Green Room

Video: An Army of One … brave little soldier

posted at 5:26 pm on December 22, 2012 by

Pull out the hankies for this story. When an Army major in Kuwait found out that a 10-year-old boy in his home town was undergoing treatment for cancer and that his life’s ambition was to serve in the Army, he rounded up soldiers in the Albany area to make a dream come true.

According to the Albany Herald, Maj. Norland James spoke to Quarles over Skype after a friend of his who is a nurse at Gilchrest Hospice Center in Baltimore — where the 10-year-old spends most of his time — told her about the boy and how he loved the idea of being in the army.

James said he liked the idea of being able to video chat with Quarles, but he wanted to do more than that. He spoke to some servicemen from Ft. Meade, which is near the hospice, and arranged for a surprise for Quarles.

James and Quarles spoke for about 15 minutes before James told the child to go outside. When he did, there were about 25 military and civilian personnel standing outside his home. Quarles, who was already dressed in military fatigues, sat in front of American flag and was then approached by Captain Brandon Crawford.

“It came to my attention that one of your lifelong ambitions was to become a soldier,” Crawford said. “So I brought a few of my troops here to make you an honorary member of the United States Army. What do you think of that?”

Quarles smiled and nodded. His dream was finally coming true.

I’d write more, but something just flew into my eye.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Don’t you just hate winter allergies?

JPeterman on December 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

A lot of stuff is flying into eyes. I got hit by some.

FOWG1 on December 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He’s a nice looking boy. Looks older and acts more mature than most 10 year olds.

Blake on December 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Khalil Quarles is one of the bravest young Soldiers I have ever seen. If his cancer goes into remission, I would love to see him in “Dress Blues and Tennis Shoes” on his fifteenth birthday.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Just… there are no words.

Amazing!

Yakko77 on December 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Our soldiers are the best

Dollayo on December 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Thank you, Ed.

Know It All on December 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I hope that little boy pulls through. I can not imagine going through that as his mother. Our troops are awesome!

Night Owl on December 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM
Top Pick

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”