Green Room

Yes, you can still buy ammo at Wal-Mart

posted at 9:58 am on January 20, 2013 by

We’re still getting e-mails wondering why we haven’t condemned Wal-Mart for caving to the Obama administration and suspending sales of ammunition.  Well, it’s because it never happened.  This rumor started about a week ago, and an announcement from Wal-Mart earlier this week revealed it as entirely false:

CNSNews.com reported Monday that Walmart had suspended further ammunition orders until the findings of the Biden gun-control task force are released.

To set the record straight: Walmart tells CNSNews.com that the store’s ammunition policy has not changed.

“We continue to offer that product to our customers and you know, we’ll continue to do so,” Kory Lundberg, a Walmart spokesman, told us on Tuesday. “We haven’t made any changes in the product mix in that category.”

Walmart continues to stock and sell ammo in its stores, he confirmed.

And in areas of the country where Wal-Mart sells ammunition and firearms, “We’re committed to do so responsibly and safely,” Lundberg said. “We certainly understand there are sportsmen and hunters out there who use these products responsibly, and we want to continue to meet their needs while also continuing to make sure that we’re selling these products in a safe and responsible manner.”

It’s true that a recent run on ammo sales have left some retailers short on stock, but that will rectify itself when the buying spree slows down.  Wal-Mart may be one of the retailers affected, but based on my personal dealings with the chain as a (minor) vendor, I’d guess that they have pretty tough terms with suppliers that put them first in line for any new shipments.  In any case, Wal-Mart continues to sell ammo, has no plans to stop doing so, and apparently never did.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Doesn’t Walmart have the reputation for driving hard bargains with vendors?

In this market do vendors have to put up with retailers who want to drive hard bargains?

goatweed on January 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I reload and gun owners who are fearful of a shortage of certain kinds of ammo ought to buy some reloading equipment and learn how to use it.

Vince on January 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

. Moot point. Most all of the reloading supplies and equipment have been scarfed up as well.

rayra on January 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

goatweed on January 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Ammo and firearms manufacturers do NOT dictate terms to a buyer like Walmart. They either refuse to cut the deal or they do as well as they can.

People don’t realize how truly small the firearms industry is. In relation to Walmart they are miniscule – and yes that includes the ‘big’ names. In years gone by after atrocities several of them (Ruger comes to mind) were looking at bankruptcy due to nuisance suits.

Still waiting for the Walmart press release saying they won’t sell ammo. Guess I should call HQ myself.

CorporatePiggy on January 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM

dentarthurdent on January 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Thanks and for your following post.

viking01 on January 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

It seems managers decide what to stock. One Walmart in my area sells a lot and has empty shelves. Another not only has ammo, but has it marked CLEARANCE along with gun accessories. Picked a few things up just yesterday.

ROCnPhilly on January 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM

You can buy ammo from Wal-Mart. I know because different shelves are empty whenever I walk into my local in Sierra Vista, AZ.

A couple of shelves remain the same, though: 9mm, .40, and .45 always seem to be empty. Tough to find the popular calibers in FMJ range loads.

Sgt Steve on January 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I think that Walmart serves a good purpose in the business world, but the world is made up of many people with many different opinions. Here, in our local community, our Walmart hires many aged senior citizens, which I think is great. I don’t shop there often, because I don’t need much of what they sell. However, the other day, I was walking past the gun area and noticed a discussion between two gentlemen and elderly employee; who, with a raised voice was telling them that they can’t use an AR-15 for hunting. The two gentlemen were trying to explain to the elderly librul that hunting had nothing to do with it. But the old man couldn’t get it past his librul indoctrination. The OCG and I chuckled all the way out the door. I suspect the two gentlemen will just go up the highway to Bills sporting goods (I wonder why Walmart didn’t put them out of business like the libruls are always avowing?)

Old Country Boy on January 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Some Walmart locations have, if fact, pulled all their stock of ammunition from their shelves. The location at Marsh Lane and Frankford Road in Carrollton, TX is one of them. I went there to buy target ammo several few weeks ago, found the shelves to be completely empty, and had the clerk tell me all ammo is locked up in the store room until further notice. There seems to be some discretion involved in whether they continue to sell ammo–at least temporarily.

stvnscott on January 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

To quote my son who was scouting to replenish his supplies yesterday…

Barren Wasteland

2nd Ammendment Mother on January 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ask the sporting goods clerk when the new shipments are due in.. If your local Walmarts are like mine, the trucks pull in around 10:00 at night and the shelves are stocked around 7:00 the next morning.

Plan your shopping accordingly. I just happened to be at Walmart as the girl at the sporting goods counter was unpacking a fresh case of Russian 7.62×39 and was able to buy up a bunch.

$5.17/20-rd. box, not too bad, considering.

Bruce MacMahon on January 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Please provide proof of what you state. This is how bs rumors get started.

Vince on January 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back. Right after writing that yesterday, I went to …. a gun show in a nearby city and spent the day there. By the way, no bulk packs [>20 rounds] 5.56, limited bulk 7.62, mags absurdly expensive but I got what I needed at twice what they used to cost [and only because I concentrated on shopping amongst the vendors, some were 7 times what they used to be, and that is for surplus, new being higher], NO .22 LR bricks. Show crowded. Mood seemed … fatalistic, and people were not buying as many firearms as they were concentrating on the care and feeding of what they had. Reloading supplies limited and getting more expensive.

As far as whether the ammunition sold is being fired or stored; both. I and my friends have spent more time on the range in the last couple of months than in the year before, and the .22 is wanted because we are training new shooters. And we are building up our personal supplies.

Speaking on the Walmart question, the local Sporting Goods manager is used to seeing me there; and the way they do it is that they have to order via computer every day. The system tells them if there is anything in the warehouse for that item, and lets them know if they can expect it overnight/the next morning. They cannot have a standing order in the system, so they have to re-order daily. On a good day, they get maybe a case or two of one or two calibers. The ammo counter opens at 0700. To a line of people. By 0900 or so at the very latest, it is gone. Repeat daily.

In any case, I did not get back to the thread until now. Confirmations as requested:

Dick’s Sporting Goods:

With the information at that link, you should be able to trace down far more information such as legal filings. Keep in mind that not only did the customers lose out on that deal, while they were on hold thinking that they had locked in a purchase, the price of EBR’s went up drastically.

Bank of America:

same story, different firearms company:

The bailout, and their connections with the DNC and the Obama campaign are public record.

Subotai Bahadur on January 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM