Green Room

Re: When is marijuana OK

posted at 1:42 pm on January 14, 2013 by

AP, that’s a question that seems to be going around lately.  The Washington Post reported last week that it’s the etiquette stumper of the Beltway:

It was an awkward moment, quickly brushed aside by our collective desire to keep an agreeable evening relatively agreeable. But it led us to wonder — just what is the current etiquette on marijuana usage?

It turns out we’re not the only ones asking. At a time when smoking marijuana is increasingly mainstream, legal and socially acceptable — a recent Quinnipiac poll showed that 51 percent of respondents believe it should be decriminalized — when and where to inhale is a question flummoxing regular smokers, part-time partakers and nonsmokers alike.

After all, cannabis is now legal for recreational use in Colorado and Washington state and technically legal — although not yet legally available — for medicinal use right here in the District.

A new challenge is figuring out how we’re all supposed to navigate dinners, cocktail parties, barbecues and cross-generational family get-togethers as more people liken puffing on a joint to sipping a glass of wine, while others still consider it a malodorous habit that’s best done not at all, or at least far from our house.

Gee, remember when people used to get offended by people smoking tobacco? Even nearly 40 years ago, it became such an offensive practice that Steve Martin’s breakout standup-comedy routine included this:

Tobacco just doesn’t have the same libertarian cachet as marijuana, apparently.  I wonder how long that will last after Brown & Williamson start selling it in packs.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I can’t believe this even needs to be asked. Unlike the dubious terrors of second hand smoke there is definitely something called a contact high. If the host doesn’t pull out the weed first, or ask if anybody has any, only an idiot would think it’s okay to smoke there.

If you go to a dinner party where no alcohol is served do you whip out your flask? No.

Rocks on January 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

COMING SOON FROM WaPo: “When is it okay to drop trou and honk out a dirtsnake on the table at Chili’s?”

SHEESH.

Jeddite on January 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Rocks on January 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

No, for you…Here, since you brought it up…

right2bright on January 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

No, for you…Here, since you brought it up…

right2bright on January 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Harrumph!

Rocks on January 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think pot should only be smoked to get the munchies after nausea from chemotherapy, for treatment of glaucoma (or maybe that’s the biggest urban myth out there?!) or for artistic inspiration, like a jazz musician, interior decorator, or a blogger beta-male with cats seeking inspiration for a post on the effect of the Fed’s monetary policy on the decisions of the big banks bailed out with TARP versus smaller, local banks. Or, of course, for computer programmers, who can’t work without it.

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

What if you’re going to a Pink Floyd laser show, man?

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

What if you’re going to a Pink Floyd laser show, man?

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Artistic inspiration exception.

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Vaporizers.

No secondhand smoke whatsoever. No odor at all. No offense to anyone around you – except to maybe their oh-so delicate sensibilities that is.

Works for tobacco. Works for Marihoochie too.

Watch. You’ll see. Vapes will quash this debate post haste.

SD Tom on January 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Rocks on January 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

BYOB must be a foreign concept to you.

But just so you know – been around for a millennia or three – give or take.

So, the correct answer is a resounding: Yes.

SD Tom on January 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Artistic inspiration appreciation exception.

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

All the pot in Humboldt county won’t inspire any art from me.

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

SD Tom on January 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Not when the price difference is $500-$700 compared to $1 for rolling papers.

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

When is marijuana OK

When your work is done…and you want to relax.

When you’re battling cancer and the chemo makes you nauseous.

When Prescribed by an MD for chronic pain, migranes or glaucoma

When you have insomnia.

For the cancer fighting agents found in the canaboids.

Why?

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Brown & Williamson, Phillip Morris/Altria, RJR Nabisco, and all of the existing tobacco companies are the prefect sales channels for recreative marijuana…They are used to dealing with government regulations, BATF, and such. Marijuana will be one of the many new ‘revenue’ streams.

Just say yes to supporting Washington’s spending addiction.

Naturally I look forward to the lawsuits by the states that will be filed for lieing to users that marijuana use is addictive. Some one queue up Mike Cerisi or some other favored democrat lawyer/firm to file the lucrative suit.

abnormal_1 on January 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Not when the price difference is $500-$700 compared to $1 for rolling papers.

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

They’ve come way down.

See ebay.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

What if you’re going to a Pink Floyd laser show, man?

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My first rock concert was Yes on the Big Generator tour. I ended up feeling ill from the smoke.

22044 on January 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Before voting on it for medical use here in MA I did some research and found it’s alleged to be helpful for glaucoma, high blood pressure and anxiety. I suffer from the first two and have periodic bouts of the other. Tuesday I’m going for my annual check-up so I plan to ask my doc what he thinks about it. Not that I could/would use it. My employer does random drug testing and has said they would not allow it for medical purposes or if it became legal. I think that will be how the whole issue is addressed anyway. Employers will just say that they are “Weed” free and continue to test potential employees for it.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM

abnormal_1 on January 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I don’t see how they would have standing. It’s illegal in most states so it’s addictive potential is not a factor.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not when the price difference is $500-$700 compared to $1 for rolling papers.

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

$500-$700? Seriously?

I’d say “you’re high” – but obviously not. Just woefully uninformed. But don’t let that stop your little diatribe.

Personal pocket size vaporizers come in many varying designs and prices.

Try $20-$150 for the most popular vapes … and they last for years. In fact, the prices have dropped significantly the last 6 months or so.

Watch those prices plummet even more once the ‘novelty’ of ‘newness’ and legalization wears off – and legalization multiplies across the country every election year for the foreseeable future. Much like new appliances and other electronic ‘gadgets’. VCR’s and Microwave ovens cost thousands of dollars at first. Now one is all but extinct – replaced by another appliance that cost thousands of dollars at first and is less than $50 now – and the other can do everything but mix the ingredients and serve your food to your plate – for less than a hundred fifty bucks.

I suspect that most businesses, if not all, will have to ban the ‘smoking’ in order to placate most of their customer base. The reprobate politicians will ban it for sure regardless. But they won’t ban the ‘vaping’. There’s no cause to and you can eschew a good portion of your customer base for only so long before you haven’t got a business to run anymore. Vape cigarettes have been extremely successful. Bars and restaurants are filled with vapers – since the smoking is outlawed.

The same will happen here too. The non-debate debate is over before it even starts. And now you’re armed with fact, too.

The More You Know

SD Tom on January 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Not around me or my child. If you smoke it by me or my child, one of us is leaving. Probably you, right now. You will probably get more and more rights, though, so eventually it will be me and my child.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM

22044 on January 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM

lol…that was me…sorry.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM

wouldn’t smoke it around my own child…let alone yours, skippy.

but damn yer tuff….what with yer little strawman and all.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

wouldn’t smoke it around my own child…let alone yours, skippy.

but damn yer tuff….what with yer little strawman and all.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Not intended to be tough. It is what it is. If someone is smoking around me, or my child, we will either leave or you will. Why so defensive?

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

because it’s a BS argument….

I don’t want you drinking around my kid

I don’t want you smoking cigs around my kid

I don’t want you on heavy meds around my kid

I don’t want you running around naked near my kid (you want to see someone get tough…try that one)

now what?

Why do you single out pot? It’s ridiculous…and means nothing.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

If it’s such a medical miracle, put it in pill form and script it to patients who need it. Otherwise, admit that pot has no medicinal value other than to get the patient “high” to temporarily relieve pain.

As for parties- even “right there in the District”, I say that’s fine, but you have to buy all your weed after 9pm in the Brentwood section of DC and everyone in your party must be unarmed.

BKeyser on January 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

because it’s a BS argument….

I don’t want you drinking around my kid

I don’t want you smoking cigs around my kid

I don’t want you on heavy meds around my kid

now what?

Why do you single out pot? It’s ridiculous…and means nothing.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

The question wasn’t “when is alcohol ok?” or “when is running around naked ok?” The post is “Re: When is marijuana OK?”

I would be ok with someone drinking around my kid, unless they were stupid fall down drunk. Everything else on your list, yep, same response.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Already done in California…most, however, prefer to smoke it.

BKeyser on January 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

My MD would disagree.

Where did you get your Medical Degree…not sure you mentioned it?

;-)

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

again…wtf does your kid have to do with it??

You infer that pot-smokers want to get your kid high for some reason.

Also..When someone’s doing something I don’t like…I take my kid by the hand and walk away…it’s generally a better strategy than
going to blows – and maiming someone in front of my daughter.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Never have understood why folks choose to smoke it. I guess they just like smoking. No…..that can’t be right………….brownies anyone?

Bmore on January 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Personally I just love the government managing all my affairs.

Bmore on January 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

again…wtf does your kid have to do with it??

You infer that pot-smokers want to get your kid high for some reason.

going to blows – and maiming someone in front of my daughter.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

What in the world are you talking about?

I am answering the question “When is marijuana OK?”

My answer is: It is not ok around me or my kid. I don’t give a flip about you. You do what you want.

If your smoke is around me or my kid, and we are out in public, I will probably ask the server, owner of the business, etc., to have you leave. If they don’t, or you refuse, we’ll leave. No going to blows. If we are in a public park, we’ll leave, but might complain to the city. If we are at someone’s house, I would mention it to the owner, and if they don’t want you smoking, they will ask you to leave. If they are ok with it, we will leave.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

There are these things called edibles. No smoking involved.

Nowadays, at a party or concert, half the people could be high without you even smelling a joint.

MichaelGabriel on January 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Personally I just love the government managing all my affairs.

Bmore on January 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

and that’s the part that pisses me off the most…in fact…it brings out the closeted libertarian in me

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You infer that pot-smokers want to get your kid high for some reason.
Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I don’t see how I inferred this. If someone is smoking and my child is inhaling it, won’t he get high? He is 19 months old, so I bet not much smoke in his little lungs could be bad bad bad.

The intention of the smoker has nothing to do with it. The result of the smoke in my child’s lungs is what I was focusing on.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Whatever.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I am curious about one aspect of all this reefer madness. If I get high in a state where it is legal and then apply for a job in a state where it is not. Do I still get the job even though I haven’t consumed any in the state where it is not legal. And….does it affect my owning guns? Not that I own any guns…….but if I did………would I still be able to partake in the consumption of pot and own guns at the same time. Or would it be a state thingy?

Bmore on January 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Think whatever you want about pot….just stop hiding behind your kid.

and btw…NOBODY wants to get your kid high.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You really think if we were in a restaurant in Colorado and you were smoking, and I complained, the server wouldn’t tell you to either quit or leave?

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Think whatever you want about pot….just stop hiding behind your kid.

and btw…NOBODY wants to get your kid high.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hey. Dipshit. You missed this part.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

cuz 1,000′s of people are smoking pot in colorado restaurants?

Who knew?

Stawman.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Hey. Dipshit. You missed this part.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Classy…

and no, actually I didn’t.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Stupidity annoys me. Sorry.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Stupidity annoys me. Sorry.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

And your genius just brightens my day sweetheart.

that’s where we differ.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Re: When is marijuana OK

…when used in the White House

KOOLAID2 on January 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

SD Tom on January 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I never thought about a little one before. The Valcanoes are the ones I’ve seen, and vaporizers of that nature do go for $500-$700

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I’m not hiding behind anyone. I am telling you how I would handle someone smoking marijuana around me. The blog asked a question, and I answered it. Why do you have your panties in a twist because I won’t stay around someone who is smoking marijuana?

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Whatever.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Maybe you don’t realize that he is 1 1/2, so if I am there, and I’m not at work, he is with me.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Honestly flummoxed here. I think I won’t interact with you anymore, Tim_CA, but if anyone else comes around and wants to discuss, that would be great.

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I think he’s taking umbrage at the “One of us is leaving. Probably you, right now“. That does sound like an attempt at intimidation.

Flange on January 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

cptacek on January 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Some free advice….don’t take your 1 1/2 year old to where people are smoking pot.

problem solved.

(no one is seeking out parents with 1 1/2 year olds to get “high” beside).

Believe it or not…pot users aren’t the evil baby-killers people like you seem to believe they are.

Tim_CA on January 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM