Green Room

Well, it’s good to have a hobby

posted at 3:13 pm on January 19, 2013 by

… but this one qualifies as Stalkerville.  And what’s worse, as Poor Richard’s News points out, is that this compulsive presidential pen pal isn’t just some obsessed creep with nothing better to do … he’s a reporter for CNN.  Tom Foreman wrote a letter to Barack Obama every day he has been President, posting them to CNN’s website, and will only swear off doing so after his inauguration for a second term:

Inauguration Day will signal the culmination of an effort I launched on January 20, 2009, to write a letter to the White House every single day of Barack Obama’s first term.

And I do mean every day. Weekends, holidays, when he was on vacation, and when I was on vacation. I wrote in my office, at home, in moving airplanes, cars, trains and even while running through the woods. I wrote early in the morning, in the middle of the day and late at night.

I wrote about things that were important, like unemployment, Afghanistan and women’s rights. I also wrote about things that were trivial, like sports, favorite foods and my yearly battle with Christmas lights.

The tally: 1,460 letters, well over a half-million words, or enough to fill about seven novels. Laid out as one line of text, these letters would stretch almost 3½ miles or considerably longer than the inaugural parade route.

I did not intend to get in this deep.

This part seemed rather … odd:

I don’t know if he ever read a single line. All I know is that in almost every missive, I invited the president to give me a call. He never did. And I don’t blame him.

PRN wonders what CNN management thinks of this strange hobby:

CNN should be embarrassed that they’ve kept this guy in their employment for the past four years. To allow someone with what appears to be a quite unhealthy obsession with President Obama to work as a “journalist” is unconscionable.  Then again, it seems most of the media has an unhealthy obsession with Obama. Unlike Tom Foreman, however, they’re just not willing to admit it publicly.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If it wasn’t a gimmick to get hits on his blog, then yea, pretty creepy.

Ted Torgerson on January 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Newsweek’s top competition.

nobar on January 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Extremely creepy. But think of how many people there are wanting to be led by the nose out there. That’s the creepy part.

ButterflyDragon on January 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM

love letters <3

Sachiko on January 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I wrote about things that were important, like unemployment

I don’t know if he ever read a single line

My money is on no.

Kataklysmic on January 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I did not intend to get in this deep.

Clearly, Mr. Foreman, the TOTUS POTUS never responded to your unrequited love out of sheer compassion for you and your safety.

He It correctly ascertained — and as evidenced by history, rightly so — that any such contact would have made you susceptible to injury or even death from fainting.

So you see: in not responding, he really did respond to you in the most benevolent way possible after all!

/Leftist, irrational, and nuanced (i.e. too clever for you knuckle-dragging conservative wackos out there to follow) logic …

ShainS on January 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

CNN should be embarrassed that they’ve kept this guy in their employment for the past four years. To allow someone with what appears to be a quite unhealthy obsession with President Obama to work as a “journalist” is unconscionable. Then again, it seems most of the media has an unhealthy obsession with Obama. Unlike Tom Foreman, however, they’re just not willing to admit it publicly.

My first thought was Chris ‘Tingles’ Matthews…

RalphyBoy on January 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ha! This reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSczLif0q4

Blake on January 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I don’t know if he ever read a single line

My money is on no.

Kataklysmic on January 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Ya think?

Ah, the neutral news media.

talkingpoints on January 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Oh, so it’s not a tomato; it’s actually a tomahto. Yeah, there’s no overlap there at all.

logis on January 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Dear Barry,

What do dogs taste like? Specifically, are they tougher than snake? Crunchier, chewier, scrumptious…er?

Slade73 on January 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

“The Obama Letters”

By I. M. Knutz

Coming soon to Amazon.

Rod on January 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

There was this girl once, The judge says I can’t talk about it.

Gwillie on January 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Dear Barry,

What is it like being a liar?
What is it like to know your wife hate America even more than you do?
What is it like to know you weren’t born in the US but still managed to become President?
What is it like to have a permanent bend in your spine to other world leaders?
What is it like to be the worst President ever?
What is it like to spend millions on vacations?
What is it like to be absent on everything of substance you have ever faced while in office?
What is it like to know you have Benghazi blood on your hands?
What is it like to know that no matter what you try, you’ll never get our guns?
What is it like to live in the inside but know deep down you should be on the outside?
What is it like to know you have accomplished absolutely zero in your life because of anything other than being half black?
What is it like to eat dog?
What is it like to have a imaginary girlfriend?
What is it like to know you won’t be able to answer these questions without teleprompter assistance?

Sincerely,
America

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

No surprise here. The favorite hobby of Obama’s “journolists” is sucking his …

No need to draw you the whole picture. I’m sure you understand.

woodNfish on January 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Didn’t I hear something somewhere about a slobbering love affair?

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

It’s only the flip side of OOTD.

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Ah yes, I would hope. But somehow I feel his letters were just “filed” in the journolist bin. Along with:
Bob Schiefer’s- “I had a dream. It was about you.”
Tom Brokaw’s – “Give us this day our daily bread”
Al Sharton’s – “Conspire we much”
Martin Bashir’s – “Can I have another puppy? Pleeaaase?”
Diane Sawyer’s – “I could rock your world like you sure do mine.”
George Snuffleupanus’s – “As always, as you wish. But you hide the bodies.”
Charile Rose’s – “For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever.”
Chris Mathews’s – “For the last time the babies your’s, I have proof/unwashed stain, and I don’t care if Rachael Maddows finds out it’s not his/hers/whatever!”
Soledad Obrien’s – “? Is this thing on? Hello? Hello?”
(also filed under misc.)
Chris Christie’s – “Uhm, yeah,… uhm, I might be a little bit… uhm. We need to talk. Call me.”
John Boehner’s – “Well! I just talked to that b*tch John Roberts and if the sh*t he told me is true, ohnonono you gonna wish you were from Kenya!”

onomo on January 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

“Stalkerville”

?
You gotta be s*****’ me!

“I wonder what the Secret Service thought of Foreman’s daily, unrequited correspondence.” – E.M.

Well, if they thought he was a “stalker”, he would have been audited by the IRS long ago. I applaud the MAN for his efforts. Y’all should try it some time.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I applaud the MAN for his efforts. Y’all should try it some time.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Do you mean become become part of the state run propoganda machine, or just worship at the feet of the master, or like said CNN reporter do both?
Please elaborate.