Re: White House raising the threshold for website petition responses
posted at 2:03 pm on January 16, 2013 by Allahpundit
Per MKH’s post, in the entire time the petition website has been online, has there been a single truly newsworthy White House response? There was a flash of buzz last week when the director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy replied to one of the umpteen “legalize it” petitions by acknowledging that we’re having a “national conversation about marijuana,” but so what? We are having a national conversation about marijuana. If merely recognizing that public opinion is divided on a hot-button issue is the newsiest thing to come out of this, the bar is so low that they might as well shut it down.
Usually it’s nothing but dumb gimmicks, like deporting Piers Morgan or building the Death Star, with the payoff some joyless snickering whenever the 25,000-signature threshold is crossed and the White House is forced to issue a politic, predictable, occasionally evasive reply. Again, what’s the point?
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained