Green Room

Re: When is marijuana OK

posted at 1:42 pm on January 14, 2013 by

AP, that’s a question that seems to be going around lately.  The Washington Post reported last week that it’s the etiquette stumper of the Beltway:

It was an awkward moment, quickly brushed aside by our collective desire to keep an agreeable evening relatively agreeable. But it led us to wonder — just what is the current etiquette on marijuana usage?

It turns out we’re not the only ones asking. At a time when smoking marijuana is increasingly mainstream, legal and socially acceptable — a recent Quinnipiac poll showed that 51 percent of respondents believe it should be decriminalized — when and where to inhale is a question flummoxing regular smokers, part-time partakers and nonsmokers alike.

After all, cannabis is now legal for recreational use in Colorado and Washington state and technically legal — although not yet legally available — for medicinal use right here in the District.

A new challenge is figuring out how we’re all supposed to navigate dinners, cocktail parties, barbecues and cross-generational family get-togethers as more people liken puffing on a joint to sipping a glass of wine, while others still consider it a malodorous habit that’s best done not at all, or at least far from our house.

Gee, remember when people used to get offended by people smoking tobacco? Even nearly 40 years ago, it became such an offensive practice that Steve Martin’s breakout standup-comedy routine included this:

Tobacco just doesn’t have the same libertarian cachet as marijuana, apparently.  I wonder how long that will last after Brown & Williamson start selling it in packs.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

When did Hot Air get taken over by a bunch of potheads. Most of you are clearly breaking the law and just don’t care because you want to get high. You’re exactly what Shump meant when he talked about juvenile and pathetic.

Losers.

I do exempt people with a legitimate medical disability and a prescription… unless they want to act like jerks.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Yes, HA is being taken over by potheads!

You sound to me like someone who’d get sexually excited by “Reefer Madness”.

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM

You’re a druggie and enjoy your fix. We get it. Go get high. Have fun. Don’t expect me to hire you or ever support you.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Weird. Nobody asked you to do either.

Jeddite on January 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Weird. Nobody asked you to do either.

Jeddite on January 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Nope, but you are asking for my tacit support to break the law. And that I won’t give.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Losers.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

lol…bless you skippy because we all were waiting for your approval.

Go play somewhere else…unless your an MD or a psychopharmacologist…you’re over your head.

BTW..I’m retired….take your job and shove it up your @ss.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM

There’s no reason to respect recreational drug users. They’re engaging in an illegal act just to try and alter their mental state. They have no self-control. Really sad when you think about it.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Most of you are clearly breaking the law and just don’t care

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM

And you’ve never driven over the speed limit?

Hypocrite.

Actually, recreational users have laudable self control, especially when they have fantastically successful lives. I know many.

John the Libertarian on January 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I have a prescription from my doctor, and I live in California. I obtain my meds legally as approved by my physician and the State.

I really don’t want or need your “respect” ya arrogant little pr!ck.

lol…you really need to have another drink skippy…relax.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

You’re God, right? I mean, you (think you) know that I use marijuana. How about alcohol – am I a drunk, too? A methhead? A junkie?

Get back to watching “Reefer Madness”, you freaky rageball.

Anti-Control on January 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

…..and that’s why this proposed Twenty-first Amendment is an abomination that should not be passed!

alchemist19 on January 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Do you say the same about drinking alcohol or ingesting nicotine in order to feel their intoxicating effects, too?

Anti-Control on January 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM

William F Buckley disagreed with you.

But then again, who is the voice of conservatism, compared to the Mighty Shump?

-giggle

-puff
-puff

JohnGalt23 on January 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

So William F. Buckley smoked pot and, therefore, anyone who opposes smoking pot is not conservative? Lovely argument that. FWIW, I can’t stand the “well, so-and-so supported this, so look how out of touch you are” arguments. The most commonly invoked one is Ronald Reagan. Sure, Buckley and Reagan were conservative standard-bearers, but that doesn’t mean every single thing they did, said, or thought is gospel that must be obeyed by every other conservative. We are still allowed to think for ourselves. This ain’t the Democrat Party, y’know. :)

Don’t spend to much time worrying about morons like shump..it’s probably just trolling….never seen it around here before.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Er… what? Do you actually read the comment threads here? You can disagree with me all you want. But to accuse me of being a troll is ridiculous. I comment on threads here at HotAir almost daily. Click here just to see those of my posts that Google has gotten around to indexing. You can think I’m dead wrong all you want. But I am most definitely not a troll. And, sorry, but I’m here to stay. :)

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

-_-

Bmore on January 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

njrob

Shump
….you’re wasting your time. You can’t reason a person out of a position that was not reasoned into in the first place.
Similar to the gun “debate” that is going on now. One side will always cling to emotion, half truths, and irrelevant comparisons.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

One side will always cling to emotion, half truths, and irrelevant comparisons.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Said Mimzey with no sense of irony whatsoever.

/guffaw

Jeddite on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Well, thank God I’m not looking to help anyone with their Courier-Journal paper route, or I’d really be out of luck…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM

No, we’re asking for your political support to help change an obviously flawed and irreparable law. You may feel free to stand opposed to us. JUst realize you are on the wrong side of history.

Oh, and we’re asking that you not throw the newspaper in the hedges…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

No. Just that far more respectable, notable, quotable, and proven conservatives have taken a position that pot-smokers (and now, by your own admission, alcohol and tobacco users) are not juvenile, self-absorbed drains upon society.

Of course, your logic, given your current admission would put you in favor not only of tobacco prohibition (get the Canadian smuggling routes up and running), but also of alcohol prohibition, a policy so bad that Congress and the States went to the trouble of amending the US Constitution to get rid of it.

Which is not only political suicide, but also demonstrably weapons-grade stupid.

Congratulations on flying your true colors, sir. Morons are not always quite so proud…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

the comment you just refere4nced was directed to ME as i had juswt posted to you. you may think you are all that and oh so reasonable but when you go on record that all pot smokers are irresponsible qand juvenile then you are the one with the perception problem. i use for medicinal reasons i am neither irresponsible or juvenile. you however come qacross as self righteous and in need of being knocked off that moral high horse of yours. i happen to be a married mother of 6 i am well adjusted i do not smoke around my kids my kids are honor rolls students who have never gotten so much as a detention and that includes my teenagers. i raise my family take care of my husband pay my bills and generally am highly respected by just about anyone who has ever met me. and i deeply resent people like you who ENJOY sitting in judgement over folks like me. i want to see you deal with the pain i live with 24 hours a day 7 days a week . pain that does not go away even with the narcotic drugs i have legal prescriptions for. they just are not strong enough to do the job so go take your moral superiority and shove it somewhere the sun doesnt shine.

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

sorry about the misspells i have long nails and sometimes when i type to fast i hit multiple keys at once. i usually catch them with spell check bbut i was distracted

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Well, I support a prohibition on marijuana, but I support it at the state level, not the federal level. Because I can find nothing in the US Constitution which grants the federal government the authority to issue a prohibition on it. However, states are well within their rights to prohibit its use, and I certainly believe they should do so. See, it is actually possible to be a constitutional conservative and still support the proper, legally correct way of prohibiting marijuana use. As I have pointed out many times, I am a conservative, not a libertarian. I support limited government. I do not support “do whatever you want” as a philosophy.

Having said that, I could discuss further the merits of prohibiting alcohol and the differences between it and marijuana (e.g. the possibility of drinking alcohol for something other than its intoxicating effects). I could also get into a discussion of tobacco and our current policies toward it.

However, since anyone who disagrees with you is apparently labeled a “moron,” as evidenced not only by this thread but virtually every other thread in which you post and display the same attitude, I choose to accept Mimzy’s advice and simply bow out of the discussion. Dead horse and all that.

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

That’s because moral superiority is the bad heroin to which they’re addicted. They just don’t see it as a character defect the way most people do.

John the Libertarian on January 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Can you point out the post where anyone criticized anyone in your position?

Just so I understand your situation…you’re taking maximum level narcotics and smoking high potency pot on a daily basis?
Do you drive?

What is your condition?
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I think I’ll take my own advice.
I’m sure my last post will bring out the angry accusations of..of….something.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

John the Libertarian on January 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM

By definition they don’t have self control. They’re going to a drug dealer to participate in an illegal activity, giving their money to what is likely a criminal syndicate, in order to get their fix. Where’s the self control? If it existed, it would be to refrain from engaging in such behavior.

And to equate it with speeding is a joke and a typical fallacious argument that we would expect of the left.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM

‘Bout what I expected…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well said.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Really? I go to my friend. Is she participating in an illegal activity? Not if you ask me, my doctor, and the State of California. Ask the same folks in Congress who ran up a $16 trillion debt… yeah, I guess she is participating in criminal activity. I’m fairly certain she isn’t part of a criminal syndicate. And if I really needed it (I don’t, as I’ve been fairly responsible with my money), she’d give it to me for free.

As I said, a friend.

And, let’s face it, more people are killed, injured, and suffer property damage from people speeding on the freeways, than from people smoking cannabis. Perhaps you’d be in favor of locking up speeders for as long as we lock up pot growers?

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Right, you’re all magically from California. And you refrained from smoking drugs till they became legal? That explains it all. Well at least that explains your leftist tendencies.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

she’d give it to me for free.

As I said, a friend.

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Last one. can’t let it by.

What she is doing and what you are doing is illegal.
No different than any other prescription drug.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

No there’s an intellectual response! /sarc
I hope that uneducated, anal-retentive, pseudo-intellectuals who rail against marijuana actually need it some day but can’t get it.
Have a painful journey.
Karl M. Magnus, MA, MAC, CCFC
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

What she is doing and what you are doing is illegal.
No different than any other prescription drug.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The State of California, the sovereign which properly holds authority over such decisions, and under whose jurisdiction we both exist, disagrees with you.

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

AKA “why they’re nuttier than a grove of almond trees and dumber than Ted Kennedy after consuming an entire 6-pack”.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Have a painful journey.
Karl M. Magnus, BS, DUM, ID10T
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

We have a boatload of alternatives to your ditch weed that don’t cause the brain damage you’ve obviously suffered. So sorry your curse won’t work, you soap-deprived hippie.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yes. I forgot that we are morally and intellectually inferior to the Garden State of New Jersey!!

-giggle

-Giggle!

-puff, puff

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Appealing to the bankrupt hard-left state of Californication as an authority on anything down to whether 2+2=4 is not going to convince anyone here, Galtian.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’ll put California’s finances up against those of DC, the sovereign to which you are appealing, any day of the week.

All we need is the authority to print our own money…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Oh, and we’re asking that you not throw the newspaper in the hedges…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Friggin’ Hilarious!

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Marijuana should be legalized. Its effects are no where near as detrimental as those of alcohol.

zoyclem on January 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

And the original prohibitionist is back.

So what do you think of your hero mimzey now melonhead? That’s exactly how you sound.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

You lying Galtian, quit putting words in my mouth. I know they’re equally as bad. I’m just going “WTF?” at you appealing to the authority of a state that is the biggest trainwreck in the Union.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

So I sound like someone more intelligent than you? Well thanks, but that’s not very hard.

Who the hell is mimzey anyhow?

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Having smoked more pot than any other human being on the planet during an extended period of time…

Mimzey on January 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

says the burned-out douchebag hypocrite…LMFAO

…LMFAO….You. Are. Hilarious!

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

First of all, they’re not equally bad. Sacto’s finances are a garden party, compared to DC’s.

Second, were it not for the authority that DC has claimed for itself, there would be no question as to the legality of growing and consuming cannabis in the state of CA. It is you, by claiming that what I and my friend are doing is criminal, who are turning to the profligate Big Brother in DC, to keep you safe from the heathen devil-weed cannabis.

Which you are free to do. Just please drop any pretense of being against “big government” if you choose to do so. Hypocrisy is kind of unbecoming…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Who the hell is mimzey anyhow?

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Jumped in cold to another debate we don’t understand…did we?

I’d suggest you read back through the thread…and find out.

I’m assuming you’re related…you obviously share the same level of genius.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Actually d-bag I am from California…and no..I’ve used pot on and off since I was about 17.

How is wanting less government control on matters that shouldn’t concern them “leftist” exactly.

Please take your time and explain….I know it hurts your pointy little head when you try to think.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

authority of a state that is the biggest trainwreck in the Union.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Oh, and clearly you haven’t read the Illinois newspapers…

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

But I am most definitely not a troll. And, sorry, but I’m here to stay.

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

lol…good to hear…we could use the laugh’s…and your incoherence on the issue only helps make my point.

Welcome!

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Name ONE, woofer or STFU.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Can you point out the post where anyone criticized anyone in your position?

Do you drive?

What is your condition?
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

i have 4 ruptured disks in my back and neck that have done permannent nerve damage to my spinal column i have a heriated disk in my neck that pinches off the flow of blood to my brain , i also have lupus , multiple arthrologies and now am being treated for fibromyalgia as well i take 13 different medications no i do not drive and no i dont spend all day smoking i rely on my dr perscribed narcotics for the most part and only smoke if it gets to the point of me being unable to walk or stand because of the pain and even then i wont smoke if i am alone in the house or if my husband isnt home and the kids are . there have been multiple times when i have to be carried to the bathroom because it is so bad . this is why people like shump who make broad sweeping statements that ALL smokers are irresponsible and juvenile piss me off. i do what i have to just to survive and i deeply resent the morally superior folks who criticize me for doing so. when your whole world revolves around pain in it is now way to live i prefer my whole life to revolve around my family and not my pain so who are you or anyone else to criticize the choices i must make to be able to actually live instead of being stuck in a bed with no life at all?

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM