Green Room

Video: Meet the woman who got fired for being irresistible

posted at 1:41 pm on December 23, 2012 by

It took the dentist 10 years to decide that she’s too alluring for him to employ safely?

On the other hand, if this was just a pretext, it’s an awfully odd choice of pretext. Why risk a lawsuit by sexualizing the reason for dismissing her when you could simply say you weren’t happy with her work?

Update: Your quote of the day:

“Dr. Knight acknowledges he once told Nelson that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,” the justices wrote.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She doesn’t seem that irresistible. The dentist is one ugly dog and looks like one of those jerks who thinks he’s God’s gift to women. I hope she has further legal recourse and pursues it. And I hope that the dentist loses most of his patients and has to close his practice. Has Sandra Fluke spoken out on her behalf yet? Where are the female libturds screaming about the war on women, or is she too good looking to make the libturd cut?

stukinIL4now on December 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Piggish. Dentist.

FlaMurph on December 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

How far out on a limb is one going when saying that that women has some unresolved issues? :)

Anti-Control on December 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I tell ya, she doesn’t just have issues, she’s got whole subscriptions, bada-bing!

Eh, what are you people–an audience or an oil painting?

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Like I said earlier there is more to the story.

terryannonline on December 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Some of the comments on this string are disgusting and piggish. Congratulations on lowering the discourse, which is nothing new where a female is involved.

This isn’t about whether the barnyard animals on the internet find someone attractive or feel enamored of her various body parts (after all, women are always fair game, right?).

The doctor made the statements, openly admitted the statements, and fired her. There is no dispute as to the facts. There is no “more to the story” — this case hinged on a question of Iowa law, that’s all. It was fully litigated in an official fact-finding forum, a court of law, not in a locker room like this has become. And adjudicated all the way to the Iowa Supreme Court. I expect the Iowa Supreme Court knew at least as much about the case as the giggling schoolboys in the blog sphere.

So, of course, the first comments about this new interpretation of sex discrimination in the workplace go straight to trashing the woman’s appearance. It’s childish and demeaning – not to her, to the commenter.

No class.

IndieDogg on December 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Eh, what are you people–an audience or an oil painting?

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

lol :)

Talking about issues and subscriptions…

IndieDogg on December 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

That was a nice rant from a delusional, obnoxious, projecting know-it-all with a poor sense of humor!

Anti-Control on December 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM

His business his rules.

29Victor on December 24, 2012 at 3:18 AM

IndieDogg on December 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Lighten up Francis.

You really think we wouldn’t “lower the discourse” just as much if the genders were reversed?

You new in town lady?

29Victor on December 24, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Like I said earlier there is more to the story.

terryannonline on December 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Some choice quotes and facts from that Daily Mail article:

Nelson insisted she was never interested in Knight romantically, regardless of his own feelings.

“Absolutely not,” she said. “I’m happily married.”

According to people like IndieDogg, we should all just take Nelson’s word for it because women, all of whom are as pure as the driven snow, never lie about their sexual feelings, never flirt with married men either consciously or unconsciously, and never involve themselves in adulterous affairs!

Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion.

He also once allegedly remarked about her infrequent sex life by saying, ‘that’s like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.’

According to people like IndieDogg, it’s dumb to be inquisitive about this tawdry situation, and wonder why there apparently wasn’t a sexual problem between them for most of 10 years, or why he knew about ‘her infrequent sex life’, as such distracting concerns are irrelevant to the larger story, which is what a horny, aggressive, disgusting barnyard animal Knight is compared to Nelson’s existence as an untainted, heavenly being!

Nelson filed a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, arguing she would not have been terminated if she was male. She did not allege sexual harassment because Knight’s conduct may not have risen to that level and didn’t particularly offend her, Fiedler said.

According to people like IndieDogg, again, it’s dumb to be inquisitive about this tawdry situation, and wonder why the sexual commentary Knight made about her ‘didn’t particularly offend her’ or leave her feeling sexual harassed – knowing this about her, is it possible that Nelson is aware she had been provoking his sexual commentary? That she liked his risque comments, and found them to be entertaining and/or stimulating? That she was sexually frustrated, and becoming more attracted to Knight?

Well, let me tell you, if you find yourself asking such questions, people like IndieDogg will be here to remind you that you are a sexually obsessed pig with an irrational desire to demean women, whenever and wherever you can!

Anti-Control on December 24, 2012 at 3:39 AM

My guess is that ten years ago the wife thought of herself as hot too. Then she got dumpy looking and everyone better looking than her was a threat. She insisted the Dentist fire the worker to prove to herself that she still had control of the situation. Women do that sort of thing. If the employee was talking about her sex life at work, it probably isn’t that strange the wife got sick of it.

Night Owl on December 24, 2012 at 5:49 AM

This knucklehead newsreader, without partisan agenda political talking points, is adrift trying to interview this woman. I’ve seen better high school paper interviews.

MarkT on December 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM

The problem here is not that this chick was fired for being irresistible, but, that her boss told her that she was being fired because was irresistible. In the future, I’m sure that this dentist and employers across Iowa will avoid telling their employees the truth about why they are being terminated (not a good thing).

Pork-Chop on December 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I’ll tell you who was really behind this lawsuit.. it was the guy’s wife. She’s probably the one who said.. fire her or I’ll kill you.

JellyToast on December 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Anti-Control on December 24, 2012 at 3:39 AM

The difference between sexual harrassment and flirting is whether the target of the comments is attracted to the other.

Mitoch55 on December 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM

There is no such thing as innocent flirtation.

LincolntheHun on December 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Regardless of the legality, this was an incredibly stupid decision that will probably negatively impact the dentist’s business and make himself and his wife the butt of many jokes in a small town like Ft. Dodge.

He will probably lose many of his female clients as well as males, like me, who enjoy seeing a reasonably attractive – but hardly irresisiable – dental assistant for a change.

bw222 on December 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Not too sure about that. Dr. Knight looks pretty ghay to me.

bw222 on December 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

No class.

IndieDogg on December 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

C’est moi!

petefrt on December 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM

She’s probably the one who said.. fire her or I’ll kill you.

JellyToast on December 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Dollar to donut says yer right.

petefrt on December 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Buick. Maybe.

justltl on December 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

If they’re in a right to work state he can fire you for any reason (except those relating to special classes as laid out by the Constitution). Suck it up and move on.

Mitoch55 on December 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Not sure what Constitution you’re referring to, but the U.S. Constitution does’t have any protected classes of citizens laid out when it comes to private contracting for labor.

Now, unconstitutional federal law has some protected classes laid out, but that’s contra the Constitution, not in the Constitution.

Malachi45 on December 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Malachi45 on December 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Quite right. I was thinking of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment and the laws arising from interpretations of that.

Either way, my intial point is still valid. In a right to work state, the dentist can fire an employee for any reason (or none).

Mitoch55 on December 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That dentist has some low standards she something you pick up at closing time on a like a Wednesday at best. That broad is very average looking so figured that the dentist old lady must be some sort heinous beast.

Your Mamma loves me on December 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

If you own a family business I think that you should be able to hire and fire workers as you see fit, I don’t care if she got fired because she eats green beans, she has no right to work there.

Dollayo on December 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So Ft. Dodge Iowa only has 1 dentist and she is limited in where she can ply her trade? It seems to me that she is a skilled worked and should be able to find a dental hygenist role in ANY dental office. Otherwise whe was there for her looks only. Something any liberal should find appaling.
LOL

nicknack60 on December 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

JellyToast on December 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

This
I was married to this type of wife, “either fire her of lose half of everything, child support and alimony.”

Rio Linda Refugee on December 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Buick. Maybe.

justltl on December 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

LOL

BoxHead1 on December 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Waiting for a counter suit filed by Gloria Allred in 3..2..1….

vcferlita on December 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I think the dentist needs to get out more often. Really? This woman?

And all this time I thought I had issues for wanting to schtoop my mother-in-law.

Polish Rifle on December 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I think there’s something missing from this story that would explain it all.

Is ‘she’ actually a she-male?

That would make sense.

CorporatePiggy on December 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I think there’s something missing from this story that would explain it all.

Is ‘she’ actually a she-male?

That would make sense.

CorporatePiggy on December 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

She has these masculine features. A pronounced iliac crest and an adams apple. These features can’t be masked by hormone treatments. Plus, that guy looks like flamer.

Red Creek on December 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Buick. Maybe.

justltl on December 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

+100

petefrt on December 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

IndieDogg, it seems I misunderstood a portion of the intent of your post, not actually due to poor reading comprehension on my part but to the fact that I didn’t even fully read it the first time around, which I am only realizing now as I reread it.

As an explanation-excuse rather than an excuse-excuse, I can tell you I was tired when I saw it and was thrown off by some of the verbiage you used, which ended up affecting me so that I didn’t think to make sure I had accurately read what you said before I responded to you.

I apologize to you for the error I made.

Anti-Control on December 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Just in case I wasn’t clean enough, IndieDogg, I was saying that I quickly skimmed your post at first and ended up not reading every sentence you typed – if I had, the tone and content of my reply to you would have been much different.

Anti-Control on December 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

cleanr

Anti-Control on December 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Wives that are involved with a husband’s practice always cause problems, speaking from experience( not mine, but a friend). She was very jealous and ran staff off all of the time if she felt threatened.

Luckily( or unluckily) I don’t have staff that would knock your socks off.

Drill and Fill on December 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

PS; Since my staff and I deal with people from every walk of life, we could tell you some bizarre stories.Wife beaters, husband beaters,HIV/AIDS patients(most have died off), A male who was a female(sex change) and is now in a homosexual relation with a guy, go fish!

Drill and Fill on December 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM