Green Room

Re: When is marijuana OK

posted at 1:42 pm on January 14, 2013 by

AP, that’s a question that seems to be going around lately.  The Washington Post reported last week that it’s the etiquette stumper of the Beltway:

It was an awkward moment, quickly brushed aside by our collective desire to keep an agreeable evening relatively agreeable. But it led us to wonder — just what is the current etiquette on marijuana usage?

It turns out we’re not the only ones asking. At a time when smoking marijuana is increasingly mainstream, legal and socially acceptable — a recent Quinnipiac poll showed that 51 percent of respondents believe it should be decriminalized — when and where to inhale is a question flummoxing regular smokers, part-time partakers and nonsmokers alike.

After all, cannabis is now legal for recreational use in Colorado and Washington state and technically legal — although not yet legally available — for medicinal use right here in the District.

A new challenge is figuring out how we’re all supposed to navigate dinners, cocktail parties, barbecues and cross-generational family get-togethers as more people liken puffing on a joint to sipping a glass of wine, while others still consider it a malodorous habit that’s best done not at all, or at least far from our house.

Gee, remember when people used to get offended by people smoking tobacco? Even nearly 40 years ago, it became such an offensive practice that Steve Martin’s breakout standup-comedy routine included this:

Tobacco just doesn’t have the same libertarian cachet as marijuana, apparently.  I wonder how long that will last after Brown & Williamson start selling it in packs.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

We have a boatload of alternatives to your ditch weed that don’t cause the brain damage you’ve obviously suffered.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Please provide links to said “brain damage”. My physician would be fascinated I’m sure…seeing as he gave me the prescription.

Where did you go to Medical School by the way?

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes. I forgot that we are morally and intellectually inferior to the Garden State of New Jersey!!

-giggle

-Giggle!

-puff, puff

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

NJ is a hell on its own, but at least we elected a governor that’s trying to limit our destructive economic tendencies, even if he is a squish, compared to you loons that are going whole hog on European Socialism including the coming bankruptcy.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

… you soap-deprived hippie.

MelonCollie on January 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I’m sure that you must mean “soap” in the THC sense, eh?
What? You don’t know what “soap” is?
Never Mind. ROTFLMAO
Yet another illiterate blowhard weighs in.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

The State of California, the sovereign which properly holds authority over such decisions, and under whose jurisdiction we both exist, disagrees with you.

JohnGalt23 on January 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I said I was going to bow out but I had to reply to this because, as much as it pains me to do so, I am going to have to agree with you on this point.

The State of California has made marijuana legal for recreational use. I strongly, deeply disagree with that decision. I would have opposed it had I lived there. But they did it. And until such time as it can be changed, their decision should be respected.

As I said upstream, I can find nothing in the US Constitution which gives the federal government the authority to prohibit marijuana. So I consider their prohibition unconstitutional, and don’t believe you are doing anything illegal.

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Actually d-bag I am from California…and no..I’ve used pot on and off since I was about 17.

How is wanting less government control on matters that shouldn’t concern them “leftist” exactly.

Please take your time and explain….I know it hurts your pointy little head when you try to think.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

You’re a pothead. It’s your issue. You’ve been smoking up all your life. You don’t give a shit about the side effects, the drugged state you put yourself in, or that you’ve supported an illegal drug habit and bought drugs that came from narco-terrorists. You’re all for ‘liberty’ so that makes it okay.

Pathetic.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Goodness gracious. Bless you for living through pain like that.

cptacek on January 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

katee….this douchebag is a flame-throwing troll..It’s best not to feed it.

Thank the good Lord that you found relief through an understanding physician….and don’t worry about mimzey, you don’t owe it ANY expanation…it’s contradicted itself so many times on this thread it’s absurd.

It’s just looking for a fight….and it has no empathy for your condition.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I thought Washington and Colorado were the only ones that made recreational use legal.

cptacek on January 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

cptacek on January 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Crap. Were they? I could have sworn California was. But maybe I just thought it sounded like something California would do. :) Well, if not, then nevermind… :)

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You’re a pothead.

And you’re an uninformed idiot.
Now what?

It’s your issue. You’ve been smoking up all your life.

On and off since about age 17 actually.

You don’t give a shit about the side effects

Please cite said “side effects” and explain how they outweigh the benefits.

Actually amigo…I pruchase my meds at a State approved dispensary…and before that from a local grower named “Ken”…but don’t let that stop you from making the whole “narco-Terrorist” argument.

You’re all for ‘liberty’ so that makes it okay.

Indeed…along with state law and an MD script.

Pathetic.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Indeed you are my friend.

Thanks for playing.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Ha!

Bmore on January 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

There’s no reason to respect recreational drug users. They’re engaging in an illegal act just to try and alter their mental state. They have no self-control. Really sad when you think about it.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Yep, THAT is why people drink alcohol, which is definitely a drug people use to try to alter their mental state.

We should make sure it stays illegal forever.

What? Alcohol isn’t a drug? It doesn’t alter your mental state? Or you think it isn’t used recreationally?

Since all of those are clearly true, AND those are your reasons for making pot illegal; the only conclusion I can draw is you want to make alcohol consumption illegal as well.

gekkobear on January 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The State of California has made marijuana legal for recreational use.

Shump on January 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

False.

You must have a doctor’s recommendation and make your purchase legally…generally through a state-run dispensary.

sorry.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM

state-run sb state-

licensed

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

We should make sure it stays illegal forever.

gekkobear on January 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And alcohol intoxication is a crime if in public. The difference with alcohol and marijuana is that there’s such a think as moderation with drinking to prevent inebriation. There’s no such thing with marijuana. You also cannot get a “contact high” by being around others drinking. Not so with marijuana.

Lastly, the horse has already left the bar when it comes to alcohol. The disgusting Kennedy family wouldn’t exist without their bootlegging. Just think of how many corrupt families and drug kingpins you’re supporting with your habit.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

the horse has already left the barn*

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

And alcohol intoxication is a crime if in public.

False.

Alcohol intoxication over a state-established blood-alcohol limit in public is a crime.

drink one beer and you’re “intoxicated” to some extent

Laugably false…in fact you actually build up a tolerance to the effects of THC…not so with alcohol. There is also no evidence of “physical addiction” with pot….not so with alcohol.

Fail.

Easy fix.
Stay away from people smoking pot.

That’s what I do with obnoxious drunks.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Laugahable strawman.

Again….thanks for playing.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Jersey Shore was apparently a documentary.

Who knew?

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Laugahable strawman.

Again….thanks for playing.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

We’ve already gone over the fact that you’ve spent a large part of your life in a drug-induced fog. There’s no reason to debate with someone like you because your drug addled mind is incapable of using reason when it comes to your next fix. You want your drugs and you’ve found a legal, if immoral way to get them. Congrats. But I don’t care about your opinion on this issue. And I will vote against it every chance I get.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

We have?…must have missed that.

yet this drug-addled mind continues to make you chase your tail and tie youself in knots while simultaneously exposing your lies…

odd that.

Thats legally prescribed meds by an MD amigo, again, please remind me where YOU obtained your medical degree…I’ve been waiting for an answer?

But I don’t care about your opinion on this issue.

Yet here you are!

And I will vote against it every chance I get.

njrob on January 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

And God Bless You my friend, this is still America…and that’s your right.

And again…Thanks for playing.

Tim_CA on January 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

This is still going??

So many potheads are so silly. They take on the demeanor of Crusaders.
Not much different than Eco-Greenies going on and on about saving a snail or cutting a tree.
It’s almost like pot is so important to them that at some level it defines part or their personality, so they become irrationally angry if someone points out that it’s just cheap buzz….oh wait. Did I say cheap? some of these suckers for escapism pay hundreds of dollars for a handful and call it an expression of freedom.
Straight up dumb.
Just sayin’..no need to get worked up and tighten your headband.

Mimzey on January 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i have 4 ruptured disks in my back and neck that have done permannent nerve damage to my spinal column i have a heriated disk in my neck that pinches off the flow of blood to my brain , i also have lupus , multiple arthrologies and now am being treated for fibromyalgia as well i take 13 different medications no i do not drive and no i dont spend all day smoking i rely on my dr perscribed narcotics for the most part and only smoke if it gets to the point of me being unable to walk or stand because of the pain and even then i wont smoke if i am alone in the house or if my husband isnt home and the kids are . there have been multiple times when i have to be carried to the bathroom because it is so bad . this is why people like shump who make broad sweeping statements that ALL smokers are irresponsible and juvenile piss me off. i do what i have to just to survive and i deeply resent the morally superior folks who criticize me for doing so. when your whole world revolves around pain in it is now way to live i prefer my whole life to revolve around my family and not my pain so who are you or anyone else to criticize the choices i must make to be able to actually live instead of being stuck in a bed with no life at all?

katee bayer on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.
You’re the exception to the normal pot smoker. Only a brainwashed fool would deny that.
The potheads in this thread have nothing in common with your situation, though, like Obama today dragging out children to sell castrating the Second Amendment, they will most likely use your condition in an apples to oranges rationalization.
Again, good luck to you. Despite all the problems in your life, you respond with no anger, unlike the stoners in the thread who get their asses so tight that when they fart only dogs can hear it whenever anyone disagrees with them.
Just like the lefties.