Green Room

Pew: Majority of 18-to-29-year-olds don’t know which issue Roe v. Wade dealt with

posted at 3:09 pm on January 16, 2013 by

From the people who brought you Barack Obama’s second term:

Of the same group, when asked whether they want Roe overturned, 68 percent said no. Just five percent answered “don’t know.”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Well they did much better than guess factor, so they ALL get a ribbon.

Ted Torgerson on January 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Ask many of those same people if they know who Adolf Hitler was or what he did and you’d probably get just as high results of “I don’t know”.

Logus on January 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

In other unrelated news, Obama won the 18-29 vote by a 65%-35% margin over Romney.

sentinelrules on January 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The 53 million innocent helpless humans that have been slaughtered by it, certainly know what it’s about!

Don L on January 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Logus on January 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Hey I understand that Hillary got through law school and a Whitewater investigation saying “I don’t know,” and she might just be our first female Marxist president, so don’t knock it.

Don L on January 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

…we need another 20 Trillion for education so they still can’t learn anything!…no History…NOTHING!

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

How in the hell can you not know what Roe v. Wade is about?! And what’s going on with the other age groups, particularly seniors? I hope Alzheimer’s played a role in only 62% of the 65+ crowd being aware of it.

Doughboy on January 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

wtf, how does anyone not know that… i see 18-20 year olds talk about abortion all the time, how do they talk about abortion and not know roe v. wade??

From the people who brought you Barack Obama’s second term:

are you serious? plenty of older people voted for him too. did you forget that?

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

whoops i meant 18-29.

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

this is a good point. what do these results say about the education system?

(although now that i think about it, i can’t remember where i first learned about roe vs. wade. it might have been in a school or maybe not. i can’t remember.)

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

That faith in my generation that was restored by that guy with the non-self-aggrandizing cover letter? Gone.

Mr. Prodigy on January 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

are you serious? plenty of older people voted for him too. did you forget that?

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I believe AP is heart-attack serious. The 30-and-over crowd favored Romney 50%-48%, though I will admit the 30-44 crowd favored Obama 52%-45%.

Steve Eggleston on January 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Our great public education system at work. They don’t teach history.

SC.Charlie on January 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

This just destroyed the tiny shreds of faith I had left in public education.

MelonCollie on January 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don’t know what it is, but don’t dare change it! What kind of logic is that? Oh…leftists…never mind.

Mitoch55 on January 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The side effect of intentionally poor government education.

Of course if they taught the origins of abortion I’m sure they’d leave out the fact that Planned Parenthood was founded to carry out Margaret Sanger’s racist genocide campaign against blacks…

wildcat72 on January 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Tom’s Rule of Polls: The “Don’t Know” answers should always be doubled or tripled.

IOW, there are tons of people who don’t know the first thing about the question, but still have an opinion. And their vote counts as much as yours.

tom on January 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

All they need to know is that their glorious god-like leader doesn’t want it overturned either….

AUINSC on January 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I really have a lot of trouble believing this.

Fezzik on January 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

From the people who brought you Barack Obama’s second term:

are you serious? plenty of older people voted for him too. did you forget that?

Sachiko on January 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

At least the older people have the capacity to know better. The under-30 crowd are barely smart enough to tie their own shoes in the morning without their parent’s assistance.

Perfect agents for the Dems to complete their elimination of any and all dissenters.

Myron Falwell on January 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I can see this being accurate. I’m 23, and when I was in college, I co-founded a pro-life club. We held a panel discussion on abortion and Obamacare, and I began it with, “How many of you know what Roe v. Wade is?”

The majority of those in attendance belonged to the Newman (Catholic) Club, and all of their hands went up. Of the non-Newman students, there were far fewer hands.

Damian G. on January 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

It’s truly frightening how utterly STUPID the students of government schools are. They are stunningly ignorant.
Good money thrown into teacher unions who persist in advocating rather than educating.

Other than those homeschooled, kids are purposefully politicized rather than taught to think.

marybel on January 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

This wouldn’t be such a big deal if the majority of 18 to 29 year olds (of which I am one) didn’t vote Obama over social issues according to pollsters.

HitNRun on January 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Wade“, the duck from US Acres?

Why would he sue, or be sued by anyone? … and who the hang is “Roe“?

listens2glenn on January 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Talk to the young people from my generation. They’re idiots. The liberal ones who can spout off talking points go numb if you counter any one of their points. Then they parrot and repeat their talking point.

smoothsailing on January 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Most public school graduates think Roe v Wade has to do with crew teams

menacetosobriety on January 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Easy. It was an Olympic water sport competition.

Physics Geek on January 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I really have a lot of trouble believing this.

Fezzik on January 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Get over your disbelief. I can tell you right now that my generation is more ignorant on history than a hardcore liberal, because at least they memorize some events to parrot talking points about.

For a frightening amount of my peers, Roe V. Wade is “two different ways to cross a lake”. And unfortunately that’s not me making a bad joke.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The Greatest Generation.

steebo77 on January 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Logus on January 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Are you kidding? They’d all know he was, like, the first Republican.

Nick_Angel on January 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

For a frightening amount of my peers,

Roe V. Wade is “two different ways to cross a lake”

. And unfortunately that’s not me making a bad joke.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I’m stealing that.

Nick_Angel on January 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I’m stealing that.

Nick_Angel on January 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Imagine it uttered with a “I dunno” shrug and said by a young lady. Literally the voice of ignorance – you could literally tell just by listening to her speak that she was dense as lead. And when you asked her about anything serious you mentally went “Yep. I thought so.”

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

How in the hell can you not know what Roe v. Wade is about?!

Doughboy on January 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

If you think the anti-abortionists are bunch of spittle spewing fanatics, you may find other topics more interesting than the history of how abortion become legal in the United States.

And we should be honest that the 18-29yo’s were informed about Obama’s stance on abortion and gay marriage, and misinformed about Romney’s. That is they thought Romney was more extreme than he is on these issues. They voted on the basis of these issues and race. Yes, it was a dumb reason to vote for a socialist, but it’s how socialist win.

thuja on January 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

How could anyone…let alone those of us who were grown when this all went down, from say, 55 on up…not know what this is? Alas for our poor Republic!

Bob's Kid on January 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM

thuja on January 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This has exactly nothing at all to do with your twisted perception of people who oppose wanton murder for convenience.

This is about young people – who will soon enough hold the reigns of power – being willfully ignorant of an extremely important event in recent US history.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I just wanted to be clear that the “spittle spewing fanatics” is not my own view of pro-lifers. I was referring to the views of typical college undergrads. I agree with most people who are pro-life on too many issues to not become more nuanced in my own views.

thuja on January 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I really have a lot of trouble believing this.

Fezzik on January 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Not me. It’s really surprising how little people know of history prior to them being about 6 or 7 years old. I sometimes have fun with our college interns that think they know so much. The other problem is the massive social engineering that takes place starting in middle school. At least public schools have to stick somewhat to the subject of the class but all bets are off in college. I talked to one young lady that said that she had to take a math class over because the first professor spent the entire class talking about how woman are oppressed and that skyscrapers are peni$ shaped because men design them.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Roe v. Wade? Was that some sort of major kayaking case?

tommy71 on January 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

And once they do learn about it a good portion will be against overturning it as well.

I believe a growing majority of folks just want the issue to die. They don’t care one way or the other.

That’s how I read the situation.

ckoeber on January 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I take exception to Roe V. Wade being classified as history. For some it is a “not so recent event”.

gbear on January 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Probably. If it were overturned, much of our culture and liberals in particular might actually be start being inconvenienced by the results of being slutty to the point of insanity.

ckoeber on January 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

What’s happened is that the pro-life party has tried and failed to do much of anything to stop abortion at the state level for so long that they’ve worn people out on the debate. People wish they would just go away and let mothers murder their babies in peace. At this point nothing at all short of a SCOTUS challenge will stop legalized abortion.

MelonCollie on January 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Part of the explanation is the brainwashing occurring in public education. They do not bother to educate the masses about what Roe v Wade is; they just tell the students what to think about it. The reason they now avoid details is because science now clearly favors the right to life arguments.

kpguru on January 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM