Green Room

Pew global survey: The most anti-American country in the world is…

posted at 12:47 pm on January 12, 2013 by

If you look only at the topline question it’s a tie between Jordan and Pakistan. But don’t look only at the topline question. Click around in the left sidebar at the link and watch how some of the numbers change as you get into specifics — opinions of American democracy, American business, etc. When you get to American technology and scientific advances, even a near-majority of Pakistanis (47/27) have a favorable opinion. There’s only one country where anti-Americans outnumber pro-Americans on every single question. Here’s a hint: We’re duty bound by treaty to come to their defense if they’re attacked.

While you’re there, compare the numbers for “American ideas and customs” to the numbers for “American music, movies, and television.” Hmmm.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But only a 52% favorable view of the US and only 23% think it’s good that American “ideas and customs” are spreading to Germany.

SteveMG on January 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I don’t really have a problem with this one; compare to Muslim “ideas and customs” spreading to America

affenhauer on January 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Well we know 47% of Americans detest America.

pat on January 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM

i can’t say I dislike Turkey the most. But I do detest them.

pat on January 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I thought you were gonna say … Amerika.

stukinIL4now on January 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM

You know, we nuked Japan almost 70 years ago, and they are about the most positive ally we have, if this poll is any indication.

Second look at nuking the Middle East?

arik1969 on January 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Funniest thing I’ve read all year. And to answer… Yes, and we might as well put on some reading glasses.

ahlaphus on January 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Second look at nuking the Middle East?

arik1969 on January 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Interesting argument, and not without merit.

“Asskicking equals friendship” isn’t just a TV and video game trope, it really does have merit in real life. When a nation gets itself completely curbstomped by an opponent, even dumb people think “hmm…maybe we should try to be their friends so we don’t get such a beatdown again!”

MelonCollie on January 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Can’t say as I disagree with you in general… But there was a very high percentage of smiles and interest in talking to me after they knew I’m an American. Perhaps those smiles were surprise at meeting an American walking around solo… Not many of US over there.

RalphyBoy on January 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I’m a Brit originally and an Aussie for over 30 years so I see Australians both as an outsider and an insider. Unfortunately, a great many, probably the majority of Australians carry a low grade dislike of Americans in general (known as ‘septics’, from rhyming slang ‘septic tanks ‘ – Yanks) borne of bad attitude towards US forces in WW2 (there were several major riots/brawls on Aust soil between US and Aust servicemen, including at least one gun battle I know of) and also arising from, I believe, mistaking American optimism for arrogance and being bathed in the anti-American sludge pumped out by our mainly left-wing media.

One on one, Aussies are the friendliest people around and it’s strange but I think they really don’t understand that there’s a contradiction in how genuinely and sincerely friendly they can be to a person one on one then ‘slag off’ to the max about their country of origin, etc. When I arrived here, the Brits (or ‘Poms’) were equally disliked, criticism was often open and blunt.

One other point I could make is that indeed it is correct there aren’t many Americans in Australia, I mean actually living here, and the only ones I have ever met (in one of this country’s most cosmopolitan cities) have been card-carrying loud-mouthed Democrats. It leads me to think that (a) Americans who leave America do so because they don’t like their country (I didn’t leave England for that reason but in the end it was why I stayed away) so (b) more US lefties don’t like America than US conservatives and (c) the majority of Americans Aussie get to meet are Democrats and that’s why (d) they don’t like Americans.

Or something like that.

The Thin Man Returns on January 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The District of Columbia?

profitsbeard on January 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Let’s play “Who wants to give Billions to Turkey?” New game show idea. Should help with our PR problem in Turkey

JP1986UM on January 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Jackie Chan wins the game! Well….he got close anyhow.

Bmore on January 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Missing a few important ones… Canada, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Chicago…

right2bright on January 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Feinsteinistan.

Limerick on January 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

What is it with the Germans and Obama? They have the highest confidence level for him at 86%.

SteveMG on January 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Probably because they already had a Weimar Republic and they are ecstatic that Obastard is building one here in the US.

bbinfl on January 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Comment pages: 1 2

Top Pick

“It would be catastrophic if the President were to fire the special counsel.”

“The blockade breached institutional values of freedom of expression and assembly.”

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”