Green Room

Video: The “Wheel of Fortune” screw job

posted at 1:41 pm on December 21, 2012 by

Via the Blaze, my hunch is that this clip will make a fine true conservative/RINO litmus test. If you agree with Sajak’s verdict, you’re a true con. If you think it’s a screw job, you’re a dirty, dirty RINO.

Guess which side I’m on.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Guess which side I’m on.

Mine? Screw job!

Signed,

– a black-and-white thinking (the operative word here, as it implies the conceptual ability to contextualize) Objectivist libertarian

ShainS on December 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Horse-a-crap.

nicktjacob on December 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We should expect more discipline from those in the military.

theperfecteconomist on December 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Too much to ask to have someone pronounce a ‘G’ I ‘uess.

Left Coast Right Mind on December 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Wait. Whositwhatnow?

Tru con or RINO based on dropping a “g”? My head is a-swimmin’ like the swans.

Fallon on December 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

WOW That is totally wrong. BOOO!

dogsoldier on December 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I didn’t watch the video. But Sajak is the winner!

22044 on December 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Part of me wants to root for the veteran, but after contemplation, no, Pat was right. I mean, come on, how hard is it to pronounce the words that are spelled out right in FRONT OF YOU!

There is such a thing as proper English and pronunciation. Yeah, I slip into vernacular frequently too, but the show is about spelling and pronunciation!!!

Logus on December 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Stupid.

She knew what the phrase was.

RIP-OFF!!!

RedNewEnglander on December 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Are you effing kidding me!?!

Total screw job!

Kensington on December 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This happens more frequently than you might think on WoF. I’ve seen it at least 4 times with dropped Gs costing a contestant a puzzle.

Nethicus on December 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Pat does not make the calls on such things. There’s a judge or judges who makes them. The rules of the game are clear. The answer has to be exact.

That said, if a contestant substitutes “axe” for “ask” as many A-A’s do, would you call it good?

Doug Piranha on December 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM

My Mom won $35,000 on Wheel of Fortune in 1988. There was a faux pas then too. IIRC, they had just added the 3 additional letters on the Grand Prize, and cut the pondering time from 15 seconds to 10 seconds, but Pat forgot, and gave her the full 15 seconds, rather than the 10. But she solved it in less than 10 and won the $25,000, so it was a moot point.

/Mom loves Pat Sajak to death, and was shocked at how petite was Vanna White

Paul-Cincy on December 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Curly blonde nailed it but since her opponent was a military gal, I say TOUGH TOMATOES!!

Sgt. Vulcha

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Dude. Screw job.

Pqlyur1 on December 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

What do you call people who don’t care about what happens on a meaningless game show?

Pythagoras on December 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Guess which side I’m on.

Are you with Pat, or was it a screw job? I gots to know.

Paul-Cincy on December 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I heard the “g”.

So.

RAAAAACISSST!

LoganSix on December 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Ridiculous. All should be ashamed.

John the Libertarian on December 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I was initially uncomfortable with the decision, but the more I thought about it the more I agree with it. This clip should be shown in every English class in high school. It is not acceptable to speak however you choose. There is a correct way to pronounce words and it needs to be taught. Let slackers appreciate that their “colorful” ways of saying words is just incorrect. Don’t give them an “A” for effort.

njrob on December 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That contestant was like the birds one number lower than the seven swans–she really laid an egg.

radjah shelduck on December 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Math Pronunciation is hard.

Steve Eggleston on December 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Does “Wheel” ever add G’s to the G-less?

He loves to go swimmin’
With bowlegged wimmen’
He’s Popeye the Sailor Man!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM

That’s weak.

EddieC on December 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Well obviously the first women didn’t get it because of the dropped G. But clearly the second should not have either – she did not pronounce clearly the double M nor make clear the pause between A and SWIMMING. I also found here Ss a little too sibilant but that’s a mere matter of taste – unlike these critical distinctions.

edshepp on December 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The RULES state you have to say the phrase exactly as it is presented.

I say NOT screwed, she blew it.

44Magnum on December 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I don’t know how people from the New England area ever win.

“Idea” become “Idear” and WHAM, you’re a loser.

b4itsover on December 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Pat Sajak is a Vietnam vet, so don’t think he had it in for the Renee.

Ward Cleaver on December 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I guess a black person won’t ever win a puzzle with any words ending with G or containing the word ask.

Write Wing on December 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Write Wing on December 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

How sad that you’ve never met any black people.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM

How could anyone from Boston have a chance on that show?

STL_Vet on December 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I have no idea whether it was because she’s military, but clearly the WoF judges are from the NFL replacement ref pool.

For cripes’ sake, the “G” was already revealed, there wasn’t any question as to whether the phrase ended in G.

SoRight on December 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Write Wing on December 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

How sad that you’ve never met any black people.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM

As a black man who doesn’t say “aks” or “conversate” or “light-skinded”, thanks.

Now, as far as this puzzle is concerned: Pat and the judges are right. I watched the very first Wheel show with Chuck Woolery (and Susan Stafford, pre-Vanna) in the seventies, but many years ago I stopped watching it because I was so good that watching people blow the puzzles bored me. You’ve got to pronounce the words in the puzzle correctly! For example, if the puzzle is “DON’T WALK,” you can’t get away with saying “Do Not Walk.”

I know about what goes on before taping of game shows. Before anyone sees the studio, all contestants are fully informed of the rules of the game. You are told that if there is a dispute about whether or not you have correctly answered a question, you must wait until taping stops, and only then raise your concern. The tape will be reviewed, the judges will convene, and if you are indeed correct, they WILL re-shoot or edit the final cut of the show to reflect that you correctly answered.

I don’t know if this woman is raising sand about this now, but I’m pretty sure that someone checked the tape before they went to the next puzzle. If it was determined that she had pronounced the “g,” they would have just dropped in video of Pat congratulating her for solving it, and none of us would be talking about it.

L.N. Smithee on December 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

SoRight on December 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

So, she should have pronounced it. I’m sure the judges knew of the possibility that someone would say “swimmin’”, and were ready with the buzzer.

L.N. Smithee on December 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

L.N. Smithee on December 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’ve loved all your movies (obviously “get” your fantastic nom de guerre).

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on December 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

SoRight on December 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

In their defense, she was also a caucasian. Ergo, it is against the rules for her to have any kind of accent becides the one that all TV announcers have.

logis on December 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Odds of Bostonians winning at Wheel of Fortune just dropped 20 points. New Yorkers down 10.

Dusty on December 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Pat’s right but my guess is that Allah would consider me a centrist RINO.

lexhamfox on December 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM

All this bandwidth over Wheel of Fortune?

And we’re fussing at the low-info voter?

davidk on December 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Screw job.

Blake on December 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I watched this episode of WoF the other day when it aired — the first time I’ve watched in years — because I personally know one of the contestants. (The one not involved in this particular controversy, so I’m not biased.)

My thoughts… Meh… If accurate pronunciation is the rule, then it should be enforced.

acasilaco on December 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….Like….

No what I’m sayin….No what I’m sayin….No what I’m sayin….No what I’m sayin….No what I’m sayin….No what I’m sayin….

Speak fu#@ing English.

Know how to spell, speak and write correctly and pay attention to grammar!

Go Sajak!

Opposite Day on December 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

My question is why do people video tape their TVs with a camera? What an odd hobby.

philoquin on December 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Rules is rules.

You have to pronounce the words as written.

They’re dealing with real money and expensive prizes.

Can’t believe so many disagree.

catmman on December 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

philoquin on December 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Are you really asking that? Everyone knows it is because doing so makes the person not at risk of having their YouTube video removed for copyright infringement. I am getting sick and tired of people leaving comments on those kinds of videos asking, “why do people tape their TVs? The quality is so bad.” Ugh.

bluegill on December 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The rules on WoF are very clear. You have to pronounce the words correctly in order for it to count.

It was a screw-job, but it was self-inflicted.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

My mind’s just a-reelin’;

The effers ain’t got no feelin’.

hillbillyjim on December 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

bluegill on December 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Good point, except for those doing Let’s Plays. No excuse for them not to get it right.

As for above, I can see both sides here. She obviously had the right answer, but there has to be a point where what she is saying is not what is up on the board. Wheel of Fortune has to be clear and consistent on that.

On the other hand, what if a contestant with an accent said “Seffen svans a-svimmink…?” That’s clearly farther from the perfectly articulated answer than “Seven Swans a-Swimmin’,” and yet should one be punished for an accent? Was this laziness or an accent? It’s a tough call. I will say though that if they gave it to her most wouldn’t have thought about it, but here it’s a controversy…

Also, side note, but I think the blonde was bsing.. She knew what had happened, and followed through with the expected letter guesses to gain some cash from it, but had to fake uncertainty because she wasn’t comfortable with the call and inheriting the win. I might have done the same…

Gingotts on December 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Wait, she’s the one that asked for the “G”.

I’m flabbergasted.

ButterflyDragon on December 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I wonder if a hypothetical answer contained the word “ask” and someone pronounced it “axe” if they would have given it to them?

ButterflyDragon on December 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM