Green Room

Pat Toomey On How Firm He’ll Stand For Entitlement Reform Before Debt Ceiling Increase: Whatever It Takes

posted at 7:49 pm on January 7, 2013 by

The conservative fiscal hawk from the Keystone State, Pat Toomey, appears on Hugh Hewitt’s show tonight, and let no wiggle room about the standoff that’s coming. For those of you on the right who just know the Republicans are going to cave yet again when faced with the media firestorm and blame game over defaulting on our obligation, Senator Toomey, along with Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul and many other voices from both Houses of Congress, seem to be galvanizing very quickly for the standoff that is coming.

Here’s just a bit of what Senator Toomey said:

HH: So looking at that, are you willing to go through, as Senator Paul said on the program last week, before Senator McConnell came on, Senator Paul was on. He said look, I’ll go through the debt ceiling. In fact, he won’t vote for a debt ceiling without a balanced budget amendment. I don’t think many people will agree with that position, but are you willing to see it go through in order to get real reform?

PT: Well, I was on Morning Joe a couple of days ago, Hugh, and I made the point very clearly, if we go past the deadline on debt ceiling, it means some bills don’t get paid for a while? That is disruptive, that is not optimal, I certainly hope we can avoid it. But I would rather pay that price, if that’s the price we have to pay to start to get us on a sustainable fiscal path, I’d rather pay that price now than the kind of fiscal and financial and monetary collapse that awaits us if we continue with this Obama spending policy. So the answer is I’m not voting for a debt ceiling increase unless we get some meaningful reforms that start to put us on a sustainable path.

HH: Will you use the parliamentary tactics available to you to force that as well?

PT: If the reforms are not adequate, I will.

Message to Congressional Republicans. The more members take a public hard line on the debt ceiling debate, drawing a very clearly line in the sand that they are willing to take us over the edge barring significant reforms to entitlements, the better. And the sooner, the better.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

We’ll see. what good can possibly come in regards to entitlement reform with The One still in office?

Donald Draper on January 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Donald Draper on January 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Damn if he does, damn if he doesn`t.

ThePrez on January 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

God bless you, Pat. You’re one vote and we re-elected The Won. Good on ya if you’re the kind of fighter you claim to be, but I doubt it and it won’t do much good even if you are.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

In the event that I see it, I’ll believe it. Until then, I want to know why he voted yea on the crappy fiscal cliff bill.

Naturally Curly on January 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

One result of bad credit is the inability to borrow more. Is that a bad thing?

We need to stop spending borrowed money. If the federal government was a spendy wife, the bitch would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago.

Spartacus on January 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Naturally Curly on January 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Republicans always talk a good game until the time actually comes for them to, you know, do something.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I have fallen for too many of these promises and now make a game of finding their -outs-. He said “some meaningful reforms”. Lost me there. I’ve seen their definitions of meaningful before…oh yeah, recently. Buncha poop.

hayekite on January 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

People need to know in simple terms the extent of the problem.
Craft a bill with all the needed taxes to balance the budget this year.
Call it the Obamatax Bill.
Put a 75% rate on the rich and spread the rest out on the middle class and the poor and let people see what the real cost of current spending is.
Then ask if they would rather have spending cuts instead.

MHatch on January 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

How many times do we do we have to go through this before everyone learns we are being played by the Washington ruling class. I no longer believe anyone and expect the can to be kicked down the road one more time. No one in Washington can be trusted to have the backbone to put a stop to spending.

RickinNH on January 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. It only would hav taken one person with guts to force reading the entire Obamacare bill out loud (skipping that step requires unanimous assent) but no one wanted to breach ‘decorum’.

Professor_Chaos on January 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Excellent. Well stated, Senator.

tommy71 on January 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Exactly. Whatever happened to those 20 representatives that were going to vote against Boneless for Speaker? Where’s that ol’ Tea Party Spirit?

Since they’re just coming off an election and won’t have to worry about another one for another year, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Last time though. If they’re bullied into being nicey-nice and we get no serious spending reform coupled with MORE debt, I’m giving up on the GOP for good.

TMOverbeck on January 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Mr. Toomey and everyone else will forgive me if I remain skeptical. Trust is hard-won, and easy-lost – and the GOP has lost it. It’s going to take a long time – replete with examples of them *doing* what they say they’ll do – to regain that trust.

Until then, Mr. Toomey et al – “pull the other one.”

Midas on January 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

They will most likely hold out until they get some good solid *promises* of spending cuts down the road.
Spineless.

Mimzey on January 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

And those promises will be for cuts in proposed spending, not actual spending. :P

TMOverbeck on January 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

This is fundamentally the problem – Republicans SUCK at message control!!!

The biggest lie told by all of the Obama surrogates is that not raising the debt ceiling = defaulting on debt obligations. That is totally false. There is more than enough monthly revenue to service our debt obligations and pay our non-discretionary programs (Social Security). The part that takes a hit, if you have any financial sense at all, is discretionary spending for which this administration, by proxy through Harry Reid in the Senate, has not passed a budget to clearly detail what they intend to do.

If there is a default on our debt service payments or a reduction in SS payments, it because OBAMA CHOOSES TO DO THAT.

Get the hell out there in the media you GOP dumb-asses and start making that case!!!!!!

powerpickle on January 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM