Green Room

Video: An Army of One … brave little soldier

posted at 5:26 pm on December 22, 2012 by

Pull out the hankies for this story. When an Army major in Kuwait found out that a 10-year-old boy in his home town was undergoing treatment for cancer and that his life’s ambition was to serve in the Army, he rounded up soldiers in the Albany area to make a dream come true.

According to the Albany Herald, Maj. Norland James spoke to Quarles over Skype after a friend of his who is a nurse at Gilchrest Hospice Center in Baltimore — where the 10-year-old spends most of his time — told her about the boy and how he loved the idea of being in the army.

James said he liked the idea of being able to video chat with Quarles, but he wanted to do more than that. He spoke to some servicemen from Ft. Meade, which is near the hospice, and arranged for a surprise for Quarles.

James and Quarles spoke for about 15 minutes before James told the child to go outside. When he did, there were about 25 military and civilian personnel standing outside his home. Quarles, who was already dressed in military fatigues, sat in front of American flag and was then approached by Captain Brandon Crawford.

“It came to my attention that one of your lifelong ambitions was to become a soldier,” Crawford said. “So I brought a few of my troops here to make you an honorary member of the United States Army. What do you think of that?”

Quarles smiled and nodded. His dream was finally coming true.

I’d write more, but something just flew into my eye.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Don’t you just hate winter allergies?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

A lot of stuff is flying into eyes. I got hit by some.

FOWG1 on December 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He’s a nice looking boy. Looks older and acts more mature than most 10 year olds.

Blake on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Khalil Quarles is one of the bravest young Soldiers I have ever seen. If his cancer goes into remission, I would love to see him in “Dress Blues and Tennis Shoes” on his fifteenth birthday.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Just… there are no words.

Amazing!

Yakko77 on December 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Our soldiers are the best

Dollayo on December 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Thank you, Ed.

Know It All on December 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I hope that little boy pulls through. I can not imagine going through that as his mother. Our troops are awesome!

Night Owl on December 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Top Pick

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

Top Pick

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful