Green Room

Finally: Celebrities for gun control

posted at 11:46 am on December 22, 2012 by

Via THR, you know they’re serious because it’s filmed in black and white.

If, like me, you believe that the gun debate is chiefly a function of an urban/rural blue state/red state culture clash, then having a bunch of rich Hollywood liberals tsk tsk opponents of gun regulations is an almost uniquely bad way to try to soften them up. But never mind that. Here’s my counteroffer: Since they’re all about solutions, what’s their Plan B if they somehow get a new assault weapons ban passed and the shootings continue? Columbine took place halfway through the old assault weapons ban; Connecticut has an assault weapons ban in place as we speak. Is there any scenario here where, in the name of solving the problem, these people would consider conservative solutions? Or is the answer to failed gun control simply more gun control?

And a follow up question. Is there a single person here who wouldn’t support a total ban on handguns if it were constitutionally possible? Prominent lefties, Obama and Chuck Schumer, have paid a lot of lip service lately to the idea that liberals don’t want to confiscate weapons wholesale. How many of our moral betters below agree with that?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Hollywood is the butt end of the moral compass. You will seldom go wrong if you just do the opposite of what they do.

juliesa on December 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

So all those stars are gonna give up their armed bodyguards right? ///

warren on December 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Why couldn’t I recognize most of these “useful idiots”?

Why does this performance come across as fake and insincere as most of everything else they do?

mad scientist on December 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

They’re not in the business of having plans, only in the business of demanding a plan. And when those plans fail, they’ll demand more plans.

It’s like a culture of perpetual 4 year olds. And I know, because I have a 4 year old son right now.

Sgt Steve on December 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM

When you stop making violent movies and t.v. shows, making millions off of it and buying you`re fancy carbon-belching house, series of non-eco sports cars and buying trips to the Bahamas on a private jet…… Then I`ll listen to you.

ThePrez on December 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Just as soon as they (a) vow to never use a gun in any of their movies (i.e. profit from the violence they abhor) and (b) give up their armed bodyguards and security teams in their own daily lives, THEN I might listen to what they have to say. “Might,” but doubtful.

glockomatic on December 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’m surprised I actually recognized quite a few of them. Just makes me want to avoid watching whatever they’re appearing in.

In fact, I think I’ll watch it again and make my own list–a list of entertainers to avoid.

juliesa on December 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Yet so-called conservatives continue patronize these commie’s at the local movie theaters.

Mr. Arrogant on December 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

They all forgot to add “As a Liberal and Obama ass kisser” !

Jersey Dan on December 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM

This is a hard one, I could support a ban on all guns if that means the majority of Hollywood goes out of business. Same for hip-hop, gansta rap music/videos.

moonsbreath on December 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Oh, noeessss!!1!!! Ron from Parks & Recs — I could have sworn he was a “libertarian” in real life.

Those really aren’t big names in entertainment. I wanted to do some opposition research and add up the number of people some of these leftard actors have shot on film. Unfortunately, these are small fishes.

Blake on December 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I only recognize about 25% of them. Out of that 25%, I know less than half of their names.

Blake on December 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM

It’s just a viral video marketing Jamie Foxx’s new shoot-em-up movie Django Unchained.

blammm on December 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn’t do it.”
–William S. Burroughs

Rae on December 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This is a form of prayer to the God of government. They believe the pathologies of individuals and society can be cured if only the anointed in Washington would hand down a proclamation to us mere mortals, which would magically make the world a better place. Never mind that no entity in the history of the world has more blood on its hands than government. These naive and ignorant children want to believe the absurd notion that imperfect people can create a perfect society by edict.

RadClown on December 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Not sure I recognize 20% of these actors.

I have a plan. It’s an old one but a good one – the Constitution. Uphold and defend it against all libtards, Hollyweird and domestic.

CorporatePiggy on December 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Mr. Arrogant on December 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

+1. If conservatives would refuse to give their money to these clowns, it would be the best political action they could take. You would start to see the culture change.

Dreadnought on December 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I don’t know if these people are deluded enough to think what they say matters to anyone beyond their fan base (assuming they have any) or they just need to be “doing something” in order to make themselves feel good. Either way…

Marxism is for dummies on December 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Seeing newspaper articles today and yesterday, I was struck by a thought.

In the wake of the shooting, politicians of all stripes leapt onto Gun Control (for or against, usually for… of course) to beat their drums for moar powah.

Yet, according to the news, gun sales spiked right after the news broke. Which means, of course, that people view disasters like this as a wake up call for them to get moar shooties.

It would seem to me that this sort of incidental statistical poll data would kick pols right in the kidneys. People, apparently, do NOT want more gun control after a shooting, they want more guns.

SpikeRHSC on December 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Glad to see Jamie Foxx so concerned. I guess his “great to kill people” comment was acting?

/no, genius!

roy_batty on December 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Yeah, like that’s gonna make a difference. “Demand a plan”? Isn’t that what many want Washington to do when it comes to the deficit and national debt? Government ain’t good at much and making plans that actually accomplish the intended purpose is not something it is capable of doing.

lonestarleeroy on December 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM