Green Room

Pew global survey: The most anti-American country in the world is…

posted at 12:47 pm on January 12, 2013 by

If you look only at the topline question it’s a tie between Jordan and Pakistan. But don’t look only at the topline question. Click around in the left sidebar at the link and watch how some of the numbers change as you get into specifics — opinions of American democracy, American business, etc. When you get to American technology and scientific advances, even a near-majority of Pakistanis (47/27) have a favorable opinion. There’s only one country where anti-Americans outnumber pro-Americans on every single question. Here’s a hint: We’re duty bound by treaty to come to their defense if they’re attacked.

While you’re there, compare the numbers for “American ideas and customs” to the numbers for “American music, movies, and television.” Hmmm.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t we give them tons of money each year in foreign aid?

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Where’s Canada?

Rose on January 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

The most anti-American country in the world is…

Before I read this. Let me make a leftist guess.

America

Bmore on January 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

America

Bmore on January 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

My thoughts exactly, B.

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

14% of Americans view America unfavorably. That’s over 45 million people. I wonder where Barry’s other 15 million votes came from.

Kataklysmic on January 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Since that sucks to look at on a tablet (and I’m not particularly motivated to crawl through it anyway) how about just giving us the answer…

deepdiver on January 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

With the recent election, I assumed it would be America herself.

ButterflyDragon on January 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Turkey?

BigGator5 on January 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Geez, France is so inept it can’t even win at hating America.

Rocks on January 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s Turkey. Perhaps we should be kicking them out of NATO.

Illinidiva on January 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Turkey would have been my guess so obviously, not surprised by that being the answer.

deepdiver on January 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Looks like a good chart to use for determining the allocation of Green Cards.

MichaelGabriel on January 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I was just in Australia for 2 weeks in Nov 2012. The trip was a vacation with 3 days in Sydney, and 5 days in Cairns for the solar eclipse and some reef time. I also spent a couple days in Townsville and a few smaller towns.
I traveled solo and did not rent a car. A couple of in country air flights, 4 bus rides totaling 20 hrs, a dozen taxis, and a few airport shuttle rides. I bet I walked at least 50 miles… More than 10 in Sydney for sure.
Half of my rooms were in hostels (I always got a room as opposed to a bed in a dorm though). 3 nights were in a B&B and 1 night was in a 4 star. The first night in Cairns I napped on a park bench instead of getting a room because none were available due to the eclipse. Plus my eclipse cruse sailed at 3am so it was all good.
Anyway, because of the way I did this trip I met and conversed with a lot of people (that was one of the goals of the trip). I was told by a few Australians that they love Americans. One guy even made a point to stress that Australian women find the American male voice attractive… Hollyweird influenced?
I met people from all over the world while there (just a guess but I‘d say that I had conversations with people from 25-30 different countries). I had lunch with one of the bus drivers, became FB friends with 2 Sydneyites on the eclipse cruse, and had extended conversations with young to old, male & female, bar maids (after work at the hostel), businessmen, active and retired Au military…
Australia is very friendly to Americans… It is expensive but friendly. But almost to a person, I received a smile once they knew I was American. One retired guy gave me a 4 hour walking tour of Cairns just because he had nothing else to do that day…
Only 2 of the people I talked to there expressed any negativity towards US, and that was mild displeasure at the most.
I going to call BS on the charts based on my recent up-close visit. The Fav/Unfav 03’ and 08’ show a decline in Fav to 46% and an increase in Unfav to 48%. Totally not what I saw in November.

RalphyBoy on January 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

It’s Turkey. Perhaps we should be kicking them out of NATO.

Illinidiva on January 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

They never should have been allowed into NATO in the first place.

wildcat72 on January 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

But… but… it’s the “model Islamic democracy”!

LOL.

Hayabusa on January 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It’s Turkey. Perhaps we should be kicking them out of NATO.

Illinidiva on January 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Good but not far enough. We should be walking out of NATO, and the last words before we leave the building for the last time should be “protect your own hides for once, pu$$ies”.

MelonCollie on January 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Looks like a good chart to use for determining the allocation of Green Cards.

MichaelGabriel on January 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Throw in literacy percentages and you’ve sold me.

MelonCollie on January 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Americans trail eight other countries in “confidence in the U.S. president”.

What do they know that we don’t know?

eyesky on January 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

It’s kind of frightening that only 80% of Americans like America, and amusing that the Italians and Japanese like us almost as much as we like ourselves.

SWalker on January 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

SWalker on January 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

And that 20% are the most spoiled, self centered, and pampered pricks in the US. Ignorant monkeys tend not to understand just how good they have it.

NotCoach on January 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I want a divorce from the Americans that don’t like America.

trigon on January 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

RalphyBoy on January 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’ve had similar experiences, but have chalked up the lack of anti-Americanism to two factors, 1. most people don’t go out of their way to voice their displeasure of a nation to one of it’s citizens and 2. there are some people you talked to who are anti-American and didn’t have the courage to tell you to your face.

Flange on January 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

What is it with the Germans and Obama? They have the highest confidence level for him at 86%.

But only a 52% favorable view of the US and only 23% think it’s good that American “ideas and customs” are spreading to Germany.

SteveMG on January 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I suppose New York and California, despite their sizes, don’t count as real countries. I would be the majority in both of those states hate America with a passion.

iconoclast on January 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It’s Turkey. Perhaps we should be kicking them out of NATO.

Illinidiva on January 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

They should stay in NATO.

We should leave.

Rebar on January 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

The most anti-American country in the world is…

Before I read this. Let me make a leftist guess.

America

Bmore on January 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Ah, honesty, brilliance and devastation, all combined in the only possible answer.

Don L on January 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

SteveMG on January 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Maybe it’s because of that WWI defeat hangover and they sense the Obama hates the USA with them?

Don L on January 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

SteveMG on January 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I”m assuming it has to do with their hate speech laws over there. How would you like to be facing 5 years in prison if your answer could have been thought of as racist?

ButterflyDragon on January 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Spent a week in Istanbul a couple years ago and I can assure you, the Turks loved us as Americans. There was absolutely no negative vibes. Just the opposite.

They don’t love their own government, though.

MaxMBJ on January 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Where’s Canada?

Rose on January 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Up here.

Alberta_Patriot on January 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I want a divorce from the Americans that don’t like America.

trigon on January 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I have a solution.

arik1969 on January 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You know, we nuked Japan almost 70 years ago, and they are about the most positive ally we have, if this poll is any indication.

Second look at nuking the Middle East?

arik1969 on January 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

You don’t like America. Then effyou.

davidk on January 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I wonder where Barry’s other 15 million votes came from.

Kataklysmic on January 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

People who still think they’re voting for the party of JFK (or Bill Clinton for that matter).

Odysseus on January 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Hm.

So we’re hated by the countries where the women would have to burn up a half-dozen Bic razors if they wanted to wear a bikini?

Big whoop and pass the bhurkas.

M240H on January 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Does the U.S. consider your country’s interests?

China 51% (Second best behind Brazil).

I guess the U.S., giving up all that technology, opening all those oil fields up in Iraq, guarding the oil lanes using billions upon billions of tax dollars, and finding those copper mines in Afghanistan really left a positive impression to the Chinese on those questions.

LOL!

William Eaton on January 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Second look at nuking the Middle East?

arik1969 on January 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Excellent analysis! It would have been the swiftest route to victory; too bad Americans have been hoodwinked into thinking nuclear weapons don’t serve any morally good purpose.

TXJenny on January 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Colombia. The District of.

The Mega Independent on January 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Kataklysmic on January 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Graveyards all around the country.

tdpwells on January 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Flange on January 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Can’t say as I disagree with you in general… But there was a very high percentage of smiles and interest in talking to me after they knew I’m an American. Perhaps those smiles were surprise at meeting an American walking around solo… Not many of US over there.

I am just questioning the below 50% approval, above 50% disapproval result on the chart… They may answer that way to a questioner, or be lead that way… but in no way was that negativity felt by me.

RalphyBoy on January 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Many of these countries had a lower opinion of the USA when we had 5% unemployment and $300 billion deficits. When we go bankrupt everyone will love us.

Wigglesworth on January 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Okay, so I get most of these ratings, though Turkey is rather sad. When have we been disloyal to Turkey? Still I get it, we weakened Iraq as a counter balance to Iran. There is a legitimate beef there.

But what did we ever do to Greece? Why do the Greeks hate us?

Sackett on January 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM

It’s kind of frightening that only 80% of Americans like America,

SWalker on January 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

So, 20% of Americans are college profs and their indoctrinees (students)?

CJ on January 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I would have guessed the People’s Republic of California.

MikeA on January 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

They never should have been allowed into NATO in the first place.

wildcat72 on January 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

They really needed to be, mostly to help bottle up the Soviet Black Sea Fleet if necessary.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Doesn’t Kenya get at least half credit?

viking01 on January 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM

RalphyBoy on January 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I also have trouble believing that any Eastern European country, especially Poland or Ukraine, has a stronger opinion of the United States now than it did in 2007 when we had a government that was at least a little willing to raise a fuss rather than sell them directly to Putin.

Too much seems slanted by earlier narrative creation about Bush and the Iraq war making us hated overseas. That’s an entirely false dynamic outside of Western European leftists and the Mideast Muslims that hate us for backing Israel anyway.

Gingotts on January 13, 2013 at 2:33 AM

The model Islamic democracy is India. It is where the most Moslems live under a democratic government.

Democracy has a hard time in countries with abysmally low levels of education. Strong men thrive in countries that have an abysmally low level of education.

Only a few hundred Western books a year get translated into Arabic.

It all correlates.

We should be airdropping in radios and books by night.

And the occasional graphic novel and comic book.

Limpet6 on January 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I thought it was a trick question. I thought it was us. We’re the most anti-American country in the world. We’re certainly succeeding in destroying ourselves. I don’t see how anyone else comes close.

JellyToast on January 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don’t consider the Upper West Side a country, although I have to go there for dinner tonight.

Rixon on January 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM