field talents, but it just shows that they’re not all saints.

Peyton has always seemed to be all class… and he’s conservative :)

What’s your top five list?

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

What’s your top five list?

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Well, with a caveat it won’t be just 5 and these are based on being older than some forms of dirt …

1. Montana – he was the type of quarterback who made the team better than the sum of its parts and never lost a Superbowl. He was a great competitor and made some passes to Jerry Rice I can still replay in my mind.

2. Fran Tarkenton – From the ‘Stone Age” – After 17 seasons, he owned every QB record when he retired. He was the original “mobile quarterback” and certainly the only one with such a long career.

3. Brett Favre – you are right, NY seems to bring out the douche in players but the length of his career, his consecutive games played, the list goes on and on … and some of his records may never be broken.

4. Brady – He is an exceptional quarterback with regard to how the game is played today. Manning may have the better technical skills by a bit, but Brady has the track record of delivering wins during and after the season.

5. Manning – he took a second rate football town and team and turned them all into winners. Indianapolis was a “rust belt” ghost town before he came and he turned it into something far better by winning – not a lot of quarterbacks have that on their resume. He also is one of the three best “thinking quarterbacks” (i.e. someone who visualizes almost every aspect of every play before the footbal gets hiked)

6. Bradshaw – the last of the 1930′s type players … except he played in the 1970′s. Superbowl wins, a dynasty team and the last quarterback I can think of who seemed to enjoy almost every single second of playing the game.

7. Marino – Not as good a quarterback as Elway but, for my money, always more exciting to watch than Elway because of his passing. If were a team owner, I’d go with Marino because he was the epitome of the skills required for his time.

8. Elway – He doesn’t get the attention he deserves because he went to and stayed with Denver. In another city, with a stronger owner/front office to put the right coaches and players on the field – he might have ended up the BEST of all time – but we’ll never know.

By the way, I HATED the Steelers during the Bradshaw / “Steel Curtain” years … but I always tended to watch their games.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

A few I think deserve at least honorable mention: Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgensen, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, and Kurt Warner.

I often think Marino was underrated – imagine what he might have done in SF under Walsh. Or, what about Favre’s career, if he had had a coach who knew how to help him cut down on his stupid interceptions, as it seems he had in his year in MN.

Greg Cook was a QB who was with Cincinnati while Walsh was a coach there, but got injured during his first year, ruining his career. His numbers as a rookie look like they came from a video game! I know Walsh said he thought if they had been able to work together under normal circumstances, Cook would have set records that never would have been broken.

Anti-Control on January 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I live in New England and hate Brady and the Pats. I’ve had numerous arguments about Peyton vs Brady. The most common reason people give for Brady being better is that he’s had more postseason success. I don’t buy that as Brady’s been on better team. When he won 3 SB’s, he had a great defense and a great kicker making game winning SB kicks. He also had maybe the best coach and overall defensive scheme guy in Belicheat.

Peyton’s teams always had a finesse defense built to rush the passer after he gave them a big lead.

As to why you ranked Brady ahead of Peyton: you seemed to mainly do so based on postseason success right? If so then wouldn’t Brady have to be ahead of Faver (3 rings vs. 1)?

If Favre is ahead of Brady due to his records, then Peyton should be as well since he was on pace to break just about all of Favre’s records (except for INT’s) before missing the 2011 season – and he actually may still break most of them.

Also let’s consider that when Brady got hurt the Pats still won 11 games with Matt Cassell who just got benched by the Chiefs for Brady Quinn. When Peyton missed 2011 season, the Colts only won 2 games. That just goes to show how much was on Peyton’s shoulders and what great overall talent and offensive system the Pats have.

Finally, how many QB“s can rehab from 4 neck surgeries, and have the MVP Peyton did in his first year in Denver. This is while still rehabbing all year and learning a new playbook, adjusting to new players and coaches.

Overall your list is pretty good, but I’d say Bradshaw is too high. A few of his SB’s, he wasn’t that much of a factor. He was for the last two, not the first two. He played on a really great team but I don’t think he’s of the same caliber of Marino or Elway.

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM

Anti-Control on January 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM

This is the problem – there have been at least 20 quarterbacks who, if taken in the context of the game when they played, were major factors on how the game is played today.

I think the trouble with the idea of “any ONE being the greatest ever” is it misses the bigger picture of how the game evolved.

It’s probably better as a timeline that highlights the players, coaches and owners who have had the greatest influence on the game.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 4:18 AM

LevinFan on January 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM

At the end of the day, we can keep making the case for each of our pics for at least another day.

My pics have personal, subjective aspects unrelated to just the stats – it doesn’t make them right, it just makes them the folks I would choose.

Like I said in my post just a minute ago, better to do a timeline that highlights the players, coaches and owners who have had the greatest influence on the game.

I think that would give everyone a better feel for the game.

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM