Round two: Jon Stewart versus Paul Krugman on the trillion-dollar coin
posted at 1:51 pm on January 15, 2013 by Allahpundit
Obligatory after yesterday’s post. Krugman should be quite happy with this, despite the mockery. The worst thing Stewart could have done to him would have been to puncture his “excessive self-regard” with a “Paul who?” routine. Instead he deemed Krugman’s criticism important enough to open the show with a reply, replete with a soothing acknowledgment that he’s a “fan.” Which is curious, because Stewart’s been known to call out nasty hyperpartisan left-wing blowhards from time to time in the past and Krugman is most assuredly a nasty hyperpartisan left-wing blowhard. (George Will all but told Krugman that to his face a few weeks ago.) His low point, as far as I can recall offhand, was when he blamed the right-wing “climate of hate” for the Gabby Giffords shooting that ended up having nothing to do with the right. But he’s got that Nobel and the liberal intelligentsia pays attention to him, so respect must be shown even when he’s pushing a banana-republic idea like a trillion-dollar coin.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation