Video: Mark Kirk returns to the Senate
posted at 4:08 pm on January 3, 2013 by Guy Benson
Keeping a pledge he made last spring, Sen. Mark Kirk climbed the Capitol steps on Thursday to mark his return almost a year after suffering a major stroke. The 53-year-old Republican from Illinois was greeted by two top Democrats: Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Dick Durbin, the senior senator from Illinois. Using a four-pronged cane, Kirk made the climb assisted by Biden and Sen. Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat who is Kirk’s best friend in the Senate. Hundreds of well-wishers stood and applauded, including more than 60 members of Congress.
Kirk, a moderate Republican, suffered a massive stroke last January — nearly one year after he was sworn in as Illinois’ junior Senator, a seat previously held by Barack Obama. He has kept constituents and well-wishers appraised of his health status in a series of YouTube videos, and sat down for an extended on-camera interview yesterday. Here’s to Sen. Kirk’s continued recovery. God speed, sir.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”