Poll: Number of Republicans hopeful about the future hits 21st-century low
posted at 12:19 pm on December 27, 2012 by Allahpundit
Saw this the other day and can’t stop thinking about it. It makes all the sense in the world that conservatives would be despondent after Obama’s re-election. But more despondent than liberals were after the Bushitler’s re-election?
A lot more, as it turns out:
Why are the numbers so much worse for Republicans now than they were for Democrats in 2004? It can’t be because the GOP thinks Obama’s done irreversible damage to the U.S.; Bush-hating liberals thought the same about Dubya. Besides, we’ve got a deep bench for 2016. Is it a demographic thing, with Republicans fearing that they’ll never (or seldom) enjoy power again?
Update: An obvious possibility: It’s not just politics that’s got Republicans down. Democrats in 2004 could console themselves with the fact that the economy was doing fine and their jobs were secure. Not so now.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation