Green Room

Walk like a man, Shawty-Lo

posted at 2:20 pm on January 10, 2013 by

Since I never get much of an opportunity to watch episodic television, I end up missing pivot moments of civilization like, er … All My Babies.  The new Oxygen reality series follows Carlos “Shawty-Lo” Walker as he lives life with eleven children from ten different women.  Steven Crowder has seen it and he’s not much of a fan, as his latest column makes clear:

Now I get that Carlos is an extreme example of a screw-up being used by some high-up network executives as a desperate grab for ratings. The problem is that this kind of behavior is becoming increasingly indicative of men in the 21st century.

Today’s left-leaning, pseudo-feminist society has bred men to believe that they are not intrinsically different and/or valuable in comparison to their female counterparts (and vice versa). …

The only difference between someone like our friend Carlos Short and I, is that he’s bought into the lie.  Why shouldn’t he have ten “baby-mammas”?  Those women, sorry, persons, don’t need a man or a husband. Who needs a nuclear family with a strong male figurehead when you’ve got politically correct, warm fuzzies on which to fall back?

Also, suggesting that a mother needs a husband and that a child needs a father… well that’s getting dangerously close to the line of “judging.”  To many on the left, that already has you walking on paper-thin ice.

It’s important that people like you and Shorty Lowlife don’t misunderstand me here. I’m not advocating that men try to live up to any kind of macho, beer-chugging, deer-huntin’ archetype of masculinity perpetuated by bad country music songs and closeted homosexuals.

I am however advocating that men start taking ownership of their lives (including their mistakes), step into the leadership roles they were designed to fulfill and that they start treating the women in their lives with the respect that they deserve.

On a side note, this is why I feel better and better about skipping most of the channels on my cable system.  Even A&E and Bio, which used to feature some interesting content, has become the Poltergeist Networks, with a heavy dose of celebrity ghost hauntings featuring washed-up C-listers.  No thanks.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Hot Air comments on bad culture, so I don’t have to view it. :)

22044 on January 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I wonder how much demand there would be for a “Maths Channel” or a “Physics Channel.” How about a Chess Game Channel that would discuss classic moves, bios of important players and an Annual Tournament with a cash payout?
I must be getting old.

ExpressoBold on January 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

On a side note, this is why I feel better and better about skipping most of the channels on my cable system. Even A&E and Bio, which used to feature some interesting content, has become the Poltergeist Networks, with a heavy dose of celebrity ghost hauntings featuring washed-up C-listers. No thanks.

There is still TV worth watching. However, most of it is on either AMC or Showtime.

Kataklysmic on January 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Uhh, yeah. Probably can’t say here what I’m tempted to. But I’m also confidant “Shawty” refers to himself with that term, so, it’s all good, yo.

M240H on January 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

i’m getting rid of cable

ted c on January 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I must be getting old.

ExpressoBold on January 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Would the upcoming King of the Nerds show work…?

22044 on January 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Trying to make Honey Boo Boo look respectable by comparison?

rbj on January 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

A&E had Duck Dynasty – best dang show on TV.

gophergirl on January 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Gold Rush on Discovery

Todd Hoffman 2016

eyesky on January 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

There is a reason besides budget as to why we stopped paying for tv about six years ago and pretty much stopped watching tv all together shortly after that.

Garbage.

Logus on January 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Gold Rush on Discovery

Todd Hoffman 2016

eyesky on January 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

has he unearthed his first ounce of gold yet? i’ve seen what feels like 5 seasons’ worth of shows and all he does is fail.

parker schnabel 2016!

sesquipedalian on January 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Hey. Lorenzo Lamas, MaryAnne from Gilligans Island, and Customer #3 in When Harry Met Sally are fascinating people who deserve your time, Ed. ///

portlandon on January 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

parker schnabel 2016!

sesquipedalian on January 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Hoffman does better than the guys on Jungle Gold did. They take the failure cake!

Tony Beets 2016 (don’t care that he’s not an American)

Gredd on January 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Tony Beets 2016 (don’t care that he’s not an American)

Gredd on January 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

both shows are heavily scripted but jungle gold jumped the shark in the opening credits of its pilot. not watching it.

sesquipedalian on January 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

archetype of masculinity perpetuated by bad country music songs

Whoah, whoah, whoah!!! You back that horse right on up! You’re out of your cotton-pickin’ mind if you think there’s bad country music!

GWB on January 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

1. Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth Cause I’m Kissing You Good-bye.

2. I Don’t Know Whether To Kill Myself or Go Bowling.

3. If I Can’t Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number Two On You.

4. I Sold A Car To A Guy Who Stole My Girl,
But It Don’t Run So We’re Even.

5. Mama Get A Hammer (There’s A Fly On Daddy’s Head).

6. If The Phone Don’t Ring, You’ll Know It’s Me.

7. She’s Actin’ Single and I’m Drinkin’ Doubles.

8. How Can I Miss You If You Won’t Go Away.

9. I Keep Forgettin’ I Forgot About You.

10. I Liked You Better Before I Knew You So Well.

11. I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim’s Gettin’ Better.

12. I Wouldn’t Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I’m Afraid She’d Win.

13. I’ll Marry You Tomorrow, But Let’s Honeymoon Tonight.

14. I’m So Miserable Without You; It’s Like Having You Here.

15. I’ve Got Tears In My Ears From Lying On My Back Cryin’ Over You.

16. If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I’d Be Out By Now.

17. My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don’t Love You.

18. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend and I Sure Do Miss Him.

19. Please Bypass My Heart.

20. She Got The Ring and I Got The Finger.

21. You Done Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat.

22. You’re the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly.

23. Her Teeth Were Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure.

24. She’s Looking Better After Every Beer.

25. I Ain’t Never Gone To Bed With An Ugly Woman,
But I Sure Woke Up With a Few.

katy the mean old lady on January 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

katy the mean old lady on January 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Many years ago, I saw a guy in my class wearing a hat with #18 on it. It was hilarious!

22044 on January 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Cable TV?

Oh, you mean what I used to watch before NetFlix… yeah. That was some time ago… although I shamefacedly admit to using torrents for a small while in between (illegal, once there was a reasonable priced option I did quit).

That was some expensive crap that you couldn’t filter through wasn’t it. I can’t imagine pay an extra $60 on top of my internet bill for that again.

People still watch that?

Weird… I feel like I did sending a “fax” to someone last week.

gekkobear on January 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

They got treated with the respect they deserved when they spread their legs without first tying the knot.

Now, with respect to this drama, there are some innocents involved — the children. How about shawty-lo try to do right by them?

unclesmrgol on January 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

unclesmrgol on January 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Not watching to find out. O_o

kim roy on January 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Whatever. Did we expect something worthy of our sensibilities? Heck no. Look where this country is at and where it has been heading, damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead, these last 4 very long years. Foisting utterly cradle-to-grave dependency on Government upon this entire Nation is the obvious goal – and it’ll be another very long 4 years of it – at least. Free or greatly reduced rent HUD housing, Welfare, and Food Stamps is where it’s at in Obamaville, yo.

The fact that Hollywood and practically everyone employed therein are America loathing reprobates notwithstanding, between the utter soul-sucking festering garbage they are mass producing for theaters coupled with the never ending cycle of television’s 5 minutes of show 4 minutes of commercials 5 minutes of show 4 minutes of commercials 5 minutes of show 4 minutes of commercials — Hollywood movies and Hollywood television can kiss my arse forever more.

I support neither in every way I possibly can.

No more movie theaters. Ever. No matter what the deeply disingenuous heavily financially compensated so-called ‘independent movie critics’ have to say about the way over-hyped flick(s). We have a huge top of the line 70″ HDTV, top of the line Blu-ray with wifi [that's actually hardwire LAN-port bridged from a wifi repeater which works so awesome - no more buffering - ever!], and an extremely awesome Bose 7.1 surround entertainment system to enjoy whatever I deem worthy of my time and interest, and my children’s time and attention, in my home.

No more television. Except for on-demand series that I can enjoy without time constraints, and commercial free. I just gotta pay a few bucks. A very fair exchange to watch only what I deem worthy of my time and interest — and totally commercial free.

Cable box is parent-pin locked and chaperoned trips to the theater with friends and their parents must be pre-approved. At least for a couple more years anyway.

The people who elected Barack Hussein Obama — twice — and their entire ilk can have it all for themselves. Suffer it gladly, reprobates.

SD Tom on January 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

katy the mean old lady on January 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Wow!!!!

ExpressoBold on January 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Would the upcoming King of the Nerds show work…?

22044 on January 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Oh, good grief, no.

ExpressoBold on January 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM

So the man needs to step up and be a man again? What about the rabid irresponsibility of the women in this scenario? It goes uncommented on, of course because the women are ‘baby mommas’ and the dad is not responsible. He needs to step up.

Why? Seriously why should he “step up”? What benefit does he get from it? Anyone of the women he had ‘stepped up’ to marry could have divorced him without any consequence whatsoever. None of them exercised any responsibility in keeping their legs together, but simply and wantonly s.l.u.t.t.e.d. it up with this man. Wow!

theblackcommenter on January 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM