Obama signs fiscal cliff bill with “autopen”
posted at 8:13 am on January 3, 2013 by Allahpundit
He could have stayed put for a day and signed it himself in the Oval Office, but if you’re going to make him choose between official presidential business and vay-cay in Hawaii, hey.
Obama left the White House for Hawaii late Tuesday night 44 minutes after the House of Representatives approved the bill. The bill was enrolled Wednesday before being sent to the White House for the President’s signature, but with Obama 4,800 miles away he directed it to be signed using an automatic signature machine.
“We received the bill late this afternoon, and it was immediately processed,” a senior White House official said early Thursday morning. “A copy was delivered to the President for review. He then directed the bill be signed by autopen.”
Like I said on Tuesday, he was the only player in this fiasco who seemed to regard the nuts and bolts of the fiscal cliff with appropriate contempt. He didn’t care how little revenue he got or how few spending cuts there were, he cared about driving a wedge in the House GOP caucus. It was a political ploy to him, not a serious deficit reduction measure. Why not sign this sham in autopen?
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”