Green Room

Sweet: Ford shows up GM at Detroit Auto Show with concept truck

posted at 9:03 pm on January 15, 2013 by

Oh, I do root for Ford. I even used to be a Chevy devotee in NASCAR, but no more, not since the bailouts:

I’m here in Detroit, at what had been, until this morning, the 2013 North American International Corvette Show. That’s not me dissing the 2014 Corvette, mind you. It’s fantastic. But by making Detroit all about America’s Sports Car, General Motors also dealt itself a shotgun blast to the foot.

Because everyone forgot about the 2014 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.

Those trucks are GM’s cash cows. They’re more important than the Corvette, because their mere existence helps enable GM to build Corvettes in the first place. Any other year, they are GM’s Detroit Auto Show news cycle. But the Stingray turned them into the backup singers whose names you don’t know.

And then Ford dropped a bomb with the unannounced Atlas concept truck this morning. What’s the Ford Atlas? To GM’s truck PR folks, it’s the elephant in the room, covered in 900-pound gorillas carrying Kate Upton, naked, in a sedan chair.

Video of the Ford Atlas sneak-peek at the link. Good lookin’ truck. One wonders if, by the time it comes out, we’ll be allowed to have gun racks.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I even used to be a Chevy devotee in NASCAR, but no more

Who’s your driver Mary K?

Could we maybe get one or two NASCAR “at the track” posts this year?
Go Trevor!

And yes that is a sweet looking truck!

eyesky on January 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

that is one badass truck. Ford totally pwned GM. I love it!

portlandon on January 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Looks like a modified Raptor with things on hydraulics moving about that will inevitably break when the warranty expires. I’ll stick with my Tacoma.

robblefarian on January 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Not really. That truck and the Corvette both look like trash thought up by some junior high aged boys. And quality of both also leaves much to be desired. The good Fords come from Ford of Europe.

The Corolla Furia is BY FAR the most important car of the show. Corolla is the most widely produced nameplate in the history of the automobile. A new one is a big event. The first new one since Akio Toyoda showed up is a BFD.

GMs are pieces of crap, and Toyota Tacoma is the best pickup. Full size pickups are driven 90% of the time by pathetic suburban cowboy posers and 10% of the time by contractors dependent on federal spending.

Oh yeah and NASCAR is for “race fans” who know nothing about cars or racing. Its racing for non-enthusiasts. It blows. The drivers are skilled, but the format blows. But this is the country where Bud, Coors, Miller, and other sewage are the most popular beers, where the top 40 music is 100% unskilled regurgitated drivel, and where reality tv are the most watched programs. ‘Merka!

Just clearing that up.

Daikokuco on January 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Meh. I still like the Raptor better. Was going to buy one after Romney got elected, but since he lost I’m hoarding my cash.

Me too. Always had GM. Never again.

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

No kidding, MKH. I was going to go with “It ain’t easy being douchey,” but you beat me to it.

Dukeboy01 on January 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

@mkh

LoL! You got spunk,lady.

portlandon on January 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My wife wants a Raptor. She loves them. She drives the Tacoma–will never part with it. I drive a 2LT Vert Camaro. Had deep reservations with going with a GM product, but couldn’t resist. So I compromised and bought a used one. A fantastic car, just a bit on the heavy side.

robblefarian on January 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Just clearing that up.

Daikokuco on January 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

You need to take a midol and go to bed little lady.

Just clearing that up for you.

RickB on January 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I like it.

But Ford disappointed me when they didn’t take the Ford Equator from concept to street back around 2000. Not the one that shows up in the google search, but a beefer meaner looking one that made the fair tour.

And when they discontinued the sporttrac…

cozmo on January 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have been driving pickups since 1978….the Tacoma is not a better truck than the Ford. They aren’t even in the same class. I have been driving 4×4 Tacoma’s since 2008 for work. The Tacoma is a Good work truck but I wouldn’t buy one for myself. I used to be a die hard Dodge Truck owner…Never again because of the bailout!

canesfan on January 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM

The Ford Foundation does worse things with their own money than the government did with the bailouts.

ninjapirate on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

No government ownership means autos America will buy.

Tater Salad on January 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

ninjapirate on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

…The Ford Foundation has had no control by the Ford family or Ford Motor Co. for a long time now…just like the Rockefeller Foundation.

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Did anyone see Mulally this morning on MSNBC?; some bimbo broadcaster was trying to get him to say the debt ceiling was a problem.

Tater Salad on January 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

…it’s so hard for me to be quiet!

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I’m right with ya sister. I used to bleed Chevy bowtie and will never own another modern GM product again. Bought a Ford F150 King Ranch and never looked back. Next purchase is a Boss 302.

Wyznowski on January 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Since Ford is now popular with anti-Statists because they didn’t take government bailouts, is the name “Atlas” (you know… like Atlas Shrugged) a nod to anti-Statist car buyers?

I’d totally buy an SUV called the Taggart!

Glenn Jericho on January 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Biggest mistake Ford has made recently was discontinuing the Ranger instead of introducing a new one with the Ecoboost 4-cylynder…

wildcat72 on January 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I respect and love you so much. Your parents, and Michelle Malkins just off the top of my head, are outstanding. You ladies had a good start and made the most of it.

arnold ziffel on January 15, 2013 at 10:59 PM

wildcat72 on January 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

…I work with Ford…I think you are right…

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

WANT… just because.

Yakko77 on January 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I don’t understand the hostility here to GM. Ford would have been in exactly the same boat had they not secured a massive credit agreement ahead of the crisis. GM were unable to renew their agreement after the crisis broke and credit markets dried up. The difference between the two giants was simply the timing of their agreements… other than that they are very similar firms and both have promising futures which is good for America. The truck looks great but it’s a concept and it will be interesting to see how much of the concept makes it into the new F150s when they hit showrooms in a few years. The Stingray is a production model and it looks like they fixed the Corvette’s biggest problem… crap interior. The C6 is an engineering marvel and it looks like this is continuing with the C7.

lexhamfox on January 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Remove 700 lbs?! No doubt. Maybe they could start with that ridiculously massive grill and those rims. Edsel had nothing on some of these modern grills. Blech. Last time I really liked Ford’s F Series revamp was in 1997. Now they’re trying to make everything tall and bulky – yet still meet fuel mileage goals?! The front end of that thing is flat. Flat does not make for good aerodynamics, even if you put louvers on the grill – which means something else that can break. And I cannot stand LED headlamps. Have that coming your way in the opposite lane or in your rearview mirror. Blinding. How does having these new Euro style headlamps make for safer driving when the other drivers have to avert their eyes while driving for fear of being blinded?

I’m not going to rag like Daik boy, but I am going to call it like I see it. I see a big bulky truck that doesn’t impress – and I liked Ford – until they decided to include gay partners in their insurance. I used to work at a Ford dealership in the 90′s and both my father and step-father are mechanics. My father is a NASCAR fan. I’ve owned a handful of Fords. But enough excuses.

And I’m not impressed with the new Corvette either… but then Corvettes never impressed me. Speed and horsepower never impressed me for wanting to own something that I could conceivably buy at some point (as compared to the Veyron which is just sick and a dream). Want to impress me? Show me any British sportscar pre 1973.

Logus on January 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Just clearing that up.

Daikokuco on January 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

You need to take a midol and go to bed little lady.

Just clearing that up for you.

RickB on January 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Thank you for saying it for me.

itsspideyman on January 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Me too. Always had GM. Never again.

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

But Ford offers Same-Sex partner benefits. So, we can’t buy Chrysler or GM because of the bailouts and no Fords because of their kowtowing to the gay agenda and nothing else ‘cuz they ain’t ‘merican.

So tell me, what do we drive?

Odysseus on January 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM

so much hillbilly resentment compressed into a two-line blog post!

sesquipedalian on January 16, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Daikokuco on January 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

and the liberty-lovin folks drink those “beers” while watching collectivist, centrally-planned, over-regulated sports designed to maximize ad revenues.

sesquipedalian on January 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Me too. Always had GM. Never again.

besser tot als rot on January 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I buy Ford because it’s American, it’s a great product, and I am not being forced to subsidize their cars, which you certainly can’t say about GM…

wildcat72 on January 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM

They could have released that truck as the new F250 and nobody would have even known the difference.

The new Corvette drowns that thing and bail-out or no bailout I’d rely on a Silverado long before I would a F-whatever-50.

Genuine on January 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM

ninjapirate on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

What someone does with their own money is not an issue of mine. Right now, Ford is making some very good automobiles (I’m not a truck guy; the Ford Focus ST is toward the top of my list of future promotion presents).

What the government (that is to say, my money & yours) did because Chevy & Mopar showed up hat in hand does concern me, however.

Sgt Steve on January 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM

But what’s all this crap about the Corvette being awesome?

Yes they are cool and fast, they’re also built about as well as a 1950s Trabant. A friend bought a brand new ZR1 and that thing never quite qualified for Lemon status but at that price point I think you have the right to expect a car to be capable of the basic stuff like starting up regularly, unlocking regularly, windows that go up and down, panels that don’t crack etc.

It was spectacularly craptastic and really would have been more useful as a barbecue for Paris muslems.

CorporatePiggy on January 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

It’s not good to cheer for Ford, because Ford is bad for America.
Better to buy Hyundai or Honda & have our money go to friedly Asian nations than to have it go to evil union thugs who are destroying America.

itsnotaboutme on January 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Speaking of which, while I like the look and idea of the truck, I am content to drive a simple sedan because I have a normal sized dick.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Daikokuco on January 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

While I thought your whole post was over the top, I have to admit that 90% of the people who drive trucks where I live just use them to commute to work, etc. I doubt if they’ve EVER put anything in the bed. I don’t think they’re cowboy posers. They’re just slaves to trendiness. First it was minivans. Then SUVs. Now it’s big honkin’ trucks (although SUVs are still popular).

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

GM delivered a blast to the foot with the Corvette show???

That’s nonsense. Corvette has always been the flagship and it’s performing at NAIAS exactly the mission it has always been partly designed for…to increase traffic in showrooms. Think about it…in order to see the Corvette, you have to walk past the new Cadillac ATS (NAIAS Car of the Year), the new Silverado, the new Sierra, the new Cadillac ELR, and others. They are making good cars today…most of the ones at the show are post bankruptcy from bumper to bumper. The vehicle teams have nothing to do with corporate mismanagement or bailouts or unions. They are just trying to design and build great cars….

There’s a 31 minute Car and Driver video on U-tube about the new corvette…it’s got amazing technology (which can be found in many of the other cars/trucks there) and deserves to be the star of the show.

Youngs98 on January 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

@theroguetomato

Sounds more like your dick size is closely related to your wallet size. SMALL.

If people can afford big trucks, why can’t they drive them?

I’ve never understood the truck envy. I have an F250, and a Toyota corolla. Both serve their purpose for me.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I grew up as a GM fan and still have a 82 Corvette. I started buying Ford trucks for work back in the early 90′s and still do because I have never had a major problem with them.

I will not buy a GM product again, not because of the bailout but because of the president of GM saying that gas prices should be higher. That gaff ended my wish for a new Corvette.

I don’t blame GM for the way the bailout was constructed, they just took the lame Obama option and I doubt they could have told him to pound sand.

As for the new Atlas I will have to see the full details and options, but for now it looks like they are pandering to the recreational consumer.

Kate Upton, hum might have to check that out.

plutorocks on January 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

That’s the best response to Daikokuco ever on HotAir!

GWB on January 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM

But what’s all this crap about the Corvette being awesome?

CorporatePiggy on January 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I toured the Corvette factory a few years ago, and all I saw was a lot of rednecks standing around doing not very much. At the Toyota factory (where the Camry is made) I saw a hive of activity and busy workers working hard.

rockmom on January 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM

If people can afford big trucks, why can’t they drive them?

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I would never argue otherwise. Trucks really aren’t that expensive, either, so I don’t get the “afford” part.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Do you ever put anything in the bed of your truck? If so, then that sets you apart from the majority of truck owners in my area. I can only assume they bought their trucks because they like trucks but for some unknown reason don’t like to use them as trucks, or because they’re compensating.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

So the decision by Bob Lutz to introduce their V8 generator/battery operated truck with exotic dancers didn’t work?

jediwebdude on January 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Sheesh, the dick store called…

Mary Katharine Ham on January 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Yet another example of why Mary Katharine is a National Treasure. Thank you MKH!!!

TXUS on January 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yes. I haul gravel for my driveway. I get a ton of wood pellets every month during the winter. I get loads of bark dust for the yard. I help people move when they need help. I tow a car trailer in the summer and fall. I tow a travel trailer during the summer.

portlandon on January 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

and other sewage

sesquipedalian on January 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

So tell me, what do we drive?

Odysseus on January 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Right now I have a Honda and BMW. Made in Alabama and South Carolina, respectively. Don’t know their corporate policies though.

besser tot als rot on January 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Trucks really aren’t that expensive, either, so I don’t get the “afford” part.

The Rogue Tomato on January 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Trucks *are* expensive compared to a lot of sedans – assuming you’re not buying the sedan with the Hemi in it. And, they are even more so on the used car side – trucks retain a lot of their value for a much longer time than most passenger cars.

Now, that might not be the case if you’re talking about those pretend pick-ups. You know, the ones that are essentially an El Camino with a higher floorboard? The ones that won’t hold a full sheet of plywood in the bed? ;)

GWB on January 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM

CLUE ALERT FOLLOWS–>Ford Motor Company received bail out monies.

Sorry for the bubble break.

Mr. Arrogant on January 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM